PC Problems Help

George8987

Hello there, so I have this PC that I built myself and the parts consists of:                                  

FX-8350                                                                                                                            

16 GB Hyper X DDR3

Gigabyte G1 Gaming RX 480 8 GB 

800 Watt Power supply

250 SD                                                            

970 Pro gaming aura (Motherboard)                                                    

So the problem is that whenever I start playing battlefield 1 or The Witcher 3

there is a lot of noticeable framedrops and I had an R9 290X on the same system

and there was the same problems, and I been doing some research and the FX-8350

Should be able to run those games with the RX 480 8 GB just fine, I would really appreciate your help

1 minute ago, ImperialSteele said:

Can you clear formatting?

yeah i just notice that, sorry

Im thinking its your CPU. I had the same exact 8350 as you. I have been booted from matches from fps lagging issues. When I went with an intel chip. those issues stopped occurring

Just now, rrubberr said:

At 1080p and above, BF1 is very CPU bound from my experience, so perhaps the FX really isn't enough. Just speculation.

its not I can tell. I was playing BF 4 and I would get booted by punkbuster so many times i deleted the game :)

1 minute ago, rrubberr said:

At 1080p and above, BF1 is very CPU bound from my experience, so perhaps the FX really isn't enough. Just speculation.

thing is that i run the game at 1080p or 720p and change the setting to high or low just to try if there is any improvement, but nothing has worked so far

The 8350 isnt suited for BF 4 nor 1. When I changed over to intel. the framerates were stable

2 minutes ago, George8987 said:

thing is that i run the game at 1080p or 720p and change the setting to high or low just to try if there is any improvement, but nothing has worked so far

by dropping the resolution you are just making the game even more CPU bound, that won't really help. Have a look at CPU utilisation with the game open

Ryzen Ram Guide

My Project Logs   Iced Blood    Temporal Snow    Temporal Snow Ryzen Refresh

CPU - Ryzen 1700 @ 4Ghz  Motherboard - Gigabyte AX370 Aorus Gaming 5   Ram - 16Gb GSkill Trident Z RGB 3200  GPU - Palit 1080GTX Gamerock Premium  Storage - Samsung XP941 256GB, Crucial MX300 525GB, Seagate Barracuda 1TB   PSU - Fractal Design Newton R3 1000W  Case - INWIN 303 White Display - Asus PG278Q Gsync 144hz 1440P

5 minutes ago, rrubberr said:

I would open up Task Manager and MSI Afterburner or similar and monitor CPU and GPU usage next time you play.

3 minutes ago, stealth80 said:

by dropping the resolution you are just making the game even more CPU bound, that won't really help. Have a look at CPU utilisation with the game open

4 minutes ago, UrdnotGrunt said:

The 8350 isnt suited for BF 4 nor 1. When I changed over to intel. the framerates were stable

here I took some screenshots with the game open, but as it seems there is not really a big impact on the cpu

Screenshot (14).png

Screenshot (15).png

2 minutes ago, George8987 said:

here I took some screenshots with the game open, but as it seems there is not really a big impact on the cpu

Screenshot (14).png

Screenshot (15).png

CPU will drop if you tab out - I have no idea why. Use MSI or another program with a graph, or use AIda 64 with OSD so you can see it in game, this is where I love my LCD

8g52LKI.jpg

Sits in the window of my case :P

Ryzen Ram Guide

My Project Logs   Iced Blood    Temporal Snow    Temporal Snow Ryzen Refresh

CPU - Ryzen 1700 @ 4Ghz  Motherboard - Gigabyte AX370 Aorus Gaming 5   Ram - 16Gb GSkill Trident Z RGB 3200  GPU - Palit 1080GTX Gamerock Premium  Storage - Samsung XP941 256GB, Crucial MX300 525GB, Seagate Barracuda 1TB   PSU - Fractal Design Newton R3 1000W  Case - INWIN 303 White Display - Asus PG278Q Gsync 144hz 1440P

1 minute ago, stealth80 said:

CPU will drop if you tab out - I have no idea why. Use MSI or another program with a graph, or use AIda 64 with OSD so you can see it in game, this is where I love my LCD

8g52LKI.jpg

Sits in the window of my case :P

oh thats cool, so i'll go download the program i'll be back. Thanks

22 minutes ago, George8987 said:

oh thats cool, so i'll go download the program i'll be back. Thanks

Screenshot (21).png

If that's RAM usage, then 8gb isn't enough. Your GPU is also getting slammed.

yeah well i have 16 GB, and my GPU is the RX 480 8GB

4 minutes ago, rrubberr said:

Ah, it looks like the only thing being really taxed is the video card. Are you using the latest drivers?

yeah everything, I don't know if I should maybe reinstall windows

Just now, rrubberr said:

I wouldn't. That seldom fixes the problems. Do you have BF1 set to use dx 12?

No, because when I set it to use DX12 there is massive frame drops

Also, use medium - high settings and turn off anti-aliasing.

but wouldn't that defeat the purpose of getting a RX 480 8GB?

The RX 480 isn't a particularly powerful card (sorry), so medium and high sounds pretty reasonable, but definitely no AA. DX12 should provide a massive performance boost on AMD hardware, so maybe you do need to reinstall windows. Are you using the anniversary update?

i'm using the latest Windows 10 update, oh that sucks after seeing all of those reviews of this card and everything and praise it was getting i thought it was going to be a big performance boost from the R9 290X.

So you think its worth returning the card and just use my old R9 290X?

2 minutes ago, rrubberr said:

It really isn't much faster than the 290x, I don't think. Definitely cooler and less power hungry. Honestly, I'm jealous of the 290x (for compute reasons).

but which one is better?

The 290x is debatably 1-5% faster, definitely not worth $200 to get a 480 in my opinion.

well the thing is that i have both 290X (4GB) and the RX 480 (8GB), so therefore would it be better if i took back the 480 and get a refund?

I would take back the 480, especially with Vega supposedly right around the corner.

Vega?

well thank you,i appreciate your help have a goodnight