Looking for some LED light bulbs for office situations.

AlanAlan

I am looking some LED light bulbs and I don't know which ones better for the situation i cam using it for. Daily I am either using the computer or reading/writing so i want a bulb that is easy on the eye but bright enough. Its for a bedroom fixture. Any suggestions?

there are a wide verity of fittings so you'll have to find one that matches but I can help with the lighting type. You can get different Kelvin of light when looking for LED light bulbs. First you get the usual warm white light which has an orange tint to it and looks more like you'd see from an filament bulb. This kind of light will be easier on the eyes and you will be less prone to eye strain. Although this is most commonly used in house holds, some work places use a cool white as this has a good balance between warm white and daylight white. A cool white is meant to promote alertness and make you feel more awake and is often better for when you are working on a computer as your eyes are used to the similar temperature of the screen and the surrounding room. Daylight white is often used for recording as it is good for the white balance in a camera and often looks brighter than warm white. daylight whit is also very good for waking up the morning as it makes the room look like its in the middle of the day already.

Click for temperature chart: http://www.westinghouselighting.com/color-temperature.aspx  

So all in all, its a personal preference of what you want out of a light bulb. Do you want to make it more of a productive work environment or do you want it more cozy?

My opinion is to go with warm white as it is a bedroom and it may make it easier to read books but its complementary up to you.

There are many places to buy them including online and sometimes it may be better to go with better quality ones as some have been reported to be health hazards (I'm talking about the cheep Chinese ones giving a nasty shock when touched).

For Wattage, anything from 5W and up should be good, as they should say equivalent of (50W for example). I use 4 7W GU10 bulbs in my bedroom and they are warm white. They claim that they are as bright as 70W but I mainly got them because they are dimmable and work with my light switch. They where about £27 for 4 if that helps? 

3 hours ago, spamy666 said:

there are a wide verity of fittings so you'll have to find one that matches but I can help with the lighting type. You can get different Kelvin of light when looking for LED light bulbs. First you get the usual warm white light which has an orange tint to it and looks more like you'd see from an filament bulb. This kind of light will be easier on the eyes and you will be less prone to eye strain. Although this is most commonly used in house holds, some work places use a cool white as this has a good balance between warm white and daylight white. A cool white is meant to promote alertness and make you feel more awake and is often better for when you are working on a computer as your eyes are used to the similar temperature of the screen and the surrounding room. Daylight white is often used for recording as it is good for the white balance in a camera and often looks brighter than warm white. daylight whit is also very good for waking up the morning as it makes the room look like its in the middle of the day already.

Click for temperature chart: http://www.westinghouselighting.com/color-temperature.aspx  

So all in all, its a personal preference of what you want out of a light bulb. Do you want to make it more of a productive work environment or do you want it more cozy?

My opinion is to go with warm white as it is a bedroom and it may make it easier to read books but its complementary up to you.

There are many places to buy them including online and sometimes it may be better to go with better quality ones as some have been reported to be health hazards (I'm talking about the cheep Chinese ones giving a nasty shock when touched).

For Wattage, anything from 5W and up should be good, as they should say equivalent of (50W for example). I use 4 7W GU10 bulbs in my bedroom and they are warm white. They claim that they are as bright as 70W but I mainly got them because they are dimmable and work with my light switch. They where about £27 for 4 if that helps? 

Hey Spamy,

Would this be good for my situation? I will be using the computer and reading/writing for a least two hours a day.

https://www.amazon.com/TIWIN-equivalent-Daylight-General-Purpose/dp/B01G1J8ADM/ref=sr_1_5?s=hi&ie=UTF8&qid=1482160393&sr=1-5&keywords=led%2Blight%2Bbulbs&th=1

will this be considered the "cheap Chinese" kind?

my fixture looks like this

https://www.amazon.com/Designers-Fountain-1257L-ORB-AL-Collection-Ceiling/dp/B00EGPMHEW/ref=pd_lpo_60_tr_t_3?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=CBR032E4V44VJM8K0X3X

Yeah they seem good to me. If a warmer white is what you prefer then go for it. They definitely look like good bulbs to me (looking at some of the reviews also suggest that)

I'm guessing that the light fixture isn't dimmable otherwise this will cause problems? i.e lots of flashing (this happened to me :D)

17 minutes ago, spamy666 said:

Yeah they seem good to me. If a warmer white is what you prefer then go for it. They definitely look like good bulbs to me (looking at some of the reviews also suggest that)

I'm guessing that the light fixture isn't dimmable otherwise this will cause problems? i.e lots of flashing (this happened to me :D)

i don't really need dimmable light bulbs and i couldn't really find any cool white bulbs and I think a warm white maybe easier on the eyes. Daylight white seems to industrial looking at night and i don't really like that. thanks bro.

4 hours ago, spamy666 said:

I hope these last me because I bought some Philips ones that they stopped working in three weeks.

Just now, AlanAlan said:

i don't really need dimmable light bulbs and i couldn't really find any cool white bulbs and I think a warm white maybe easier on the eyes. Daylight white seems to industrial looking at night and i don't really like that. thanks bro.

I agree, daylight white bulbs are too industrial looking. But some people like them so I didn't want to leave them out. Anyway, hope you like them. I who was 17 at the time spent over £50 ($61.86) to replace every bulb in the house with LED because I was fed up with the others breaking and I kinda like this planet, don't want to use more energy than I have to

1 minute ago, spamy666 said:

I agree, daylight white bulbs are too industrial looking. But some people like them so I didn't want to leave them out. Anyway, hope you like them. I who was 17 at the time spent over £50 ($61.86) to replace every bulb in the house with LED because I was fed up with the others breaking and I kinda like this planet, don't want to use more energy than I have to

Companies these days it seems like their products have a set life span. they stop working in an amount of time.

4 minutes ago, AlanAlan said:

I hope these last me because I bought some Philips ones that they stopped working in three weeks.

I hear a few of the Philips ones have been unreliable. Maybe stay away from them.

2 minutes ago, spamy666 said:

I hear a few of the Philips ones have been unreliable. Maybe stay away from them.

ok thanks, i started reading the reviews on the lights bulbs https://www.amazon.com/TIWIN-equivalent-Daylight-General-Purpose/dp/B01G1J8ADM/ref=sr_1_5?s=hi&ie=UTF8&qid=1482160393&sr=1-5&keywords=led%2Blight%2Bbulbs&th=1&tag=linus21-20

they don't seem so good

I am going to look for some better ones.

Going by the reviews Is always good. One or two may be bad but I do see now, yes a fair amount of them are complaining. 

What country do you live in? I found this?

https://www.amazon.com/TaoTronics-Light-Bulbs-Watt-Equivalent/dp/B012CODTUO/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1482163245&sr=8-6&keywords=Led+e26

They are 60W equivalent compaied to the other (100W) but they have good reviews. Not sure if they are for your country though? 

1 minute ago, spamy666 said:

Going by the reviews Is always good. One or two may be bad but I do see now, yes a fair amount of them are complaining. 

What country do you live in? I found this?

https://www.amazon.com/TaoTronics-Light-Bulbs-Watt-Equivalent/dp/B012CODTUO/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1482163245&sr=8-6&keywords=Led+e26

They are 60W equivalent compaied to the other (100W) but they have good reviews. Not sure if they are for your country though? 

Thanks Bro, I will looking through the reviews, they seem pretty good so far.

On 12/17/2016 at 8:56 AM, AlanAlan said:

I am looking some LED light bulbs and I don't know which ones better for the situation i cam using it for. Daily I am either using the computer or reading/writing so i want a bulb that is easy on the eye but bright enough. Its for a bedroom fixture. Any suggestions?

A 40W LED = 60W

Go to Home Depot

21 hours ago, AlanAlan said:

you may need to check your light switch.  IIRC some light switches just aren't compatible with some of the "greener" bulb options which results in stunted life span.

If you have a standard on/off switch those should work just fine, but if your switch has a dimmer, even if you don't use the dimmer function, then you will often have issues.