GPU passive cooling

Hi everyone, so the other day I got the evga gtx 1060 6gb sc (120w TDP), I thought it was going to be a silent card (my previous one was a msi gaming x, a really silent one). Lucky me found a Prolimatech MK 26 cooler which has a 320w TDP. Would that be enough to run the card without fans while gaming?

Depends on your case airflow. All heatsinks are designed to have some sort of air flow across them, that's how they work.

It'd probably work, if not you could easily buy the quietest fan and run it on the lowest setting for a very noticeable performance increase. 

12 minutes ago, Bolzak said:

Hi everyone, so the other day I got the evga gtx 1060 6gb sc (120w TDP), I thought it was going to be a silent card (my previous one was a msi gaming x, a really silent one). Lucky me found a Prolimatech MK 26 cooler which has a 320w TDP. Would that be enough to run the card without fans while gaming?

It isn't compatible on gpus since the gtx 600 series.

http://www.prolimatech.com/en/products/detail.asp?id=1672&subid=1675#showtab

It is only meant for the 320W tdp when you have to two optional 140mm fans on it.

It will most likely thermal throttle running 100% passive, to put it in perspective, even sub 50W pentiums have a hard time running passively cooled with massive air coolers, but have you tried setting a custom fan curve for the card, at least get them to spin at lower rpms.

•E5-2670 @2.7GHz • Intel DX79SI • EVGA 970 SSC• GSkill Sniper 8Gb ddr3 • Corsair Spec 02 • Corsair RM750 • HyperX 120Gb SSD • Hitachi 2Tb HDD •

4 hours ago, SLAYR said:

It isn't compatible on gpus since the gtx 600 series.

http://www.prolimatech.com/en/products/detail.asp?id=1672&subid=1675#showtab

It is only meant for the 320W tdp when you have to two optional 140mm fans on it.

It will most likely thermal throttle running 100% passive, to put it in perspective, even sub 50W pentiums have a hard time running passively cooled with massive air coolers, but have you tried setting a custom fan curve for the card, at least get them to spin at lower rpms.

thanks man :(

Have you tried adjusting fan speeds?

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

On 12/19/2016 at 6:26 PM, Bolzak said:

It is possible to passive cool high power GPUs but it requires considerable modding.

With 120 watts you should get a away with the cooler from arctic cooling that is flat and expands a lot over the card (forgot name sorry). But don't think about OC and depending on your setup you still need one fan (but a single 90 mm or 120 mm fan on locked low speed is pretty silent).

Mineral oil and 40 kg aluminium heat sinks are a perfect combination: 73 cores and a Titan X, Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Oil