Gpu - Connectors - Monitor

aSPIRIn4
Go to solution Solved by Glenwing,
3 minutes ago, aSPIRIn4 said:

I have a GeForce® GTX 1060 Mini ITX OC 3G    and an old monitor that has only dvi and vga connector

I want to use it as a second monitor but after watching some videos on youtube about dvi-i , dvi-d , vga , my brain hurts.

I already have vga-vga cables but no dvi-d cables.

and i want to get away with the cheapest way ... adaptor dvi-d - vga     or dvi-d cable.

Is it going to work gpu -> dvi d -> vga -> monitor ? 

or i have to buy dvi-d > dvi-d cables

Reveal hidden contents

You should use a DVI to DVI cable. A standard Dual-Link DVI-D cable will work fine.

Normal DVI ports (DVI-D) do not support adapters to or from VGA. Only special DVI+VGA combo ports called DVI-I can support these adapters. The GTX 1060 does not have this, so those will not work.

I have a GeForce® GTX 1060 Mini ITX OC 3G    and an old monitor that has only dvi and vga connector

I want to use it as a second monitor but after watching some videos on youtube about dvi-i , dvi-d , vga , my brain hurts.

and i want to get away with the cheapest way ... adaptor dvi-d - vga     or dvi-d cable.

Spoiler

15908966_1894459877457787_309233607_o.jpg

3 minutes ago, aSPIRIn4 said:

Reveal hidden contents

You should use a DVI to DVI cable. A standard Dual-Link DVI-D cable will work fine.

Normal DVI ports (DVI-D) do not support adapters to or from VGA. Only special DVI+VGA combo ports called DVI-I can support these adapters. The GTX 1060 does not have this, so those will not work.

21 minutes ago, Glenwing said:

thank you very much :)

24 minutes ago, aSPIRIn4 said:

Reveal hidden contents

15908966_1894459877457787_309233607_o.jpg

You are mixing things up... let me clarify:

DVIQA.jpg

VGA is an analog signal.

DVI can carry both Digital and Analog 

DVI-D single link and dual link CANT be converted to VGA with an adapter (they lack the "analog part" in the pinout which is mostly the thing that looks like this :|: but horizontal in the left.

DVI-I single and dual link CAN be converted with an adapter.

DVI-A is already analog, fairly uncommon to find, so don't waste time with this.

In the chart you have bandwidth and resolution information. Don't mess them up or you wont get your desired result. 

For future references:

A digital signal 1080p @ 144Hz is about 9Gbps bandwidth you CANT convert this to VGA. Deal with it. 

A digital signal 1080p @ 60Hz is about 4.5Gbps you CAN convert this to VGA.

Cheers!