USB ports not active Pre-OS Start

DKL
Go to solution Solved by toastythomas,

You answered your own question. Pull the "KTS thing" out and put it back in.

If I try to get into the BIOS either during startup or through the ASRock Restart to BIOS I can't use my keyboard or mouse at all. My motherboard is the ASROCK H170M Pro4.

i3 6100,

GTX 950,

16GB RAM,

Samsung 240GB 850 Evo.

I think my Motherboard is set to fast start. I don't know where the CMOS battery is on the motherboard, here's a picture of the motherboard itself though for anyone that feels like pointing it out to me. Source: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157641

(is it that capped 'KTS' thing in the middle? How do I reset it properly if it is?)

13-157-641-12.jpg?w=660&h=500

A society's accepted views of the world surrounding said society is both the making and undoing of society itself.
“While one person hesitates because he feels inferior, the other is busy making mistakes and becoming superior.” - Henry C. Link

3 hours ago, toastythomas said:

You answered your own question. Pull the "KTS thing" out and put it back in.

is there a particular way to do it properly though? I don't want to break it >.<

A society's accepted views of the world surrounding said society is both the making and undoing of society itself.
“While one person hesitates because he feels inferior, the other is busy making mistakes and becoming superior.” - Henry C. Link

Pull it out, wait 10 seconds (or moar) and put it back in. (remember what's up and down...)

If it fails, pray the mobo has a PS/2 for keyboards, and get a two fidi used PS/2 keyboard.

Okay, thanks guys. :D

2 minutes ago, DKL said:

is there a particular way to do it properly though? I don't want to break it >.<

On your picture, right side of your battery. There is a spring style clip. Push it to the right, and the battery should "pop out" or at least pop up.

3 hours ago, Dutch-stoner said:

On your picture, right side of your battery. There is a spring style clip. Push it to the right, and the battery should "pop out" or at least pop up.

Okay, thanks!!

On 12/20/2016 at 6:01 PM, Dutch-stoner said:

One more question. There's supposed to be an alternative way to do this right? Shorting two pins if I remember correctly? Where are those located?

In the past, you could overclock replacing crystals. After that, you needed to use jumpers. After that, switched on the motherboard. Currently, you could change things only in your bios. But it was always highly recommended to read your manual.

If you can reset your motherboard by connecting 2 pins (you should use jumpers for that), you can find information about it in your manual. But removing the battery works just as good.

In the past, you could overclock replacing crystals. After that, you needed to use jumpers. After that, switched on the motherboard. Currently, you could change things only in your bios. But it was always highly recommended to read your manual.

If you can reset your motherboard by connecting 2 pins (you should use jumpers for that), you can find information about it in your manual. But removing the battery works just as good.

Okay, well neither option was in the manual which is why I had to come here. I've thoroughly read through all my manuals just incase even though I've done a lot of research online into everything except special edgecases I didn't require information of (like watercooling). Removing the battery is really annoying since my fingernail gets pretty scratched up by it so was just looking for an easier way.

If you are carefull, you can use a know or flat screwdriver to move that spring clip, so the battery pops up. Just don't scratch anything else.

Also, not sure if then new motherboards even have jumpers for clearing your BIOS settings, but I am still using older hardware.

If your manual doesn't say anything about clear BIOS, try looking for clear CMOS. (somethimes manufacturers use that name) You might also want to look for some random double pins on your motherboard, without a plastic casing surrounding it. It should read something like "clr cmos". If you can't find anything like that on your motherboard, you might not have "an easy way".

But as I said, I have only old hardware experience, maybe someone else with modern hardware knowlage can help you out.

@DKL Check out the modified screenshot thingy. I zoomed in enough to read things. Check red circle. Switch them jumpers for +/- 10 seconds minimal, to clear your BIOS.

13-157-641-12.jpg

@DKL Check out the modified screenshot thingy. I zoomed in enough to read things. Check red circle. Switch them jumpers for +/- 10 seconds minimal, to clear your BIOS.

13-157-641-12.jpg

Thanks!! :D