Keyboard Disconnecting and Reconnecting Repeatedly

xwboy

Hi!

I just finished my first PC build and the keyboard I'm using with it is the 1STPLAYER Firerose (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA8GC4MD7222, I have it in white). I'm enjoying typing on it and although the switches are "knock-offs" they feel really similar to genuine Cherry MX Blues. It was working fine when I used it with the 2 laptops in the house, but no matter which USB port I plug it into on my new PC, it just reconnects and disconnects over and over again. The keyboard will stop working for a moment, play the USB disconnect sound, and then resume working. This happens every 3-10 seconds.

I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling the keyboard drivers and using both motherboard and front panel USB ports (2.0, 3.0, and 3.1), but I can't seem to get this problem to stop. It seems like it might be a driver issue but if it is, I don't know how to fix it.

Specs:

Mobo: MSI Z170A Gaming Pro Carbon

Case: Anidees AI Crystal

CPU: i7 6700k

OS: Windows 10 Pro (not yet activated, if that matters)

Any help is appreciated!

Just now, RektSkrubs said:

Maybe it's windows 10 if your other laptops are W7?

Everything is running Windows 10.

Wow what are the chances.. I was just about to post a thread about this very issue.

I've learned that some people are able to solve this problem by going into device manager, find human interface devices, find the keyboard and right click > properties > power management and make sure "allow computer to turn off this device to save power" is unchecked.

Another similar solution was going to settings > system > power and sleep > additional settings, click change plan settings on whatever mode you have selected (should be performance mode) > change advanced power settings, find USB settings and disable selective suspend.

I've tried both of these but none of them worked for me. Still looking for a solution.

EDIT: I heard something about USB 3.0 maybe causing this so I switched my keyboard over to a 2.0 port. It hasn't been long enough to be able to tell whether or not it worked yet but I'll say something if it fails.

i7-4790k | MSI Z97 GAMING-5 | Corsair Vengeance 16 GB | Samsung EVO-850 250GB SSD & WD blue 1 TB HDD | EVGA 1070 SC | Red NZXT H440 | Cooler Master G650W

1 minute ago, Railgun said:

*SNIP*

I've tried the first method with no luck. I'll try the second and report back. Thanks!

I did some more testing and the keyboard works fine when connected to the USB 3.1 Gen 2 port on my motherboard, but using all other ports the problem still happens.

This is kind of a pain as I would've liked to have the 3.1 port available for other uses but oh well. @Railgun if you still need help I'm happy to provide it.

10 minutes ago, xwboy said:

I did some more testing and the keyboard works fine when connected to the USB 3.1 Gen 2 port on my motherboard, but using all other ports the problem still happens.

This is kind of a pain as I would've liked to have the 3.1 port available for other uses but oh well. @Railgun if you still need help I'm happy to provide it.

Thanks m8 I'll let you know

i7-4790k | MSI Z97 GAMING-5 | Corsair Vengeance 16 GB | Samsung EVO-850 250GB SSD & WD blue 1 TB HDD | EVGA 1070 SC | Red NZXT H440 | Cooler Master G650W