Updating BIOS (MSI Gaming Pro Carbon)

So I've been working on getting parts together to build a PC, ended up going with the MSI z170 gaming pro carbon motherboard, had thought of putting the 6700k in it originally, but with the 7700k due soon figured I would go with that. MSI has the BIOS updates for this CPU to work with the MB too. But since I'm new to all of this for the most part considering it's been so long since I last built a PC. I was wondering if there were any tips to updating the BIOS for the motherboard? Do I just download the update onto a USB flash drive, go into the BIOS and everything is self explanitory, or is there more to it I should know about?

Also, if I build the PC start to finish then go into this step, there's no risk of harming the CPU prior to the BIOS for the MB being updated is there? Or will it just not recognize it until the BIOS are updated?

You'll probably get a boot error until you update it, the question of how to update however is best solved by looking in the manual.

1 minute ago, Sack said:

You'll probably get a boot error until you update it, the question of how to update however is best solved by looking in the manual.

It explains it here, though it doesn't answer my question of any possible harm to the CPU if it's already in the socket when trying to update the BIOS. This will be a completely fresh build when I have the 7700k with nothing on it (including windows) etc when I first boot it up. If the BIOS aren't updated until after the CPU is in the MB, will it just sit doing nothing. Or could there be possible harm to the CPU if I don't update them first?

15871109_1348485575196570_35768339_n.png

As it seems your board supports update via USB you can download the BIOS update onto a USB drive under 8 GB and formatted to fat32 (usually these rules apply, refer to the manual for specific instructions) and flash it before you install the CPU.

5 minutes ago, Sack said:

As it seems your board supports update via USB you can download the BIOS update onto a USB drive under 8 GB and formatted to fat32 (usually these rules apply, refer to the manual for specific instructions) and flash it before you install the CPU.

Okay so basically, don't install the CPU until the BIOS are updated? I can update them without a CPU in the system?

I've never tried but in theory you should be able to get into the UEFI/BIOS without a CPU yes, usually you need to put the usb in a spcially designated slot on the MB too so be mindfull of that.