Confused CPU Performance

Hi!

There two laptops for sale at the same price

An HP with i5-7200U 12 GB RAM 2.5GHz

An Asus with i7-6500U 8GB RAM 2.5GHz

Looking to get one for editing videos, etc.

Any advice would be helpful.

Thanks

Asus > HP

i7 4790K || R9 290X + R9 290 || 16GB G.Skill TridentX 1866 || Gigabyte Z97MX Gaming 5 || Crucial MX100 256GB || WD Caviar Blue 1TB

What about the i5 and i7? I just watched the video by Linus explaining the i3, i5, i 7 and it got me thinking. Don't know about the U's.

Both those are dual cores with hyperthreading. Th i7 has 1MB more cache, the i5 has better onboard graphics.

CPU - Ryzen 7 5800x3D |  GPU - RTX 3080 TUF OC | Motherboard - ASUS TUF X570 | RAM - Patriot Viper Blackout 32GB 3200MHz | Case - InWin 805 | Boot Drive - Corsair MP600 PCIe 4.0  Storage - 2 x 1TB SSD's & 1 500GB SSD | PSU - Seasonic Focus Gold 1000w | Display - ASUS TUF VG27WQ Curved 1440P 165Hz | Cooling - ASUS TUF LC240 AIO + 5 aRGB Fans

23 minutes ago, Litargirio said:

Asus > HP

Eh, could beg to differ for many laptops.

i7-6700k  Cooling: Deepcool Captain 240EX White GPU: GTX 1080Ti EVGA FTW3 Mobo: AsRock Z170 Extreme4 Case: Phanteks P400s TG Special Black/White PSU: EVGA 850w GQ Ram: 64GB (3200Mhz 16x4 Corsair Vengeance RGB) Storage 1x 1TB Seagate Barracuda 240GBSandisk SSDPlus, 480GB OCZ Trion 150, 1TB Crucial NVMe
(Rest of Specs on Profile)

10 minutes ago, Cone_94 said:

What about the i5 and i7? I just watched the video by Linus explaining the i3, i5, i 7 and it got me thinking. Don't know about the U's.

Laptop CPUs are an exception, as there are i7s with just 2 cores and HT. You can look the CPUs up at ark.intel.com for detailed specs.

i7 4790K || R9 290X + R9 290 || 16GB G.Skill TridentX 1866 || Gigabyte Z97MX Gaming 5 || Crucial MX100 256GB || WD Caviar Blue 1TB

12 minutes ago, Cone_94 said:

U series is Low power, CPUs that have a total power usage of 15w. They are dual-cores with hyperthreading.

idk

4 hours ago, Cone_94 said:

-snip-

If video editing and rendering is what you want, then you want neither of those. You can see the guide for mobile chips in my signature for more information if you want. ULV laptop CPUs have a 15W limit (sometimes 20W depending on the notebook) that includes the power the iGPU draws. They're also all dual cores with hyperthreading, no quadcores.

I have finally moved to a desktop. Also my guides are outdated as hell.

THE INFORMATION GUIDES: SLI INFORMATION || vRAM INFORMATION || MOBILE i7 CPU INFORMATION || Maybe more someday