0 RPM on fan, Speedfan bug?

jnkokseby
Go to solution Solved by jnkokseby,
5 minutes ago, legacy99 said:

try bumping the RPM % up a bit. There is usually a point where its to low to keep rotational speed going. This could be what is happening. 15% is awefully slow. Try bumping it up to like 30-50% and see. 

Will try hang on a sec

EDIT: Thank you that worked wonders. It's just kinda weird since it has been running at that speed before. Will mark as solved

So a while ago I installed Speedfan because one of my fans were blowing at 1800rpm at idle (Corsair 120ML Pro) I got it all running smoothly and close to silent. Suddenly I noticed that my System fan (the one mentioned earlier) had dropped to 0 RPM, I took of the front of the case (Fractal Design Define S), it wasn't running, so it was not a reading error. I eventually fixed it by reinstalling Speedfan. Now it has stopped again and the only way to fix it is to reinstall Speedfan completely every time the bug or whatever happens. Have you guys ever run into this problem and/or do you know a better way to fix this? It's not because the fan is required to keep my system alive, it's just bugging me.

Sorry for my shitty grammar, hope you understand my problem and thanks in advance :D

Capture.JPG

CPU: Intel Core I7 7700K & Corsair H100i v2
Mobo: Asus Maximus IX Hero
RAM: 32 Gigs @ 3000Mhz, Corsair Dominator Platinum
GPU: Asus Strix 1080 A8G
Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 500gb
PSU: Corsair HX750i
Case: Fractal Design Define S

its not a bug. the rpm only shows if you plug in the fan in a 4 pin connector (PWM) 

try bumping the RPM % up a bit. There is usually a point where its to low to keep rotational speed going. This could be what is happening. 15% is awefully slow. Try bumping it up to like 30-50% and see. 

Community Standards | Fan Control Software

Please make sure to Quote me or @ me to see your reply!

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

Just now, legacy99 said:

i have to disagree with you. if he plugged in his fan in a 3 pin connector the rpm will not show. heck the software wont even detect that there is a fan it only works if its plugged in a 4 pin fan connector. i had some experience with this software and i have 4 fans and only 1 of them shows up and its the fan thats connected to the 4 pin connector even though the fan is a 3 pin connector 

2 minutes ago, psycoUSA said:

its not a bug. the rpm only shows if you plug in the fan in a 4 pin connector (PWM) 

Which it is. The fan works by magnetic levetation. In order for the fan to work properly it needs 12 volts.

5 minutes ago, legacy99 said:

Will try hang on a sec

EDIT: Thank you that worked wonders. It's just kinda weird since it has been running at that speed before. Will mark as solved

2 minutes ago, jnkokseby said:

Which it is. The fan works by magnetic levetation. In order for the fan to work properly it needs 12 volts.

what i mean is that the motherboard jack is actually a 4 pin not the fan. voltage doesnt make a difference

wait... i have misread your post and didnt quite understand your problem. my apologies.

maybe try connecting your fan to a different port and try again. 

1 minute ago, psycoUSA said:

wait... i have misread your post and didnt quite understand your problem. my apologies.

@legacy99 Solved it for me, I had set the RPM too low for it to run, bumped up the speed on the fan, and it worked again.

3 minutes ago, psycoUSA said:

7 minutes ago, jnkokseby said:

Will try hang on a sec

Issue is resolved. His fan speed was set to low so not enough voltage was getting supplied to keep the fan running. The header is PWM and 15% is not enough to keep it spinning. 

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

18 minutes ago, jnkokseby said:

Will try hang on a sec

Its likely that that 15% is probably the ultra low threshold that supplies just enough voltage to get it started when the stars align in a celestial miracle. Glad bumping the % up a little bit solved the issue for you :)

"Black Out"

Dedicated Streaming Rig