Motherboard Fan Inputs - Urgent

Ramen Man

I have just noticed that the motherboard that I am getting for my first pc build does not have more than 2 fan inputs and I have the Corsair Carbide SPEC-03 that has 2 case fans as my case which I already have. What shall I do about it, it will arrive by next Wednesday so I can't cancel it right now?

Motherboard: ASUS Intel Lga1151 H110 Plus DDR4 Atx Motherboard

5 minutes ago, Ramen Man said:

I have just noticed that the motherboard that I am getting for my first pc build does not have more than 2 fan inputs and I have the Corsair Carbide SPEC-03 that has 2 case fans as my case which I already have. What shall I do about it, it will arrive by next Wednesday so I can't cancel it right now?

You can just get fan splitters.

1 minute ago, Powis21 said:

You can just get fan splitters. Although i don't think that will allow PWM control...

It definitely allows pwm.

It just only reports the speed of one of the fans back to the mobo. All of the fans get the pwm signal though.

Build: Intel S2600gz, 2x E5-2670, EVGA SC 1070, Zotac 1060 6GB mini, 48GB Micron 1333mhz ECC DDR3, 2x Intel DPS-750XB 750 watt PSU

https://pcpartpicker.com/user/elerek/saved/3T7D4D

I would also like to say is that about the type of air flow I will be needing since I am only able to have 1 case fan used, shall I have one taking in air or one taking out air instead? PSU fan is facing up in the case btw.

splitters are just fine. You could get a super cheap y-splitter cable or a ~$15 5 port splitter with a sata power input or something. Either will do perfectly fine for you.

Build: Intel S2600gz, 2x E5-2670, EVGA SC 1070, Zotac 1060 6GB mini, 48GB Micron 1333mhz ECC DDR3, 2x Intel DPS-750XB 750 watt PSU

1 minute ago, Elerek said:

splitters are just fine. You could get a super cheap y-splitter cable or a ~$15 5 port splitter with a sata power input or something. Either will do perfectly fine for you.

Just looked on amazon and a local retailer near me, it charges for a good price of £2.99 and the full price is £4.20, retailer is £5.99

Good thing is, Not all of my pc parts arrive on the same day so I got time to get it from the retailer if desperate or order if I am allowed to.

1 minute ago, Ramen Man said:

I would also like to say is that about the type of air flow I will be needing since I am only able to have 1 case fan used, shall I have one taking in air or one taking out air instead? PSU fan is facing up in the case btw.

I'd say in the meantime while you wait for a splitter to have the INTAKE running. You'll have fresh air coming in, and some incidental exhaust from positive air pressure.

As for a splitter I'd recommend this Swiftech one.

This will allow you to control all the fans at once through PWM, they can also all run at full speed.

- Personal Rig -

AMD 7950X3D / 64GB G.SKILL DDR5-6000 EXPO / ASUS RTX 4090 TUF OC
ASUS ProArt X670E / Noctua NH-D15 Corsair 4000D Airflow / Corsair RM1000x / 4 x 2TB Crucial P5 Plus

- 🪦 HW Graveyard 🪦-

MSI GTX 780 Lightning 3GB 🪦🫡 Dec 2013 - Dec 2018
Seasonic Platinum 1000W 🪦🫡 Dec 2013 - Dec 2018

PNY GTX 470 1280MB 🪦🫡 June 2010 - August 2017

Intel Q9550 / Q9450 Systems 🪦🫡 Q1-2008 - Q3-2016
- Desktop Audio Equipment -
ADAM Audio F7's | Topping D30 Pro | Topping A30 Pro | HD598 & HD6XX w/ Sheepskin Pads

Note: I am from England btw, any links from sites like Newegg wont be useful to me xD

1 minute ago, KnightSirius said:

I'd say in the meantime while you wait for a splitter to have the INTAKE running. You'll have fresh air coming in, and some incidental exhaust from positive air pressure.

As for a splitter I'd recommend this Swiftech one.

This will allow you to control all the fans at once through PWM, they can also all run at full speed.

Thanks, I will make sure to do that for my build.

Just now, Ramen Man said:

Thanks, I will make sure to do that for my build.

No problem, also seeing as you are in the UK as you mentioned this is an alternative option from Phobya (Same idea as the Swiftech one)

- Personal Rig -

ASUS ProArt X670E / Noctua NH-D15 Corsair 4000D Airflow / Corsair RM1000x / 4 x 2TB Crucial P5 Plus

- 🪦 HW Graveyard 🪦-

ADAM Audio F7's | Topping D30 Pro | Topping A30 Pro | HD598 & HD6XX w/ Sheepskin Pads

12 hours ago, KnightSirius said:

No problem, also seeing as you are in the UK as you mentioned this is an alternative option from Phobya (Same idea as the Swiftech one)

Good news! Majority of my parts are coming today within an hour or so! CPU and RAM will come later next week. Supposedly, they were to come later next week.

13 hours ago, Ramen Man said:

Buy a fan controller.

Also to prevent any issues with your limited USB 2.0 connectors running a fan controller buy one of these as well.

If buying use the Linus Tech Tips affiliate URL though !

NZXT Internal USB Expansion

ttps://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0031ESKJA

Lots of options to expand your cooling control and power the fans, not necessarily all on the motherboard.

My Rig "Valiant"  Intel® Core™ i7-5930 @3.5GHz ; Asus X99 DELUXE 3.1 ; Corsair H110i ; Corsair Dominator Platinium 64GB 3200MHz CL16 DDR4 ; 2 x 6GB ASUS NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 980 Ti Strix ; Corsair Obsidian Series 900D ; Samsung 950 Pro NVME + Samsung 850 Pro SATA + HDD Western Digital Black - 2TB ; Corsair AX1500i Professional 80 PLUS Titanium ; x3 Samsung S27D850T 27-Inch WQHD Monitor

13 hours ago, Ramen Man said:

So a splitter is not the way to go?

If you get splitters you may not necessarily be able to fully power both fans to 100% if wanted. As the voltage is shared between the splitter.

Something to consider.

Splitters are good and cheap for general case fans that won't need to use PWM in the main. In order to power limited fans and have high RPMs I would always power direct from a fan controller, personally.

It costs more but gives more control.

My Rig "Valiant"  Intel® Core™ i7-5930 @3.5GHz ; Asus X99 DELUXE 3.1 ; Corsair H110i ; Corsair Dominator Platinium 64GB 3200MHz CL16 DDR4 ; 2 x 6GB ASUS NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 980 Ti Strix ; Corsair Obsidian Series 900D ; Samsung 950 Pro NVME + Samsung 850 Pro SATA + HDD Western Digital Black - 2TB ; Corsair AX1500i Professional 80 PLUS Titanium ; x3 Samsung S27D850T 27-Inch WQHD Monitor

13 hours ago, Elerek said:
13 hours ago, KnightSirius said:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA4RE5032993&cm_re=fan_splitter_pwm-_-11-984-004-_-Product

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Phobya-8x-4-Pin-Splitter-PWM-x/dp/B00OD7MO6E/

That one is different however, as that is an individually powered fan hub. So voltages are not shared across a single motherboard header. They are powered by a 12 v SATA connection in the hub. That would be a good option alternative to buying a fan controller.

2 hours ago, mark_cameron said:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA4RE5032993&cm_re=fan_splitter_pwm-_-11-984-004-_-Product

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Phobya-8x-4-Pin-Splitter-PWM-x/dp/B00OD7MO6E/

That one is different however, as that is an individually powered fan hub. So voltages are not shared across a single motherboard header. They are powered by a 12 v SATA connection in the hub. That would be a good option alternative to buying a fan controller.

If he gets one without a dedicated power in, there are also fan cables that have a sata power cable spliced on.

Also, I actually don't have pwm going to most of my fans right now because my motherboard has proprietary fan headers (thanks intel :P ), so I'm using the splitters and some 'silencing cables' from noctua (just fan cables with resistors in them) to lower the fan rpms to where I want them...

Just now, Elerek said:

If he gets one without a dedicated power in, there are also fan cables that have a sata power cable spliced on.

Agree. I'm not against the solution. Just want to make sure he can run at 100% rpm.

If the SATA power is spliced in that is just as good.

I don't see what you guys are getting at. He can simply attach the powered PWM splitter I suggested it to his CPU_FAN header and control his whole system through that which is very simple and cleaner solution, it's limited to PWM and won't work with voltage IIRC but it doesn't matter as every CPU_FAN header is PWM by standard.

Also why was it suggested to get internal USB headers? (No context given to that). 
As for Y-Splitters for Chassis fan headers, there is no advantage to that unless it's a MUST to control the fans individually, but then you're limited to 50% speed anyways, I don't see a point.

Best option is to simply get either the Swiftech/Phobya PWM splitter as I recommended originally and control them all at once. This provides the ability to control your whole system together through PWM as well as the ability to run them at full speed which a Y-Splitter won't allow.

- Personal Rig -

- 🪦 HW Graveyard 🪦-