Covert MBR to GPT only the Partition

Go to solution Solved by jj9987,
Just now, prasanth_1991 said:

I need to clean selected partition. If I select and clean does it clean entire hard drive or the selected partition ?

From Microsoft TechNet:

Clean: Removes any and all partition or volume formatting from the disk with focus. On master boot record (MBR) disks, only the MBR partitioning information and hidden sector information are overwritten. On GUID partition table (GPT) disks, the GPT partitioning information, including the Protective MBR, is overwritten; there is no hidden sector information.

Clean all: Specifies that each and every sector on the disk is zeroed, which completely deletes all data contained on the disk

So 'clean' command removes all the data from the drive.

Hi,

I'm currently installing windows 10 on my pc. While installing I receive a message called " Windows can only install on GPT " I know how to convert, but I have another question regarding this issue. What I did is, I bring cmd while installing by pressing Shift + f10.

ME on CMD : diskpart

ME on CMD : list disk 

CMD to ME : showing list of disk (It shows only the hard drive not partition)

ME on CMD : select disk 1

CMD to ME : disk 1 is selected

ME on CMD : list partition

CMD to ME : Showing list of partition

ME on CMD : Select partition 1 (My partition contain files and I need to format only one partition)

CMD to ME : Partiton 1 is selected 

My question is If I write clean, does format only the selected partition or entire hard drive ? I really don't want to format entire hard disk, because it contain my 300 gb project file that I done so for. 

So please help me out, I need an answer. I would really appreciated If I got a quick replay :)    

Thanks 

Warm regards

Prasanth B

If you selected a partition, and you "clean" (format) it, it should only do so on selected partition/disk.

But just make sure you pick the correct partition. Not sure, but I thought disks and partitions started with zero, not one...

MBR/GPT is applied to the whole drive. All partitions are completely lost.

But windows 10 runs perfectly on MBR drives. You just have to boot from your installation media in legacy/bios mode instead or uefi mode. Depending on your mainboard this can be a little tricky, but I prefer the old mbr over uefi. Just a lot less trouble...

Ryzen 5 5600, 32GB DDR4, GTX 3070Ti, Acer Predator x34

InWin 901

As above, should only clean the selected disk partitions.  Just be 100% certain you have the correct disk selected before cleaning :)

Please quote or tag me if you need a reply

@prasanth_1991

EVERYONE IS THIS THREAD HAS GIVEN YOU THE WRONG INFO, DO NOT CLEAN TO DELETE A PARTITION!!!!!!!!

Clean will destroy whatever disk you run it on, it deletes the entire partition table and leaves the entire drive in a raw state.

Use DELETE PART or DELETE PARTITION to delete just the partition you have selected.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

13 hours ago, Master Disaster said:

@prasanth_1991

EVERYONE IS THIS THREAD HAS GIVEN YOU THE WRONG INFO, DO NOT CLEAN TO DELETE A PARTITION!!!!!!!!

Clean will destroy whatever disk you run it on, it deletes the entire partition table and leaves the entire drive in a raw state.

Use DELETE PART or DELETE PARTITION to delete just the partition you have selected.

Thanks for the information. I need to install windows 10 one of my partition, while selecting partition it says  " Windows can only install on GPT " how I can convert MBR to GPT on my partition without clean ?

MBR or GPT applies to the whole drive, not just one partition.

MBR (Master Boot Record) and GPT (GUID Partition Table) are the partition tables, that contain the info, what partitions exist on the disk.

To change to GPT, you need to wipe all partitions on the drive, convert and create new partition(s).

One reason why Windows may require GPT is if the drive is over 2TB in capacity. MBR does not support drives larger than 2TB.

EDIT: Second reason is that if you are trying to install Windows in UEFI mode, then GPT is also required.

So, as for a solution to your problem - Get your data off the drive (using Linux Live USB (Ubuntu for example) and then use GParted to delete all partitions and generate the new GPT partition table on the drive. Then go back to installing Windows.

HAL9000: AMD Ryzen 9 3900x | Noctua NH-D15 chromax.black | 32 GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 MHz | Asus X570 Prime Pro | ASUS TUF 3080 Ti | 1 TB Samsung 970 Evo Plus + 1 TB Crucial MX500 + 6 TB WD RED | Corsair HX1000 | be quiet Pure Base 500DX | LG 34UM95 34" 3440x1440

Hydrogen server: Intel i3-10100 | Cryorig M9i | 64 GB Crucial Ballistix 3200MHz DDR4 | Gigabyte B560M-DS3H | 33 TB of storage | Fractal Design Define R5 | unRAID 6.9.2

Carbon server: Fujitsu PRIMERGY RX100 S7p | Xeon E3-1230 v2 | 16 GB DDR3 ECC | 60 GB Corsair SSD & 250 GB Samsung 850 Pro | Intel i340-T4 | ESXi 6.5.1

Big Mac cluster: 2x Raspberry Pi 2 Model B | 1x Raspberry Pi 3 Model B | 2x Raspberry Pi 3 Model B+

2 minutes ago, jj9987 said:

MBR (Master Boot Record) and GPT (GUID Partition Table) are the partition tables, that contain the info, what partitions exist on the disk.

To change to GPT, you need to wipe all partitions on the drive, convert and create new partitions.

One reason why Windows may require GPT is if the drive is over 2TB in capacity. MBR does not support drives larger than 2TB.

EDIT: Second reason is that if you are trying to install Windows in UEFI mode, then GPT is also required.

This^^^

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

13 hours ago, jj9987 said:

To change to GPT, you need to wipe all partitions on the drive, convert and create new partitions.

I need to clean selected partition. If I select and clean does it clean entire hard drive or the selected partition ?

Just now, prasanth_1991 said:

From Microsoft TechNet:

Clean: Removes any and all partition or volume formatting from the disk with focus. On master boot record (MBR) disks, only the MBR partitioning information and hidden sector information are overwritten. On GUID partition table (GPT) disks, the GPT partitioning information, including the Protective MBR, is overwritten; there is no hidden sector information.

Clean all: Specifies that each and every sector on the disk is zeroed, which completely deletes all data contained on the disk

So 'clean' command removes all the data from the drive.

HAL9000: AMD Ryzen 9 3900x | Noctua NH-D15 chromax.black | 32 GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 MHz | Asus X570 Prime Pro | ASUS TUF 3080 Ti | 1 TB Samsung 970 Evo Plus + 1 TB Crucial MX500 + 6 TB WD RED | Corsair HX1000 | be quiet Pure Base 500DX | LG 34UM95 34" 3440x1440

Hydrogen server: Intel i3-10100 | Cryorig M9i | 64 GB Crucial Ballistix 3200MHz DDR4 | Gigabyte B560M-DS3H | 33 TB of storage | Fractal Design Define R5 | unRAID 6.9.2

Carbon server: Fujitsu PRIMERGY RX100 S7p | Xeon E3-1230 v2 | 16 GB DDR3 ECC | 60 GB Corsair SSD & 250 GB Samsung 850 Pro | Intel i340-T4 | ESXi 6.5.1

Big Mac cluster: 2x Raspberry Pi 2 Model B | 1x Raspberry Pi 3 Model B | 2x Raspberry Pi 3 Model B+

3 minutes ago, prasanth_1991 said:

Clean will destroy the entire drive so you need to backup your files before you do it.

Might be easier to head into UEFI & look for CSM or Compatibility Support Module (on MSI boards its called Windows 8/10 Install Mode and should be disabled) Enable that then open your boot menu and choose the non uefi boot option. This should allow you to install on a MBR partition.