Recommended Camera

CruxYo

My friends and I started a vlogging channel. We just started but we are trying to figure out what type of equipment we should get. Any of you guys know what we should get, we need to know what camera and other equipment we should work for. 

If you have a phone that can do smooth 1080P then that should be fine. 

زندگی از چراغ

Intel Core i7 7800X 6C/12T (4.5GHz), Corsair H150i Pro RGB (360mm), Asus Prime X299-A, Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (4X4GB & 2X8GB 3000MHz DDR4), MSI GeForce GTX 1070 Gaming X 8G (2.113GHz core & 9.104GHz memory), 1 Samsung 970 Evo Plus 1TB NVMe M.2, 1 Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD, 1 Samsung 850 Evo 500GB SSD, 1 WD Red 1TB mechanical drive, Corsair RM750X 80+ Gold fully modular PSU, Corsair Obsidian 750D full tower case, Corsair Glaive RGB mouse, Corsair K70 RGB MK.2 (Cherry MX Red) keyboard, Asus VN247HA (1920x1080 60Hz 16:9), Audio Technica ATH-M20x headphones & Windows 10 Home 64 bit. 

The time Linus replied to me on one of my threads: 

14 minutes ago, CruxYo said:

My friends and I started a vlogging channel. We just started but we are trying to figure out what type of equipment we should get. Any of you guys know what we should get, we need to know what camera and other equipment we should work for. 

Phone cameras are generally fine for starting off, as long as its a modern phone that can record 1080p. I'd recommend a standalone microphone that plugs into your phone though, audio makes a huge difference, if its a stationary vlog lighting is something big to look into as well! Good luck!

This is the mic I use, very cheap and makes a big difference!

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B011EXBCMQ/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s03?ie=UTF8&psc=1

a simply flex tripod will make it a little easier to hold the phone or get it stable for recording, this is the one I use, again, cheap but gets it done.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00T6LVH74/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Ryzen 9 3950x - 64 GB DDR4 - NVME 980 pro SSD - EVGA RTX 3080 FTW Ultra - FAD CASE

Full custom loop / links below out of date

LTT Build Log | PCPP Build Log

_____________________________________________________________________________________________

Sorry if I stop responding, I've probably gotten busy as I mostly am only on here while working.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________

It depends in what level you want to start. Yes, the easiest way is to use a phone with 1080p but you are restricted to mostly static shots and good lighting conditions. Next step would be to use handheld cameras like " Panasonic HC-X900". Close by is also DSLR-s, that allow more artistic and sophisticated approach.

Appart from phones a separate microphone is recommended. Also some lighting kits won`t hurt.

Also i would recommend keeping away from 4K in terms of final production. Producing solid 1080p is worth a lot more than half shit 4K. This does not mean that the equipment should not support 4K. I agree that it is the future and 4K original footage gives many benefits. 

How serius are you? You could of course just use a phone or you could go fully overkill and get the most expensive things you can buy. (Jon Olsson did this, a RED Epic-W with the 8K helium sensor and 3 Leica PL mount lenses, a Sony A7s ii and a few Canon EF and Sony FE lenses.) 

However for starters if you dont want to spend much I would go with a decent phone camera to begin but get an external mic as that would helo the audio quality a lot. For a more sofisticated setup a lightweight mirrorless camera with a small wide angle zoom and a decent mic to go with that.

FX-8350 GTX760 16GB RAM 250GB SSD + 1TB HDD

"How many roads must a man walk down?" "42"

17 hours ago, xQubeZx said:

For a more sofisticated setup a lightweight mirrorless camera with a small wide angle zoom and a decent mic to go with that.

Are there any particular decent budget cameras you might recommend for a set up like this? Thanks in advance!

Ryzen 9 3950x - 64 GB DDR4 - NVME 980 pro SSD - EVGA RTX 3080 FTW Ultra - FAD CASE

Sorry if I stop responding, I've probably gotten busy as I mostly am only on here while working.

16 minutes ago, jeffmeyer5295 said:

Are there any particular decent budget cameras you might recommend for a set up like this? Thanks in advance!

How about a nice camcorder?

Maybe this model, Zoom makes some nice audio recording devices and their mics are pretty good.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1021190-REG/zoom_zq4_q4_handy_video_recorder.html

That is not dead which can eternal lie.  And with strange aeons even death may die. - The Call of Cthulhu

A university is not a "safe space". If you need a safe space, leave, go home, hug your teddy & suck your thumb until ready for university.  - Richard Dawkins

2 minutes ago, AkiraDaarkst said:

How about a nice camcorder?

Maybe this model, Zoom makes some nice audio recording devices and their mics are pretty good.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1021190-REG/zoom_zq4_q4_handy_video_recorder.html

Would something like this be a noticeable difference coming from an Iphone 6s camera? Sorry I don't know much about cameras. 

1 minute ago, jeffmeyer5295 said:

Would something like this be a noticeable difference coming from an Iphone 6s camera? Sorry I don't know much about cameras. 

The audio will probably be much better in the Zoom camera.

That is not dead which can eternal lie.  And with strange aeons even death may die. - The Call of Cthulhu

A university is not a "safe space". If you need a safe space, leave, go home, hug your teddy & suck your thumb until ready for university.  - Richard Dawkins

1 minute ago, AkiraDaarkst said:

The audio will probably be much better in the Zoom camera.

In my situation for recording I have an external mic and an Iphone 6s on a tripod so my audio(in my opinion) is pretty decent, I just don't like the grainy video that phones record, but I don't know what causes that and how to tell if a camera I am looking at will do that. 

Just now, jeffmeyer5295 said:

In my situation for recording I have an external mic and an Iphone 6s on a tripod so my audio(in my opinion) is pretty decent, I just don't like the grainy video that phones record, but I don't know what causes that and how to tell if a camera I am looking at will do that. 

Low lighting is most likely the culprit.  You want less grain/noise, add more light if you use cameras like an iPhone or that Zoom I mentioned.

Just now, AkiraDaarkst said:

Low lighting is most likely the culprit.  You want less grain/noise, add more light if you use cameras like an iPhone or that Zoom I mentioned.

Ah good to know! I will look into that! Thanks!

3 minutes ago, jeffmeyer5295 said:

Ah good to know! I will look into that! Thanks!

Even a very expensive high end camera will produce grain/noise in the image if there isn't enough light for a proper exposure, especially if you have to start boosting the ISO to compensate.

1 hour ago, jeffmeyer5295 said:

Panasonic G7 and a wide anlge lens is quite affordable and a setup a lot of people would reccomend. 

4 minutes ago, xQubeZx said:

Panasonic G7 and a wide anlge lens is quite affordable and a setup a lot of people would reccomend. 

lol dang, looks like a nice camera and I don't expect dirt cheap. but damn, $800 xD

5 hours ago, jeffmeyer5295 said:

lol dang, looks like a nice camera and I don't expect dirt cheap. but damn, $800 xD

There are cheaper options, it all depends on what you really want.

21 hours ago, jeffmeyer5295 said:

There is as Akira said cheaper options. It really depends. But a G7 will be a very good base but cheaper variants could be something like a high quality point and shoot as a Canon G7x or maybe a lower end mirrorless. Its easier to reccomend stuff if there is a budget and some requirments on what the gear has to accomplsih.