Internet on New PC Not Working

xwboy
Go to solution Solved by EunSoo,
1 minute ago, xwboy said:

MSI Z170A Gaming Pro Carbon

Go to this page and download the On Board LAN drivers:

https://us.msi.com/Motherboard/support/Z170A-GAMING-PRO-CARBON.html#down-driver&Win10 64

Hello!

I built a new PC over the weekend. I've got it connected via ethernet directly to the router. Last night, I began to have internet problems. When I restart my PC, the internet will work fine for a few minutes. Then, for whatever reason, it decides to not work at all. All of the other devices in the house are connected over wifi and work fine. As this is a new PC and I haven't done anything stupid I don't think I have an infection. I've tried ipconfig /release and /renew with no luck. I'm running (unactivated) Windows 10 Pro and have AVG Internet Security installed for antivirus.

Any help is appreciated! If you need more information just ask!

1 minute ago, SCGazelle said:

Have you installed your network drivers?

Sorry, I'm a total noob when it comes to networking. Where would I find these drivers?

Just now, xwboy said:

Sorry, I'm a total noob when it comes to networking. Where would I find these drivers?

what is your motherboard?

Just now, Dawson Wehage said:

whats the motherboard name

MSI Z170A Gaming Pro Carbon

4 minutes ago, SCGazelle said:

Go to this page and download the On Board LAN drivers:

https://us.msi.com/Motherboard/support/Z170A-GAMING-PRO-CARBON.html#down-driver&Win10 64

Just now, Dawson Wehage said:

Here is the network driver download

http://download.msi.com/dvr_exe/Intel_Network_skl.zip

Thanks to you both. I'll install these and report back.

1 minute ago, xwboy said:

Thanks to you both. I'll install these and report back.

only install the bottom one.

The geek himself.

1 minute ago, Dawson Wehage said:

only install the bottom one.

They seem to be the same file.

Just now, xwboy said:

They seem to be the same file.

yeah they are. thats why only install one of them lol

The geek himself.

@Dawson Wehage and @SCGazelle the problem has returned. I restarted the computer and after 5 minutes the problem mentioned in the OP began happening again. Any help available?

20 minutes ago, xwboy said:

@Dawson Wehage and @SCGazelle the problem has returned. I restarted the computer and after 5 minutes the problem mentioned in the OP began happening again. Any help available?

Try going to task manager, just right click on your start button and click task manager. Go to Startup and disable all the AVG related start up pieces. Restart and see if the problem comes back. We've had issues with AVG running updates and killing internet in the process. If necessary you can try reinstalling it or just trying something else altogether, I've enjoyed Avast! free on my gaming PC for awhile now.  Also make sure you don't have more than one antivirus installed as that can cause issues as well. 

Edit: I didn't read your whole post and now just noticed the other devices working. 

1 minute ago, DyverTech said:

Are you sure your internet is working? Can you try on another PC or wireless on your phone? 

Try going to task manager, just right click on your start button and click task manager. Go to Startup and disable all the AVG related start up pieces. Restart and see if the problem comes back. We've had issues with AVG running updates and killing internet in the process. If necessary you can try reinstalling it or just trying something else altogether, I've enjoyed Avast! free on my gaming PC for awhile now.  Also make sure you don't have more than one antivirus installed as that can cause issues as well. 

The internet works on all of the other devices in the house. They're all connected via WiFi if that matters. I'll try disabling AVG and report back to you.

12 minutes ago, DyverTech said:

Edit: I didn't read your whole post and now just noticed the other devices working. 

It's been around 8 minutes since I restarted and still no problems. Looks like AVG might have been the problem after all. I want to continue using AVG if at all possible. If I uninstall and reinstall will the problem return?

Possibly if it's not playing nicely with something else. I'd download the AVG remover software and uninstall AVG normally then run that to make sure it completely cleans it off. Then just download a fresh copy from their site. You can check through your event viewer to see if there are any errors coming up from AVG or a program/driver that isn't working with it then diagnose from there. Check to make sure your Windows Firewall is either running without AVG's or AVG's is running and Window's isn't. One of the issues I ran into was Creative Cloud also trying to update seemed to be messing with AVG. We ended up having to disable AVG while Creative Cloud updated then re-enable it. Not sure if that applies to you but may be worth keeping in mind if you have programs looking for updates. 

You can also try a piece of software called Windows Repair Toolbox. It'll run different diagnostics and has a lot of useful software you can get through it. One of which is a network troubleshooting. Supposedly, it tries a lot of options to repair your network. I've never tried that bit but it might work for you. 

Good luck, 

14 minutes ago, DyverTech said:

Possibly if it's not playing nicely with something else. I'd download the AVG remover software and uninstall AVG normally then run that to make sure it completely cleans it off. Then just download a fresh copy from their site. You can check through your event viewer to see if there are any errors coming up from AVG or a program/driver that isn't working with it then diagnose from there. Check to make sure your Windows Firewall is either running without AVG's or AVG's is running and Window's isn't. One of the issues I ran into was Creative Cloud also trying to update seemed to be messing with AVG. We ended up having to disable AVG while Creative Cloud updated then re-enable it. Not sure if that applies to you but may be worth keeping in mind if you have programs looking for updates. 

You can also try a piece of software called Windows Repair Toolbox. It'll run different diagnostics and has a lot of useful software you can get through it. One of which is a network troubleshooting. Supposedly, it tries a lot of options to repair your network. I've never tried that bit but it might work for you. 

Good luck, 

Thank you so much. Hopefully a bad install of AVG was the problem and now my internet will work. If it doesn't, I'll tell you.