GPU not overclocking

Cs342

I have a HD 7970 that I overclocked with MSI Afterburner. In GPU-Z the overclock is shown, and the stated overclock speeds are higher than the reference speeds, but when I check the actual graph the speeds are still fixed at the stock speeds and they never go into the overclocked speeds that I applied in Afterburner. I have tried using the overdrive built into Radeon Crimson but it produces the same result. Is there any way to fix this?

Have you tried turning it off and on again?

59 minutes ago, Cs342 said:

I have a R9 280X that I overclocked with MSI Afterburner. In GPU-Z the overclock is shown, and the stated overclock speeds are higher than the reference speeds, but when I check the actual graph the speeds are still fixed at the stock speeds and they never go into the overclocked speeds that I applied in Afterburner. I have tried using the overdrive built into Radeon Crimson but it produces the same result. Is there any way to fix this?

Same. I'm starting to think this is a widespread issue. Everyone needs to check their AMD OC. I've tried everything and it still won't apply my OC settings.

10 hours ago, CDHoward said:

Same. I'm starting to think this is a widespread issue. Everyone needs to check their AMD OC. I've tried everything and it still won't apply my OC settings.

Have you found any solutions yet? I actually believed my card was running at 1100MHz for half a year until I checked GPU-Z and saw it was still running at stock speeds

Nope. No matter what I do, it's running at 1020 core, 1400 memory.

This is very frustrating.

3 hours ago, CDHoward said:

Nope. No matter what I do, it's running at 1020 core, 1400 memory.

This is very frustrating.

Yeah, I just tried uninstalling MSI Afterburner and installing Sapphire Trixx. I applied the same overclock but it still wouldn't run at anything other than stock speeds. I feel like AMD's Crimson software may be messing up the overclock, since I recall my GPU overclocking fine before.

10 minutes ago, Cs342 said:

Yeah, I just tried uninstalling MSI Afterburner and installing Sapphire Trixx. I applied the same overclock but it still wouldn't run at anything other than stock speeds. I feel like AMD's Crimson software may be messing up the overclock, since I recall my GPU overclocking fine before.

I had similar issues with my old 7850. I could really only OC it with the AMD software and if I tried using some third party, MSI AB or whatever it clashed with AMD software settings and didn't work properly.

CPU: i5 6600k @4.5GHz | GPU Zotac Amp! 1070 | RAM: Corsair vengeance 16gb | Storage: Corsair Force LE 240gb +480gb | Case: Corsair Carbide Clear C400 | PSU: Corsair RM650x | Cooler: H110i GTX

46 minutes ago, Constant Failure said:

I had similar issues with my old 7850. I could really only OC it with the AMD software and if I tried using some third party, MSI AB or whatever it clashed with AMD software settings and didn't work properly.

The thing is even the AMD software doesn't work. I hit apply and it seems to apply the overclock, but GPU-Z still shows it running at stock speeds.

GPU problem.PNG

I noticed something similar today. After AMD "ReLive" drivers, it seems msi after burner isn't working anymore, I can't even get my gpu temps to show lol. Also AMD wattman doesn't allow overvoltage... I got around it by settings the voltage in Trixx and then the gpu clocks in wattman manual mode (in last state). What a pain...

CPU: Intel i7 3970X @ 4.7 GHz  (custom loop)   RAM: Kingston 1866 MHz 32GB DDR3   GPU(s): 2x Gigabyte R9 290OC (custom loop)   Motherboard: Asus P9X79   

Case: Fractal Design R3    Cooling loop:  360 mm + 480 mm + 1080 mm,  tripple 5D Vario pump   Storage: 500 GB + 240 GB + 120 GB SSD,  Seagate 4 TB HDD

PSU: Corsair AX860i   Display(s): Asus PB278Q,  Asus VE247H   Input: QPad 5K,  Logitech G710+    Sound: uDAC3 + Philips Fidelio x2

HWBot: http://hwbot.org/user/tame/

1 hour ago, Tam3n said:

I noticed something similar today. After AMD "ReLive" drivers, it seems msi after burner isn't working anymore, I can't even get my gpu temps to show lol. Also AMD wattman doesn't allow overvoltage... I got around it by settings the voltage in Trixx and then the gpu clocks in wattman manual mode (in last state). What a pain...

how can I overclock my GPU then?

On 18/12/2016 at 9:07 AM, Cs342 said:

Bro, one thing we have in common here is that we're both still using the 200 series R9. I wonder if it's related to that. Maybe it's AMD's low-level way of getting people still using the 200 series to upgrade to the 300/400 series. It's pi**ing me off losing all this performance.

23 hours ago, CDHoward said:

Bro, one thing we have in common here is that we're both still using the 200 series R9. I wonder if it's related to that. Maybe it's AMD's low-level way of getting people still using the 200 series to upgrade to the 30/400 series. It's pi**ing me off losing all this performance.

Maybe a clean install of the Radeon Crimson drivers would help, but tbh I'm too lazy to do that

On ‎12‎/‎19‎/‎2016 at 2:06 AM, CDHoward said:

Bro, one thing we have in common here is that we're both still using the 200 series R9. I wonder if it's related to that. Maybe it's AMD's low-level way of getting people still using the 200 series to upgrade to the 30/400 series. It's pi**ing me off losing all this performance.

no the issue is apparent on my XFX R9 380x and from what I read on Reddit even people with the Fury X are having issues overclocking.

before the Relive update i was able to get a 1110mhz core clock and 1600mhz memory clock on stock voltages and with a 100mv overvolt I could have gotten 1200mhz core and 1675mhz memory. Now after Relive I can't get anything past the stock 1040mhz core and 1450 memory clock even with a 200mv overvolt.

10 hours ago, luigi90210 said:

no the issue is apparent on my XFX R9 380x and from what I read on Reddit even people with the Fury X are having issues overclocking.

before the Relive update i was able to get a 1110mhz core clock and 1600mhz memory clock on stock voltages and with a 100mv overvolt I could have gotten 1200mhz core and 1675mhz memory. Now after Relive I can't get anything past the stock 1040mhz core and 1450 memory clock even with a 200mv overvolt.

The thing is, the issue isn't that I can't get past a certain clock speed. It's that no matter what clock speed I set the GPU to, it ends up running at stocks speeds regardless. Even though the overclock is actually applied in Afterburner, the sensor show it as running at stock clock speeds. 

10 hours ago, luigi90210 said:

Wow, your clocks are exactly the same as mine, bro. Same OC I had, and the same as I'm now only able to get.

Have you found a solution? I've tried everything except rolling back drivers, which I don't want to do.

I did have a feeling this issue was quite widespread.

I can feel the loss in performance while playing Star Conflict.

It's doing my head in general anyway, though.

11 minutes ago, Cs342 said:

The thing is, the issue isn't that I can't get past a certain clock speed. It's that no matter what clock speed I set the GPU to, it ends up running at stocks speeds regardless. Even though the overclock is actually applied in Afterburner, the sensor show it as running at stock clock speeds. 

What solutions have you tried so far, man? Is our only path to report it from the Report Issue option in Radeon Crimson, and just live with it?

On 12/18/2016 at 6:44 AM, Tam3n said:

had the same issue . Just download the latest version of afterburner off msi's website

AMD Ryzen R7 1700 (3.8ghz) w/ NH-D14, EVGA RTX 2080 XC (stock), 4*4GB DDR4 3000MT/s RAM, Gigabyte AB350-Gaming-3 MB, CX750M PSU, 1.5TB SDD + 7TB HDD, Phanteks enthoo pro case

11 hours ago, Coaxialgamer said:

had the same issue . Just download the latest version of afterburner off msi's website

That didn't solve anything for me :( I've tried using Strixx as well, it didn't work either.

On 17/12/2016 at 2:38 PM, Cs342 said:

I have a HD 7970 that I overclocked with MSI Afterburner. In GPU-Z the overclock is shown, and the stated overclock speeds are higher than the reference speeds, but when I check the actual graph the speeds are still fixed at the stock speeds and they never go into the overclocked speeds that I applied in Afterburner. I have tried using the overdrive built into Radeon Crimson but it produces the same result. Is there any way to fix this?

I've finally found a solution: Turn off automatic fan in Crimson. Do the render test in GPU-Z and you'll see it'll be going at full OC speed again.

Hang on: There's another issue.

OC clock speeds are now working well, but my fan has to be stuck on one setting now. And, for some reason, MSI custom fan curve isn't working for me.

I wonder if I didn't fit that tiny fan controller from my GPU to my board. I can't remember if it had one or not, and I can't see properly through my case window to find out. Though I could open it up, obviously.

17 hours ago, CDHoward said:

Wow, your clocks are exactly the same as mine, bro. Same OC I had, and the same as I'm now only able to get.

Have you found a solution? I've tried everything except rolling back drivers, which I don't want to do.

I did have a feeling this issue was quite widespread.

I can feel the loss in performance while playing Star Conflict.

It's doing my head in general anyway, though.

i haven't found a solution personally

only think i have heard that works is rolling back drivers which i also dont want to do, from what i read amd changed how the driver functions and that broke compatibility with afterburner and trixx, it also broke custom bioses(so people with the 380/390 to 380x/390x unlock were forced to revert back) iirc

17 hours ago, Cs342 said:

trying to overclock with sapphire trixx or msi afterburner i get that issue but if i try overclocking with wattman the clock speeds will change but i end up with artifacts and driver crashes that were not there before, wattman also has an issue overvolting so i cant overvolt with wattman and when i try overvolting with trixx it seems like it sticks but i still get the same crashes so i dont think its actually doing anything

EDIT i just tried overclocking with wattman again and it looks like im holding stable 1100mhz core and 1600mhz mem with auto voltage, now only if i can figure out how to set a custom fan curve with wattman

On 17/12/2016 at 2:38 PM, Cs342 said:

Final solution: Turn off automatic fan in Crimson, then use GPU-Z render test or whatever to check your OC is now running. Then set up a custom fan profile in Afterburner. Then, go back in Crimson and turn automatic fan speed back on.

This should fix it all. It has for me.