Connecting a Router to a Modem/Router Combo

Appleboy45

I'm not an expert when it comes to routers or networking in general, so I am going to do more research on this. Anyway, we use Xfinity wireless and they gave us a modem and router combo (And don't complain about the service we are using. Those comments mean nothing to me). I want to connect a router to give me some extra Ethernet ports. When connecting a router to  router and modem combo, can Injust plug the router into the Ethernet port? Or is there a specific port I need to connect the router to the modem?

I want to connect a router to give me some extra Ethernet ports. When connecting a router to  router and modem combo, can Injust plug the router into the Ethernet port? Or is there a specific port I need to connect the router to the modem?

Just for the sake of my reply, let's call the modem/router combo the "modem" and your other router the "3P router" (as in 3rd party)

If you want to be strict about it, what you're supposed to do is connect the 3P router to Ethernet Port#1 of the modem. Then you may configure the modem to go into "bridge mode". This will disable all router capabilities of the modem and transfer that responsibility to your 3P router.

Or yknow you can also just do ghetto and just plug it in without the bridge mode. For some reason this also works. But you may encounter problems in the future (e.g. double NAT) etc etc.

Karamo

Spoiler

CPU: AMD Ryzen™ 5 3600 | CPU Cooler: Wraith Stealth | GPU: Gigabgyte AORUS GeForce RTX 2070 Super | Motherboard: MSI B450M Mortar Max | RAM: G.Skill FlareX 2x8GB 3200MHz CL16 | SSD: ADATA XPG SX6000 Pro M.2 256GB | HDD: 1TB 2.5" Western Digital Blue (WD10SPZX) | Case: NZXT H510 | OS: Windows 10 Pro 64-bit |

there are issues with DHCP conflicts. you need a router without a modem to act as the switch and they will likely need to be on different subnets so the switch knows where to send traffic. much easier to setup using static ip

☼

ψ ︿_____︿_ψ_   

2 hours ago, Appleboy45 said:

I'm not an expert when it comes to routers or networking in general, so I am going to do more research on this. Anyway, we use Xfinity wireless and they gave us a modem and router combo (And don't complain about the service we are using. Those comments mean nothing to me). I want to connect a router to give me some extra Ethernet ports. When connecting a router to  router and modem combo, can Injust plug the router into the Ethernet port? Or is there a specific port I need to connect the router to the modem?

Phone Xfinity and get them to bridge the modem. This effectively turns their crappy modem/router combo unit into just a modem with no routing functionality. Then you provide the router to handle all the devices on your network. Please make sure your router isn't a potato.

Desktop: KiRaShi-Intel-2022 (i5-12600K, RTX2060) Mobile: OnePlus 5T | REDACTED - 50GB US + CAN Data for $34/month
Laptop: Dell XPS 15 9560 (the real 15" MacBook Pro that Apple didn't make) Tablet: iPad Mini 5 | Lenovo IdeaPad Duet 10.1
Camera: Canon M6 Mark II | Canon Rebel T1i (500D) | Canon SX280 | Panasonic TS20D Music: Spotify Premium (CIRCA '08)

15 hours ago, kirashi said:

Please make sure your router isn't a potato.

10/10 agree

Karamo

Spoiler

CPU: AMD Ryzen™ 5 3600 | CPU Cooler: Wraith Stealth | GPU: Gigabgyte AORUS GeForce RTX 2070 Super | Motherboard: MSI B450M Mortar Max | RAM: G.Skill FlareX 2x8GB 3200MHz CL16 | SSD: ADATA XPG SX6000 Pro M.2 256GB | HDD: 1TB 2.5" Western Digital Blue (WD10SPZX) | Case: NZXT H510 | OS: Windows 10 Pro 64-bit |