Everything i have to know about CPU-s

Hey !

I feel like this is a follow-up to a previous post found here. After the post i upgraded my PSU and GPU and all is well. Now im wondering if i should invest in a newer CPU.

My current specs:

CPU - Intel Pentium G2020 Dual Core

GPU - Gigabyte GTX 950

Motherboard - MSI - H61M-P20 (G3) (MS-7788)

Ram - 2x 4GB Kingston HyperX Fury 1600MHz

Storage - 1TB Toshiba SATA3 7200 32MB

Case - MD Cod 6237-A11/2 450W Black ( The old PSU came with the case. I doubt its any help beacuse its a very random case. )

Additional cooling - Some random fans

Once again i am clueless about what to look in a CPU besides cores and GHz. What are the price ranges, is the stock cooler fine if i wont overclock, are there different sizes, do i actually need a new CPU for lightweight gaming ( None of that 4K stuff, just that the game is playable ) etc...

I live in Estonia and the main store is https://arvutitark.ee/. It's in Estonian but it should be searchable.

Impossible question for anyone. You really have to do the research. YouTube is a great way to teach your self. If you have specific question I could help more. You have to learn read study and ask, a few times. nobody can tell you everything in a post. formulate questions and we can help more

If you want to upgrade very soon, look for Haswell or Skylake processors. For gaming, look at i5 processors (most common are i5-4690k, i5-6600, i5-6600k). You also need to find a compatible motherboard then.

For performance, check benchmarks as posted above. In the end, it comes down to how much you are willing to spend.

Also, check Hinnavaatlus forum, a lot of good (used) computer hardware deals there.

HAL9000: AMD Ryzen 9 3900x | Noctua NH-D15 chromax.black | 32 GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 MHz | Asus X570 Prime Pro | ASUS TUF 3080 Ti | 1 TB Samsung 970 Evo Plus + 1 TB Crucial MX500 + 6 TB WD RED | Corsair HX1000 | be quiet Pure Base 500DX | LG 34UM95 34" 3440x1440

Hydrogen server: Intel i3-10100 | Cryorig M9i | 64 GB Crucial Ballistix 3200MHz DDR4 | Gigabyte B560M-DS3H | 33 TB of storage | Fractal Design Define R5 | unRAID 6.9.2

Carbon server: Fujitsu PRIMERGY RX100 S7p | Xeon E3-1230 v2 | 16 GB DDR3 ECC | 60 GB Corsair SSD & 250 GB Samsung 850 Pro | Intel i340-T4 | ESXi 6.5.1

Big Mac cluster: 2x Raspberry Pi 2 Model B | 1x Raspberry Pi 3 Model B | 2x Raspberry Pi 3 Model B+

@Kickflapper

1 hour ago, Seablue said:

What are the price ranges, is the stock cooler fine if i wont overclock, are there different sizes, do i actually need a new CPU for lightweight gaming ( None of that 4K stuff, just that the game is playable ) etc...

@jj9987

I'd rather avoid the risk of used parts. Also i feel like 250 euros is out of my price range, i was thinking something in the 150 euro range perhaps. As stated before i don't want 4K, ultra settings, 60fps. Im honestly fine with low graphics and 60fps-ish.