Need serious help with W8.1

jonasa97
Go to solution Solved by GoodBytes,

I don't understand how this will change the PCs password though?! It looks like you are instructing me how to change my microsoft account password (or am I mistaken?)

It will change your PC password. When you installed Windows 8.1, you were asked to enter a microsoft account you want to TIE with your system account.

The idea behind this are:

-> All Microsoft Modern UI applications that requires logging in (Mail, Calandar, People, XBox Music, Store, etc.), will not ask you to login.

-> If you tie another system with the same microsoft account, you can have your Windows settings, including wireless passwords, in sync between them.

-> SkyDrive will sync your files (inside the SKyDirve folder) between systems using the same Microsoft account.

-> Installed Modern UI apps, will be in sync between your systems.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-8/microsoft-account-tutorial

Hello,

Today I decided to finally upgrade to windows 8.1 and I already regret it. I have some serious issues logging on and the only way to get in is via my Microsoft account. I tried telling the computer what my password is so it automatically logs in however the OS seems too stupid to verify this before. So I restart to check if it worked and it tells me the password is wrong. I log in via Microsoft AGAIN and start with trial and error. This whole story has made me quite frustrated. Any help would be appreciated. Oh and btw, I tried confirming my Microsoft account with the code I received via email but apparently it was wrong... Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Case: 650D CPU: i5 4670K GPU: GTX 770 Gaming @1306MHz Motherboard: MAXIMUS VI Hero PSU: AX760 CPU Cooler: H100i RAM: 8GB Vengeance Pro @1866MHz Storage: 840 250GB SSD / 2TB Seagate Barracuda 7200.14

did you type in the code perfectly? did you copy paste it? 

[spoiler=CORMAC]CPU:Intel celeron 1.6ghz RAM:Kingston 400mhz 1.99gb MOBO:MSI G31TM-P21 GPU:Will add one later on! CASE:local ROUTER D-Link 2750U, D-LINK 2730U MOUSE:HP,DELL,ViP KEYBOARD: v7 SPEAKERS:Creative 245  MONITOR:AOC E970Sw HEADSET: Sony MDRx05s UPS:conex ups avr 500va PSU:idk OD:Samsung super writemaster STORAGE:80 gb seagate+ Seagate 1TB OS:Windows xp sp3 themed to Windows 7 + Linux |Rest all pc in my house will be updated from time-time

COMING SOON

did you type in the code perfectly? did you copy paste it? 

That being a minor issue only on the side. But yes I copy pasted it.

Case: 650D CPU: i5 4670K GPU: GTX 770 Gaming @1306MHz Motherboard: MAXIMUS VI Hero PSU: AX760 CPU Cooler: H100i RAM: 8GB Vengeance Pro @1866MHz Storage: 840 250GB SSD / 2TB Seagate Barracuda 7200.14

I would just create a local account instead of linking your microsoft account and it should make it easier: http://www.eightforums.com/tutorials/4842-local-account-switch-windows-8-a.html

Hello and Welcome to LTT Forum!

If you are a new member, please read the rules located in "Forum News and Info". Thanks!  :)

Linus Tech Tips Forum Code of Conduct           FAQ           Privacy Policy & Legal Disclaimer

First of all, did you uninstall your A/V before install Windows 8.1, as per highly recommanded by Microsoft (unless you use Windows Defender in 8.0)?

But to answer your problem, why don't you go online on the Microsoft account you tied your system account with, and do a password reset?

I would just create a local account instead of linking your microsoft account and it should make it easier: http://www.eightforums.com/tutorials/4842-local-account-switch-windows-8-a.html

You mean I should create a new account? I'm afraid of doing things right now because I believe anything could stop me from getting in at all -_-. Thanks Microsoft.

First of all, did you uninstall your A/V before install Windows 8.1, as per highly recommanded by Microsoft (unless you use Windows Defender in 8.0)?

But to answer your problem, why don't you go online on the Microsoft account you tied your system account with, and do a password reset?

How would that work? I mean I know my MS account pw just that to auto login I need my PC password which is apparently neither of the 2 variations I remember it was.

How would that work? I mean I know my MS account pw just that to auto login I need my PC password which is apparently neither of the 2 variations I remember it was.

And no I didn't uninstall my avast antivirus before the update.

And for a matter of fact I never remember linking those 2 together however if I unlink them, I am afraid that I won't be able to log in at all anymore since I log in with the MS password and not the PC password. :(

You mean I should create a new account? I'm afraid of doing things right now because I believe anything could stop me from getting in at all -_-. Thanks Microsoft.

You would have to get into your account in order to change this so you would have to find a way to get in.

Hello and Welcome to LTT Forum!

If you are a new member, please read the rules located in "Forum News and Info". Thanks!  :)

Linus Tech Tips Forum Code of Conduct           FAQ           Privacy Policy & Legal Disclaimer

You would have to get into your account in order to change this so you would have to find a way to get in.

I don't know if I made it unclear, but I am in windows on the PC having this issue atm.

Go to your Microosft account (Outlook, Live, Hotmail, etc..) on your web browser.

For example, if your account is a Hotmail one (which is the one you tied your account with your system account), go to Hotmail.com, login.

Once you login, click at the top right, where your name is, then select "Account Settings". From there, you can change yor password. Do so.

Now on your system, be sure it has network activity. At the login screen of 8.1, you'll see a network icon giving you the network status. If you are on wireless, you can click on it, and connect to a wilress network.

Once, done, now try loggin in using the new password you just set.

Go to your Microosft account (Outlook, Live, Hotmail, etc..) on your web browser.

For example, if your account is a Hotmail one (which is the one you tied your account with your system account), go to Hotmail.com, login.

Once you login, click at the top right, where your name is, then select "Account Settings". From there, you can change yor password. Do so.

Now on your system, be sure it has network activity. At the login screen of 8.1, you'll see a network icon giving you the network status. If you are on wireless, you can click on it, and connect to a wilress network.

I don't understand how this will change the PCs password though?! It looks like you are instructing me how to change my microsoft account password (or am I mistaken?)

Hello,

Today I decided to finally upgrade to windows 8.1 and I already regret it. I have some serious issues logging on and the only way to get in is via my Microsoft account. I tried telling the computer what my password is so it automatically logs in however the OS seems too stupid to verify this before. So I restart to check if it worked and it tells me the password is wrong. I log in via Microsoft AGAIN and start with trial and error. This whole story has made me quite frustrated. Any help would be appreciated. Oh and btw, I tried confirming my Microsoft account with the code I received via email but apparently it was wrong... Any help would be greatly appreciated.

You can disable password at login

And my clock is messed up as well. I've set it several times but it lags behind.

You can disable password at login

yes but when I do that and I enter the password the PC is supposed to enter automatically for me, it tells me the PW is wrong upon a PC restart.

yes but when I do that and I enter the password the PC is supposed to enter automatically for me, it tells me the PW is wrong upon a PC restart.

Have you tried a reinstall, reinstalls fix everything :D

It will change your PC password. When you installed Windows 8.1, you were asked to enter a microsoft account you want to TIE with your system account.

-> All Microsoft Modern UI applications that requires logging in (Mail, Calandar, People, XBox Music, Store, etc.), will not ask you to login.

-> If you tie another system with the same microsoft account, you can have your Windows settings, including wireless passwords, in sync between them.

-> SkyDrive will sync your files (inside the SKyDirve folder) between systems using the same Microsoft account.

And my clock is messed up as well. I've set it several times but it lags behind.

What do you mean, "lag behind". Maybe your watch is wrong and Microsoft sync the time correctly?

Have you tried a reinstall, reinstalls fix everything :D

Not going to change anything. He is going to tie again with his Microsoft account, and then he will back to square one, because he doesn't know that you are supposed to put your Microsoft account password.

Have you tried a reinstall, reinstalls fix everyth

All watches in my house agree except the PC. And no it's not a 1 hour delay it's a 0h27 delay. Anyways... I noticed the problem shortly before updating so I suppose it wasn't the update. I also scanned for any viruses before the update and it turned out my PC clean.

<3 I didn't realise that my password was my microsoft password. I thought it would still be the same password from Windows 8. Autologin works now. Thanks for clearing that up. Now the only issue left is the time that is wrong.

Not going to change anything. He is going to tie again with his Microsoft account, and then he will back to square one, because he doesn't know that you are supposed to put your Microsoft account password.

I was hoping he'd use a different account......