GTX 1060 Bottlenecks with my CPU?

Sayoss
Go to solution Solved by Sayoss,
2 minutes ago, Morgan MLGman said:

GTX 1050Ti is the GPU of choice if you stick to the Pentium, if you upgrade to an i5-4460 then you can get a 1060 6GB.

Ye the second choice sounds good but ill stick with the techs this time :P next time ill do things myself.

Hello.

I have this old computer for a while now and im thinking in buying a gtx 1060 but im afraid it will bottleneck.

Can somoene help me please? And explain what i should buy first.

(GET READY TO SEE MY GPU BTW ITS BEAUTIFUL)

System Specs:

Processor: Intel Pentium G3260 3.30GHz

RAM: 8 GB

Graphics Card: Intel HD Graphics

3 minutes ago, Sayoss said:

Hello.

I have this old computer for a while now and im thinking in buying a gtx 1060 but im afraid it will bottleneck.

Can somoene help me please? And explain what i should buy first.

(GET READY TO SEE MY GPU BTW ITS BEAUTIFUL)

System Specs:

Processor: Intel Pentium G3260 3.30GHz

RAM: 8 GB

Graphics Card: Intel HD Graphics

Not knowledgeable about Pentium CPUs, but looking at some benchmarks, Oh lord yes, I'd split the money between a CPU and GPU or save up longer to get a new CPU and GPU.

PC Specs

i7 6700

Asus H110-PLUS

ASUS STRIX 1070 8GB OC

EVGA G2 550W PSU

3TB HD & 255GB SSD

CiT Galaxy Evolution

Upgrades

EVGA G2 550W PSU

Asus Strix GTX 1070

NZXT S340 ELITE BLACK

Yeah it will. It'll bottleneck even an R9 380 which is a tiny bit under 60% slower than a GTX 1060 6GB so yeah...

Most I'd get with that Pentium (provided it's overclocked) would be the GTX 1050Ti.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D GPU: AMD Radeon RX 6900 XT 16GB GDDR6 Motherboard: MSI PRESTIGE X570 CREATION
AIO: Corsair H150i Pro RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 32GB 3600MHz DDR4 Case: Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic PSU: Corsair RM850x White

15 minutes ago, Protex said:

Not knowledgeable about Pentium CPUs, but looking at some benchmarks, Oh lord yes, I'd split the money between a CPU and GPU or save up longer to get a new CPU and GPU.

Indeed but i wanted something powerfull so i can buy only either a CPU or GPU which i might go for GPU but i dont know how much it bottlenecks

4 minutes ago, Morgan MLGman said:

Yeah it will. It'll bottleneck even an R9 380 which is a tiny bit under 60% slower than a GTX 1060 6GB so yeah...

Most I'd get with that Pentium (provided it's overclocked) would be the GTX 1050Ti.

I spoke to some tech people from here where i live and one of them said a SSD Card (Ignored him) and another said either a good CPU or GPU so I don't know thats why im posting here.

1 minute ago, Sayoss said:

I spoke to some tech people from here where i live and one of them said a SSD Card (Ignored him) and another said either a good CPU or GPU so I don't know thats why im posting here.

If you want to play games you need a better GPU - that's a given.

It depends on how much money for upgrades do you have

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D GPU: AMD Radeon RX 6900 XT 16GB GDDR6 Motherboard: MSI PRESTIGE X570 CREATION
AIO: Corsair H150i Pro RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 32GB 3600MHz DDR4 Case: Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic PSU: Corsair RM850x White

1 minute ago, Morgan MLGman said:

If you want to play games you need a better GPU - that's a given.

It depends on how much money for upgrades do you have

I know but im afraid that it bottlenecks so much it doesnt make almost any difference between my Intel HD Graphics ç.ç

4 minutes ago, Sayoss said:

I know but im afraid that it bottlenecks so much it doesnt make almost any difference between my Intel HD Graphics ç.ç

Nah, to get the most out of this CPU you'd have to buy a GPU around the GTX 960 / GTX 1050Ti mark (in terms of performance). If this was my PC I'd get the 1050Ti + an SSD, then start gathering money for more RAM (another 8GB) and a better CPU such as an i7-4790 since you already own an LGA1150 board.

Just now, Morgan MLGman said:

Nah, to get the most out of this CPU you'd have to buy a GPU around the GTX 960 / GTX 1050Ti mark. If this was my PC I'd get the 1050Ti + an SSD, then start gathering money for more RAM (another 8GB) and a better CPU such as an i7-4790 since you already own an LGA1150 board.

I own a LGA1150 Board? how do i check? BTW how much do u think that would cost?

I own a LGA1150 Board? how do i check? BTW how much do u think that would cost?

Pentium G3258 is an LGA1150 socket CPU. Download CPU-Z and run it, it'll let you check your PC hardware including stuff like this.

As for the cost, it really depends on the country you live in...

Pentium G3258 is an LGA1150 socket CPU. Download CPU-Z and run it, it'll let you check your PC hardware including stuff like this.

As for the cost, it really depends on the country you live in...

Im from Portugal :P

Im from Portugal :P

That doesn't make it better, your location isn't good for buying PC hardware, neither is mine. You need to check your local prices in your local currency.

If you can't afford to upgrade your CPU then get a GTX 1050Ti and an SSD to use as your boot drive. If you have more money then I'd look into used i7-4790 prices or at least an i5-4460 and get a better GPU such as an RX 480 8GB, add the SSD and another 8GB's of RAM and you're golden.

Quick question: what's your PSU?

3 minutes ago, Morgan MLGman said:

That doesn't make it better, your location isn't good for buying PC hardware, neither is mine. You need to check your local prices in your local currency.

If you can't afford to upgrade your CPU then get a GTX 1050Ti and an SSD to use as your boot drive. If you have more money then I'd look into used i7-4790 prices or at least an i5-4460 and get a better GPU such as an RX 480 8GB, add the SSD and another 8GB's of RAM and you're golden.

Quick question: what's your PSU?

I just googled PSU and i can't open the case since im too lazy and my mom wouldn't allow me lol

Sounds silly but its kids life

5 minutes ago, Sayoss said:

I just googled PSU and i can't open the case since im too lazy and my mom wouldn't allow me lol

Sounds silly but its kids life

Tell her that you need to know the PSU model cause it might not be sufficient for a dedicated GPU.

Tell her that you need to know the PSU model cause it might not be sufficient for a dedicated GPU.

Naw i dont wanna bother her and i think the techs already know cuz she mentioned it.

And i already paid them 300 bucks to see what they can do with it. Theyr also studying the pc. They told my mom they were thinking in a 250$ GPU so i went and checked some gpus for 250$ and 1060 was one of them. I also heard the 1060 only needs 120 watts of when they were talking about it they made it sound low so yeh thats why i think its the 1060 but it might not be.

Naw i dont wanna bother her and i think the techs already know cuz she mentioned it.

And i already paid them 300 bucks to see what they can do with it. Theyr also studying the pc. They told my mom they were thinking in a 250$ GPU so i went and checked some gpus for 250$ and 1060 was one of them. I also heard the 1060 only needs 120 watts of when they were talking about it they made it sound low so yeh thats why i think its the 1060 but it might not be.

As I said, the 1060 is way too fast for your current CPU so they clearly don't know what they're talking about... How much money do you have to spend on PC upgrades?

As I said, the 1060 is way too fast for your current CPU so they clearly don't know what they're talking about... How much money do you have to spend on PC upgrades?

I think about 200-300. But they're already paid :/

Like you already noticed ... yeah that CPU is holding you back.

Ideal would be i5 6xxx CPU to pair with your GTX 1060.

Then again, it depends on game ... in some it will be huuuuge botleneck, and is others not so much. But still, in 95% of games, this CPU will be a problem xD

Intel i7 12700K | Gigabyte Z690 Gaming X DDR4 | Pure Loop 240mm | G.Skill 3200MHz 32GB CL14 | CM V850 G2 | RTX 3070 Phoenix | Lian Li O11 Air mini

Samsung EVO 960 M.2 250GB | Samsung EVO 860 PRO 512GB | 4x Be Quiet! Silent Wings 140mm fans

WD My Cloud 4TB

1 minute ago, Simon771 said:

Like you already noticed ... yeah that CPU is holding you back.

Ideal would be i5 6xxx CPU to pair with your GTX 1060.

Then again, it depends on game ... in some it will be huuuuge botleneck, and is others not so much. But still, in 95% of games, this CPU will be a problem xD

Alright so basically i buy the 1050 ti and a cpu with the rest of the money?

Sounds like better idea if you ask me :)

Or you can buy GTX 1060 now, save some money and then sell your CPU and buy new one. It's up to you.

Your PC will work just fine with that CPU and GTX 1060. You just won't be able to fully use performance of GTX 1060 untill you buy better CPU.

Intel i7 12700K | Gigabyte Z690 Gaming X DDR4 | Pure Loop 240mm | G.Skill 3200MHz 32GB CL14 | CM V850 G2 | RTX 3070 Phoenix | Lian Li O11 Air mini

Samsung EVO 960 M.2 250GB | Samsung EVO 860 PRO 512GB | 4x Be Quiet! Silent Wings 140mm fans

WD My Cloud 4TB

2 minutes ago, Sayoss said:

GTX 1050Ti is the GPU of choice if you stick to the Pentium, if you upgrade to an i5-4460 then you can get a 1060 6GB.

2 minutes ago, Simon771 said:

Sounds like better idea if you ask me :)

Or you can buy GTX 1060 now, save some money and then sell your CPU and buy new one. It's up to you.

Your PC will work just fine with that CPU and GTX 1060. You just won't be able to fully use performance of GTX 1060 untill you buy better CPU.

but that huuuuuuge bottleneck tho xD.

Its a tough choice i think ill leave it to the techs since i will get more money in 4 month.

2 minutes ago, Morgan MLGman said:

Ye the second choice sounds good but ill stick with the techs this time :P next time ill do things myself.