Usb unallocated space

Joseph Hartness
Go to solution Solved by Ricki,

I've had a similar problem a fair few times, especially when using USB sticks to make Linux USB sticks and then trying to convert them back to normal use. I personally find the disk management tool and absolute pain in the arse and doesn't allow you to do what you need to most of the time... anyway I digress.

I am assuming you are using Windows 10 and are quite happy to loose all the data on the USB drive, and this is the method I use:

1. Hit Windows Key + R (i.e. run open up the run prompt)
  2. Enter 'diskpart' hit enter and allow to load
  3. When you get the 'DISKPART>' prompt enter 'list disk'
  4. Locate the relevant disk and take note of the number - make sure it is the drive you want as you can destroy your HDD!
  5. Enter 'select disk #' where # is the number of the disk you want. In my example below I am using Disk 2 a 64GB USB stick
  6. You should get a prompt like 'Disk 2 is now the selected disk.'
  7. Enter 'clean'
  8. You should get a prompt like 'DiskPart succeeded in cleaning the disk.'
  9. Enter 'create partition primary'
  10. You should get a prompt like 'DiskPart succeeded in creating the specified parition'
  11. Close the DiskPart window
  12. Open your computer, locate the USB stick and then format as per usual.

DiskPart.jpg

Just be very careful that you choose the correct disk number otherwise you are in for a world of trouble. If there is data on the USB stick, just back it up before wiping (or cleaning) the drive.

Hope this resolves you issues.

I am being frustrated at this usb drive please help if you can find a solution to my problem, thank you very much.

Capture1.PNGCapture2.PNG

CPU: i7-6700K | Motherboard: MSI Z170A Krait Gaming 3X | RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 8GB DDR4-2666 Memory

Solid State Drives: Two PNY 120GB 2.5" Solid State Drives | GPU: EVGA GeForce GTX 1070 SC GAMING ACX 3.0 Black Edition

PSU: Thermaltake Smart 650W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply | Case: Thermaltake Core V71 ATX Full Tower Case.

PCPartPicker

Well, you've found your way into 'Create and Format Hard Disk Partitions', go ahead and delete the 32GB volume and create a nice full size volume..?

Right-click, delete volume, then right-click, create volume. I'd suggest NTFS if you want to make good use of all that space.

Sig under construction.

4 minutes ago, Tedster said:

Well, you've found your way into 'Create and Format Hard Disk Partitions', go ahead and delete the 32GB volume and create a nice full size volume..?

Right-click, delete volume, then right-click, create volume. I'd suggest NTFS if you want to make good use of all that space.

Can you show a visual representation as an example. Thanks.

CPU: i7-6700K | Motherboard: MSI Z170A Krait Gaming 3X | RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 8GB DDR4-2666 Memory

Solid State Drives: Two PNY 120GB 2.5" Solid State Drives | GPU: EVGA GeForce GTX 1070 SC GAMING ACX 3.0 Black Edition

PSU: Thermaltake Smart 650W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply | Case: Thermaltake Core V71 ATX Full Tower Case.

PCPartPicker

5 minutes ago, Joseph Hartness said:

Can you show a visual representation as an example. Thanks.

I'm not sure I can, seems like the only flash drive I have handy doesn't play nicely with Windows's tools...

Sig under construction.

1 minute ago, Tedster said:

I'm not sure I can, seems like the only flash drive I have handy doesn't play nicely with Windows's tools...

I don't mean do it i just mean could you show were i can go to fix everything.

PCPartPicker

Just now, Joseph Hartness said:

I don't mean do it i just mean could you show were i can go to fix everything.

You were in the correct program, as I told you. The program in the second figure you provided is what you're after.

Sig under construction.

2 minutes ago, Tedster said:

You were in the correct program, as I told you. The program in the second figure you provided is what you're after.

It is not showing delete volume because it is grayed out

PCPartPicker

2 minutes ago, Joseph Hartness said:

It is not showing delete volume because it is grayed out

Odd! I'd recommend you try a better disk management tool, such as Minitool's partition wizard

Sig under construction.

I think the easiest way would be to delete the D drive partition (back you file up on your computer if you have some on there), then create a new volume using all of the space on the drive. If you need me to take screenshots doing it, let me know.

I've had a similar problem a fair few times, especially when using USB sticks to make Linux USB sticks and then trying to convert them back to normal use. I personally find the disk management tool and absolute pain in the arse and doesn't allow you to do what you need to most of the time... anyway I digress.

I am assuming you are using Windows 10 and are quite happy to loose all the data on the USB drive, and this is the method I use:

1. Hit Windows Key + R (i.e. run open up the run prompt)
  2. Enter 'diskpart' hit enter and allow to load
  3. When you get the 'DISKPART>' prompt enter 'list disk'
  4. Locate the relevant disk and take note of the number - make sure it is the drive you want as you can destroy your HDD!
  5. Enter 'select disk #' where # is the number of the disk you want. In my example below I am using Disk 2 a 64GB USB stick
  6. You should get a prompt like 'Disk 2 is now the selected disk.'
  7. Enter 'clean'
  8. You should get a prompt like 'DiskPart succeeded in cleaning the disk.'
  9. Enter 'create partition primary'
  10. You should get a prompt like 'DiskPart succeeded in creating the specified parition'
  11. Close the DiskPart window
  12. Open your computer, locate the USB stick and then format as per usual.

DiskPart.jpg

Just be very careful that you choose the correct disk number otherwise you are in for a world of trouble. If there is data on the USB stick, just back it up before wiping (or cleaning) the drive.

Hope this resolves you issues.