Updating amd drivers anything above 16.8.3 pc reboots while gaming even with the recently amd relive 16.12.2 (solved)

neytanchu

I have an MSI R9 380 4gb was using Amd driver 16.8.3 and i played every game fine at ultra (witcher 3, rottr, dark souls 3, doom etc.) With not so good framerate of course. But when i try to update to newer drivers 16.9.1 above my pc suddenly reboots while gaming only and with the latest 16.12.2 relive drivers the problem still occurs, i tried removing the drivers with DDU and made a clean driver install, and i tried any fixes i found on the internet but nothing worked, and i seem to be the only one in the world with this problem lol. I even reinstalled my windows 8.1 64-bit as a last resort, cause i really wanna try relive but the problem still occurs. The last fix i havent tried is updating the bios but maybe this is a hardware issue? I was doing fine with driver 16.8.3 though so i rolled back to it so i can play, but i really wanna update drivers. My temps were 70-89 while gaming for hours, 45-60 idle.

Specs:
PSU: corsair VS550
MOBO:GIGABYTE H97M-D3H
GPU: MSI R9 380
CPU: intel I5-4460
RAM: 2x4GB kingston hyperX
HDD:WD blue 1tb

Edit: bought a new power supply problem solved

Edited by neytanchu
Problem solved

13 minutes ago, neytanchu said:

I even reinstalled my windows 8.1 64-bit as a last resort

Why are you still using Windows 8.1? :P

And what kind of rebooting is ocurring? Is your computer turning completely off and then back on like the power is cutting out? Graphics driver errors are usually things like your screen freezing or blue screen of death's (BSOD).

What kind of reboot? Freeze and then reboot? Black screen? BSOD? Does it just immediately restart?

It honestly could be because you have a shit PSU

We have a NEW and GLORIOUSER-ER-ER PSU Tier List Now. (dammit @LukeSavenije stop coming up with new ones)

You can check out the old one that gave joy to so many across the land here

Computer having a hard time powering on? Troubleshoot it with this guide. (Currently looking for suggestions to update it into the context of <current year> and make it its own thread)

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

Mathresolvermajig: Intel Xeon E3 1240 (Sandy Bridge i7 equivalent)

Chillinmachine: Noctua NH-C14S
Framepainting-inator: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2 Hybrid

Attachcorethingy: Gigabyte H61M-S2V-B3

Infoholdstick: Corsair 2x4GB DDR3 1333

Computerarmor: Silverstone RL06 "Lookalike"

Rememberdoogle: 1TB HDD + 120GB TR150 + 240 SSD Plus + 1TB MX500

AdditionalPylons: Phanteks AMP! 550W (based on Seasonic GX-550)

Letterpad: Rosewill Apollo 9100 (Cherry MX Red)

Buttonrodent: Razer Viper Mini + Huion H430P drawing Tablet

Auralnterface: Sennheiser HD 6xx

Liquidrectangles: LG 27UK850-W 4K HDR

19 minutes ago, MaxBunny said:

Why are you still using Windows 8.1? :P

And what kind of rebooting is ocurring? Is your computer turning completely off and then back on like the power is cutting out? Graphics driver errors are usually things like your screen freezing or blue screen of death's (BSOD).

Yeah its turning completely off and back on, but it's not happening if im in 16.8.3 driver i can play for hours, and i like 8.1 i dunno why :D

20 minutes ago, Energycore said:

What kind of reboot? Freeze and then reboot? Black screen? BSOD? Does it just immediately restart?

It honestly could be because you have a shit PSU

It's a corsair VS550, its just when i opened witcher 3  and load my game i'll see geralt for 3 secs then in it shuts down and goes back on, but it's completely fine in 16.8.3 driver i can play for hours

4 minutes ago, neytanchu said:

It's a corsair VS550, its just when i opened witcher 3  and load my game i'll see geralt for 3 secs then in it shuts down and goes back on, but it's completely fine in 16.8.3 driver i can play for hours

So maybe my PSU cant handle higher driver versions? I dont know how it works, im looking to buy a seasonic g-750 80plus gold if my PSU is ghe problem

10 minutes ago, huilun02 said:

Get MSI Afterburner and downclock it to 970Mhz and 5700Mhz on the core and memory respectively. Set power to +20%

And try your games again

I only have up to 1750 on memory clock and the drivers failed once after i install after burner, it still shuts down, im gonna try to install dishonored and reinstall the drivers , thanks for your reply!

1 hour ago, neytanchu said:

Keep the 16.8.3 for a while. Test it across a week or something. I'd make sure it's the drivers 100%.