Buying Windows 10 Home - any options?

imjtblanton

I'm building a computer and am planning on installing Windows 10. Not really interested in Linux. As of now I'm going to buy a Windows 10 Home 64-bit DVD from Micro Center for $110. Is there any other legal option for getting Windows 10? There's sites like Kinguin that sell it for less than $30. Are these copies reliable? Apparently this is also kind of a legal grey area. I also don't want to torrent or do buying/swapping on Reddit. That seems unethical and unsafe.

I have a Windows 10 DVD from a previous installation, but according to various sites and the license agreement you can only use it for one computer. Other than that are there any other buying options?

Kinguin is a very good option, if you want extra peace of mind you can get buyer protection for like two bucks.

Main Rig: Intel Core i7 4790k, R9 280x, EVGA 500 watt 80puls bronze, 32GB Ram HyperX120GB Kingston SSD, 1tb WD Blue, Asus sabertooth Z97, Aerocool A800

Router: Pentium G3220, 8GB Ram, No idea what board,250 Watt PSU, 320gb Seagate Drive

Personal Devices: OnePlus3, Kindle Fire HDX

If you or a family member work in education or are attending college and even some schools you may be able to get a discount. If your media isn't an OEM license I thought you could move it to another machine. You'll probably have to talk to microsoft to actually get it activated but I thought you could get that to work. If I can find the article about relicensing Windows 10 I'll post it. They basically just don't want you reactivating over and over again but the activation will be invalid if you change a major part in your PC so they made it so you can reactivate it through a Microsoft connected account. You might just do some googling about how to hook an act key to an account then reactivate on your new machine. 

9 hours ago, imjtblanton said:

I'm building a computer and am planning on installing Windows 10. Not really interested in Linux. As of now I'm going to buy a Windows 10 Home 64-bit DVD from Micro Center for $110. Is there any other legal option for getting Windows 10? There's sites like Kinguin that sell it for less than $30. Are these copies reliable? Apparently this is also kind of a legal grey area. I also don't want to torrent or do buying/swapping on Reddit. That seems unethical and unsafe.

I have a Windows 10 DVD from a previous installation, but according to various sites and the license agreement you can only use it for one computer. Other than that are there any other buying options?

These copies are legitimate however they are not the same.

Buying a $110 copy from Microsoft ensures that it is a RETAIL copy of Windows 10 rather than an OEM copy.

RETAIL copies allow you to change motherboard, CPU or hardware specs as you wish without re-activating Windows.

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),