Laptop Upgrades

Hi,

This is my first time posting on the LTT forum. I have a pretty bad desctop pc (Pentium G4400, EVGA GTX 750ti FTW, 8GB DDR4) but anyway, I wanted to upgrade my laptop because... well... I can't just put my desktop in a suitcase and travel halfway across the world, so as a temporary fix I decided to go with one of those plug-in-the-ram-slot things that you plug in the RAM slot, but that leaves me with 4GB of RAM which is not enough. I have Desktop RAM that I would like to use. Has anyone come across an adaptor of standard to laptop Ram. Thanks and BTW I don't really want a new laptop.  

4 minutes ago, Splodge1231 said:

one of those plug-in-the-ram-slot things that you plug in the RAM slot

please elaborate? also there's not really a way to put desktop DIMMs in a a SODIMM slot even if  you could it probably wouldn't fit in the laptop properly or be the wrong frequency the only way to do it is to buy proper SODIMM ram sticks sorry to disappoint you :( 

I lurk a lot

No, doesn't work like that. That's like saying can you put your desktop mobo into your phone with an "adapter". It's physically impossible. 

CPU - FX 8350 @ 4.5GHZ GPU - Radeon 5700  Mobo - M5A99FX Pro R2.0 RAM - Crucial Ballistix 16GB @ 1600 PSU - Corsair CX600M CPU Cooler - Hyper 212 EVO Storage - Samsung EVO 250GB, WD Blue 1TB

2 minutes ago, peej said:

please elaborate? also there's not really a way to put desktop DIMMs in a a SODIMM slot even if  you could it probably wouldn't fit in the laptop properly or be the wrong frequency the only way to do it is to buy proper SODIMM ram sticks sorry to disappoint you :( 

That's Ok. Might just have to splash out and buy my self some more ram

1 minute ago, Splodge1231 said:

That's Ok. Might just have to splash out and buy my self some more ram

yeah just make sure you get compatible RAM as laptops can be quite fussy 

I lurk a lot

2 minutes ago, peej said:

yeah just make sure you get compatible RAM as laptops can be quite fussy 

How do i know?

3 minutes ago, Splodge1231 said:

How do i know?

Usually on the manufacturers website it'll be on the spec sheet for your model.

PC - CPU Ryzen 5 1600 - GPU Power Color Radeon 5700XT- Motherboard Gigabyte GA-AB350 Gaming - RAM 16GB Corsair Vengeance RGB - Storage 525GB Crucial MX300 SSD + 120GB Kingston SSD   PSU Corsair CX750M - Cooling Stock - Case White NZXT S340

Peripherals - Mouse Logitech G502 Wireless - Keyboard Logitech G915 TKL  Headset Razer Kraken Pro V2's - Displays 2x Acer 24" GF246(1080p, 75hz, Freesync) Steering Wheel & Pedals Logitech G29 & Shifter

4 minutes ago, Splodge1231 said:

How do i know?

The important things you need to know are how many RAM slots are on the laptop, and whether its DDR3L, DDR3 or DDR4.

What are the current specs of the laptop?

When in doubt, re-format.

1 minute ago, Splodge1231 said:

How do i know?

425T-OX1.gif on the sitck of ram already in the pc it will say the information about the sitck like this image above you want to make sure the MHz and the DDR numer are the samew other than that you should be fine 

I lurk a lot