What CPU to buy?

Go to solution Solved by Alec M,

They are all Sandy Bridge, meaning they have the same socket type.

You should be fine to upgrade, but I would make sure that the seller knows exactly what socket their CPU is if you are upgrading a laptop.

I would go with the i7 2760QM, which is probably the best i7 laptop processor released as Sandy Bridge. You can get for ~$50 on ebay, just type it in and set it to price+shipping lowest, and it will be the first one on the list.

I didn't post the eBay link, because I believe it is against community standards.

I hope this helps!

I have an ASUS X55C-WH31 laptop with a i3-2328m running at 2.20 GHz (Sandy Bridge) and built in HD Graphics 3000. I am looking to upgrade the processor. I have been looking at the i5-2540M and i7-2620M. They have the same socket (I believe) and same TDP at 35W but I dont know if they will work in general. Any ideas? Or other cpu's i should look at? Thanks! 

10 minutes ago, Joey Leal said:

I have an ASUS X55C-WH31 laptop with a i3-2328m running at 2.20 GHz (Sandy Bridge) and built in HD Graphics 3000. I am looking to upgrade the processor. I have been looking at the i5-2540M and i7-2620M. They have the same socket (I believe) and same TDP at 35W but I dont know if they will work in general. Any ideas? Or other cpu's i should look at? Thanks! 

What will you be using the PC for?

Can you upgrade that cpu? Or is it soldered in. Most laptops like 98% have soldered in cpus and you can take upgrade those 

Everyone should own a vive.

It honestly depends on what programs that you are using. The i7 has hyperthreading which provides better multitasking, although it costs more. 

1 minute ago, MANIDY inc said:

Can you upgrade that cpu? Or is it soldered in. Most laptops like 98% have soldered in cpus and you can take upgrade those 

You can upgrade the CPU I just checked

You should be fine to upgrade, but I would make sure that the seller knows exactly what socket their CPU is if you are upgrading a laptop.

I would go with the i7 2760QM, which is probably the best i7 laptop processor released as Sandy Bridge. You can get for ~$50 on ebay, just type it in and set it to price+shipping lowest, and it will be the first one on the list.

I didn't post the eBay link, because I believe it is against community standards.

I hope this helps!

22 minutes ago, Alec M said:

I hope this helps!

Thanks for the help! Only problem with the 2760QM is it has a 45w TDP and my stock one is 35w. Thanks!

30 minutes ago, MANIDY inc said:

31 minutes ago, Stevers108 said:

What will you be using the PC for?

Some gaming, lots of large media downloads, and some picture editing. 

1 minute ago, Joey Leal said:

Some gaming, lots of large media downloads, and some picture editing. 

BTW all Sandy Bridge laptop CPUs have Intel HD graphics 3000

7 minutes ago, Joey Leal said:

Thanks for the help! Only problem with the 2760QM is it has a 45w TDP and my stock one is 35w. Thanks!

I put a CPU in my laptop that was 45 watt, when the original was 35.

It works fine, and I've been using it for quite a while.

3 minutes ago, Alec M said:

I put a CPU in my laptop that was 45 watt, when the original was 35.

It works fine, and I've been using it for quite a while.

That makes me feel better. That was my main worry. Appreciate all the help! 

And one more question.. once installed, would i have to update my BIOS to support the i7 or what? Thanks! 

19 minutes ago, Joey Leal said:

And one more question.. once installed, would i have to update my BIOS to support the i7 or what? Thanks! 

I doubt it, I didn't have to do that.

You are lucky, since your heatsink can cover larger CPU dies, unlike mine, where I had to place a small aluminum plate on my CPU.

_MG_5969 (1).JPG