Overheating af

EJOE

Hello, I recently upgraded my pc to an asrock z97 killer, Gigabyte gtx 1060 (long version), Evga psu, and an i7 4790k. But I have a problem after 30 minutes of playing Insurgency my cpu is going from 30c to 86c at most. I'm using a stock fan and getting an aftermarket fan soon. But there's also some other things that could be related to this. At start up the cpu fan spins at 100% then slows down after a few seconds. which is interesting because this has never happened to me. Additionally, when the mobo splashboard comes up at startup it stays there's the whole time during startup and the windows loading circle glitches through the mobo splashboard and then goes to my login screen. Finally, the pc doesn't always start the first time I hit the power button.

15 hours ago, SwiftCraftmc said:

Is the heat sink on correctly and is there any thermal paste on the cpu?

I should probably check if it is seated properly. And yes I used the stock fan which has paste on it already.

Well...intel's stock heatsink is utter crap and considering that you have a 4790K, it doesn't even need to be overclocked for it to struggle to properly cool it :/ 

The other booting issue and whatever could be caused by a bad motherboard...

Looking at my signature are we now? Well too bad there's nothing here...

What? As I said, there seriously is nothing here :) 

18 minutes ago, Mr.Meerkat said:

Well...intel's stock heatsink is utter crap and considering that you have a 4790K, it doesn't even need to be overclocked for it to struggle to properly cool it :/ 

The other booting issue and whatever could be caused by a bad motherboard...

Okay,and about the Mobo that's the only thing it's doing that I notice what else could it be?

1 minute ago, EJOE said:

Okay,and about the Mobo that's the only thing it's doing that I notice what else could it be?

Maybe your *OS drive?

1 minute ago, Mr.Meerkat said:

Maybe your *OS drive?

So reinstall the OS?

15 minutes ago, EJOE said:

So reinstall the OS?

Nope, check the health status of your drive :) 

15 hours ago, Mr.Meerkat said:

okay. also when I was talking about the cpu fan spinning at 100%. I realized that right when I started the pc it didn't even start it waited a second or two to start then it did the thing where it goes to 100% and back.

41 minutes ago, Matias_Chambers said:

This is why you don't use a stock cooler on a high end CPU. 

This combined with poor case airflow and/or highish ambient temps is most likely the problem. If you wanna stop overheating, lower the clockspeed to 4.0 max. That should be more manageable

My rig:
CPU: i5 4690k 24/7 @4.4ghz (1.165v) Max 4.7ghz (1.325v) COOLER: NZXT Kraken X61 MOBO: Asus Z97-A   RAM: 16GB Crucial Ballistix Tactical   GPU: EVGA GTX 970 SSC   PSU: EVGA GS 650W   CASE: NZXT Phantom 530 HDD: WD Caviar Blue 1TB + WD Black 2TB

15 hours ago, Mr.Meerkat said:

okay. also when I was talking about the cpu fan spinning at 100%. I realized that right when I started the pc it didn't even start it waited a second or two to start then it did the thing where it goes to 100% and back.

15 hours ago, incarnate said:

This combined with poor case airflow and/or highish ambient temps is most likely the problem. If you wanna stop overheating, lower the clockspeed to 4.0 max. That should be more manageable

it was never oced... do you want me to underclock and how? Also any idea about the cpu going to 100% at startup then back

3 hours ago, EJOE said:

it was never oced... do you want me to underclock and how? Also any idea about the cpu going to 100% at startup then back

If you don't underclock is going to keep over heating. Go into your bios and turn turbo off, if this doesn't solve the overheating, then set the multiplier lower. You can reset after you get a better cooler.

The cpu hitting 100% on start up is completely normal, it is losing the operating system after all.

My rig:
CPU: i5 4690k 24/7 @4.4ghz (1.165v) Max 4.7ghz (1.325v) COOLER: NZXT Kraken X61 MOBO: Asus Z97-A   RAM: 16GB Crucial Ballistix Tactical   GPU: EVGA GTX 970 SSC   PSU: EVGA GS 650W   CASE: NZXT Phantom 530 HDD: WD Caviar Blue 1TB + WD Black 2TB