Samsung SM951 AHCI - MSI X99S Gaming 7 - 5820K

Go to solution Solved by zMeul,

the SAMSUNG SM951 MZHPV256HDGL is an odd ball - it's a PCIe drive that uses the AHCI protocol and not the NVMe one

W7 should theoretically recognize it using it's default Microsoft AHCI drivers

----

the video you saw on RAMCity is one way to make a bootable USB W7 install drive from a W7 DVD if you don't have the .iso file

Just bought a Samsung SM951 AHCI for my MSI X99S Gaming 7 - Moving my build onto a Thermaltake P5 - Question is once I set the (bios) M.2 Link Negotiation to 'AUTO' for the best performance out of the 951 and do the usual boot priority set up etc... will i be able to simply load Win 7 Pro (disk) successfully onto the 951. Ram City has a video of a Win 7 install onto a SM951 AHCI using an Asus MB involving prepping a USB with ISO and Rufus.

Attachments are the build in progress and my 'daily driver' - MSI Gaming 5 w/ 4790K

New Build 003.JPG

Core P5 002.JPG

29 minutes ago, IBNovice said:

Just bought a Samsung SM951 AHCI for my MSI X99S Gaming 7 - Moving my build onto a Thermaltake P5 - Question is once I set the (bios) M.2 Link Negotiation to 'AUTO' for the best performance out of the 951 and do the usual boot priority set up etc... will i be able to simply load Win 7 Pro (disk) successfully onto the 951. Ram City has a video of a Win 7 install onto a SM951 AHCI using an Asus MB involving prepping a USB with ISO and Rufus.

Attachments are the build in progress and my 'daily driver' - MSI Gaming 5 w/ 4790K  

-snip-

You shouldn't need to 

Hello

the SAMSUNG SM951 MZHPV256HDGL is an odd ball - it's a PCIe drive that uses the AHCI protocol and not the NVMe one

W7 should theoretically recognize it using it's default Microsoft AHCI drivers

----

the video you saw on RAMCity is one way to make a bootable USB W7 install drive from a W7 DVD if you don't have the .iso file

Looking to keep it simple, I went with the AHCI as opposed to the NVMe until I upgrade (Ugggh!) yet again someday.

I will load it straight forward and I THANK YOU for your help.