HDD & SSD

Tahsin Alam

What are the main differece between HDD and SSD.Why SSDs  are more expensive.What are the advantages?

Thanks in Advance 

Ssds are faster, more durable, longer usage but they cost more and they are hard to recover data if they die. 

HDDs are slower, less durable and will die sooner, but are cheaper and easier to recover data if they die. 

Hard drives are mechanical awhile ssds are flash kinda like a thumb drive. 

This video is 3 years old but should still give you an idea.

|Casual Rig| CPU: i5-6600k |MoBo: ROG Gene  |GPU: Asus 670 Direct CU2 |RAM: RipJaws 2400MHz 2x8GB DDR4 |Heatsink: H100i |Boot Drive: Samsung Evo SSD 240GB|Chassis:BitFenix Prodigy |Peripherals| Keyboard:DasKeyboard, Cherry MX Blue Switches,|Mouse: Corsair M40

|Server Specs| CPU: i7-3770k [OC'd @ 4.1GHz] |MoBo: Sabertooth Z77 |RAM: Corsair Vengeance 1600MHz 2x8GB |Boot Drive: Samsung 840 SSD 128GB|Storage Drive: 4 WD 3TB Red Drives Raid 5 |Chassis:Corsair 600t 

SSD has no moving parts so it can last longer and can take full advantage of 6Gbps sata (up to 600MB/s transfer speed) whereas 7200rpm HDD can only do less than 20℅ of that transfer speed (my WD blue has never done more than 150MBps file transfer)

SSDs are faster in ever aspect. Most noticable is software loading time and file transfer. My PC starts up in less than 15sec whereas my HDD was doing it in over 30sec.

Connection200mbps / 12mbps 5Ghz wifi

My baby: CPU - i7-4790, MB - Z97-A, RAM - Corsair Veng. LP 16gb, GPU - MSI GTX 1060, PSU - CXM 600, Storage - Evo 840 120gb, MX100 256gb, WD Blue 1TB, Cooler - Hyper Evo 212, Case - Corsair Carbide 200R, Monitor - Benq  XL2430T 144Hz, Mouse - FinalMouse, Keyboard -K70 RGB, OS - Win 10, Audio - DT990 Pro, Phone - iPhone SE

1 hour ago, Tahsin Alam said:

What are the main differece between HDD and SSD.Why SSDs  are more expensive.What are the advantages?

Thanks in Advance 

HDD is mechanical. If you know/can imagine how old vinyl players work, the idea is the same. There's a platter with information on it and a read head that accesses the information. The speed you can access the information goes hand in hand with the speed you can physically move the two. Currently things like air resistance and vibrations are the limiting factors.

SSD is based on flash memory which is based on transistors. Much the same thing as your CPU, it's just that these transistors can keep the data even when not powered on. There's no physical limitation (aside from speed of light) to the speed a transistor can deliver information. Currently the limiting factors come from the standards we set for ourself. SATA connection, for example can do 6Gigabits per second.

PROs of HDDs: Reliability and Price. They keep the data at least somewhat recoverable even when physically damaged and the act of accessing the data doesn't wear the parts (the act of moving the parts does, they're not forever). The tech being decades old, it's also dirt cheap. 

PROs of SSDs: Raw speed and size. SSD's are the size they are just because we use form factor standards. There's no actual reason why an SSD drive couldn't be the size of a micro-SD card.

Both have inherit cons too. SSD's wear from being read written to*. HDDs get consume a lot of power. And so on and so forth.

*:Duh.

35 minutes ago, Naeaes said:

SSD's wear from being read

written to*

In terms of usability, ssd's are much faster than hdd's and most notably in random read/writes and access times. The result of running programs and your OS off of a ssd vs a hdd is that it ends up being much snappier and responsive since they rely frequently on many small files. When it comes to sequential transfers for fewer and larger files, hdd's are as far behind.

Asides from better performance, ssd's are more costly and have limited writes but most modern drives can survive hundreds or thousands of terabytes of data written which is more than most people will ever need.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.