fx 6300 small oc

So I am overclocking my fx-6300 and aiming for 4.2Ghz and I have the following stable overclocks tested with prime95:

4.1Ghz at 1.3425v

4.2Ghz at 1.3825v

so as you can see it takes quite a jump in voltage to get that 4.2 stable. Temps are fine on both although 4.1 is ~3C lower at a lower rpm. From where I'm standing it seems logical to keep it at 4.1 but I was wondering if there was any argument for the 4.2 OC or some way to get 4.2 stable at a lower voltage (hopefully around 1.3625) since it seems to be a more diminishing return now

Thanks in advance

19 minutes ago, Mr_Random_Guy said:

4.1Ghz at 1.3425v

4.2Ghz at 1.3825v

My geek bench score (literally 30 seconds ago) went up my 1.5% from 4.2-4.3ghz. that's was on a fx-8300

Realistically between 4.1 and 4.2 there isn't going to be a noticeable improvement in performance. What motherboard are you using? there's more a chance atm that your problem is the vcore isn't stable under load more so than the chip really needs it.

My fx-6100 was happy at 4.1 for just over 6 years at 1.36v. Now the i5 in my laptop kicks the snot out of even the 8300 in my desktop, but the fx chips are fun to overclock.

Silent build - You know your pc is too loud when the deaf complain. Windows 98 gaming build, smells like beige

Some time ago I got a stable 4.5GHz on my 6300 with the drawback of reaching almons 1.45v (temps where kinda fine with the 212 evo), but for some unknown reason the last time I attempted a 4.4GHz, Windows 10 went FUBAR after a BSOD and I had to reinstall. Now I'm running at 4.2GHz @ 1.416 V (according to CPU-Z) with temps never reaching 60°C while gaming or doing BOINC stuff.

With this said, you could try OCing the Bus Speed a notch or two (should be based at 200 MHz) if you can or just stick with the 4.2GHz. Maybe you could even reach the 4.5 I had with even a lower voltage than mine.

Computer Case: NZXT S340 || CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 1600 || Cooler: CM Hyper212 Evo || MoBo: MSI B350 Mortar || RAM Vengeance LPX 2x8GB 3200MHz || PSU: Corsair CX600 || SSD: HyperX Fury 120GB & 240GB || HDD: WD Blue 1TB + 1TB 2.5'' backup drive || GPU: Sapphire Nitro+ RX 580 4GB

Laptop 1 HP x360 13-u113nl

Laptop Lenovo z50-75 with AMD FX-7500 || OS: Windows 10 / Ubuntu 17.04

DSLR Nikon D5300 w/ 18-105mm lens

wouldn't increasing the bus speed further oc the cpu and cause instability and overclock everything else which could potentially fail?

Yes it will oc further, but sometimes it can give you better overall clock speed at a lower voltage than the brute force method of multiplier and vcore.

Silent build - You know your pc is too loud when the deaf complain. Windows 98 gaming build, smells like beige

alright ill give it a try - should I lower the voltage to 1.3625 at the same time?

I'd run a stress test first and record the vcore reading with aida or speedfan or something. See what the voltage is doing under load, look for dips/spikes and if the vcore is in general jumping around a lot and not sitting stable.

dips in vcore under load will give you hardware failures or rounding errors in prime, bad drops will either hard lock or bsod the system.

according to cpu-z:

at idle the core voltage is steady at 1.368v

under prime95 blend the core voltage fluctuates between 1.332 and 1.344 - spends more time at 1.332

@Mr_Random_Guy tag people when you reply so they can see it and get a notification.

I'd try 4.3 as is now but with llc on medium or high (if your board has auto or on, then just on), if your temps are good everything else looks good to push a little atm, might even get 4.4 with a little more voltage even up to 1.4-1.42 is pretty safe on the bulldozer.

LLC is line load calibration, it helps to combat vdroop under load and stablise voltage. I'd have cool n quiet off, c states off, and turbo disabled for a better oc.

Start with regular and try upping the multiplier a little.

8 minutes ago, Mr_Random_Guy said:

@it_dont_work With llc on regular and at 4.3Ghz its unstable

If you're comfortable bumping up the vcore go for it, if that doesn't work you may of found the limits of your particular chip. 

@it_dont_work even with llc on my vcore drops to 1.35v. SO could I bump up the voltage higher but enable cool n quiet so that at idle the voltage isn't high

the relationship for clock speed and voltage is not linear, thus why it takes such a large bump to get stability. You chip must just be silicon limited. 

I saw a ~5% increase in performance doing ram/bus OC'ing. Since you know ~4.3 is stable, exchange the multiplier OC for bus speed to get around ~4.3 and you'll see better performance. 

Give it a shot, cool n quiet can cause instability when the clock jumps up and down. I don't really like it on since it was giving me fps drops when the clock jumped around.

Try upping the llc level first. Is there good case flow past the vrm heatsink on your motherboard?

1 minute ago, Mr_Random_Guy said:

@it_dont_work Llc on extreme was causing 1.45v at idle WAY too high for my liking

Sometime we go through all this stuffing about to find 4.2 seems like your chips sweet spot.