Home and Gaming PC

Fellow Techies,

I hope everyone is doing well as Christmas is just around the corner. I have a dilemma. I want to have a central home pc (for two people mostly), and my gaming pc in one case. My thought is to dual boot Win 7 (a must for my mother and on one ssd) and Win 10 (for gaming only and on another ssd). I will install Office on both solid state drives and have one HDD for games, another for Central files (excel sheets, word docs, etc.), and a third for backups. My dilemma is, I didn't want to get out of Win 10 because my mother wants to edit a document or search something real quick on the web, so I will install Office on both OS'es. However, She will want to check her emails and possibly print an email or attachment. If I am on Win 10 how can I open her emails and print an attachment without rebooting to get into Win 7? How can this be solved? Windows 7 is a must for her as she does not learn new things well, plus having Windows 10 constantly updating and installing crap would annoy her and myself, plus I hate knowing Microsoft is collecting data that is simply none of their d@mn business. Two separate systems is not really wanted only because of cost and space, but I am willing to do it if there is no other way. I am using Win 10 for the upcoming DirectX 12 games. Should I say screw it and stay on Win 7 completely and save my bucks to build a very compact gaming pc in a year or two and re-install my games.

FYI- I already have a gaming pc but it is going to become a central home pc.

If I was unclear on something please let me know and I will be happy to clarify and edit my post. Thank you very much.

Instructions for frustration management:  

1) Sit at desk.   2) Repeatedly slam forehead against desk.

I never said I was smart, just smart enough to be dangerous.

ORLY?

……..'|:::::::,': : : : : : :_„„-: : : : : : : : ~--„_: |'
………|::::::|: : : „--~~'''~~''''''''-„…_..„~''''''''''''¯|
………|:::::,':_„„-|: : :_„---~: : :|''¯¯''''|: ~---„_: ||
……..,~-,_/'': : : |:    ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) : |: : : :|:  ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)): \..|
……../,'-,: : : : : ''-,_______,-'': : : : ''-„_____|
……..\: :|: : : : : : : : : : : : : :„: : : : :-,: : : : : : : ?
………',:': : : : : : : : : : : : :,-'__: : : :_',: : : : ;: ,'
……….'-,-': : : : : :___„-: : :'': : ¯''~~'': ': : ~--|'
………….|: ,: : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : :: :
………….'|: \: : : : : : : : -,„_„„-~~--~--„_: :: |
…………..|: \: : : : : : : : : : : :-------~: : : : : |
You have been visited by the propane god, I tell ya hwat. Repost this on 5 more profiles or Hank Hill will bring the propain.

- credit to, @Cinnabar Sonar

• 2 separate PCs might be a better idea for simultaneous use. 
  • You can roll with Windows 8.1 instead; it's pretty good.
  • What's the total budget? If your mom doesn't want to do a lot with the PC, you can build one for very cheap- like, $175. It'll still be able to handle everything besides gaming; it's basically the $300 gaming build in my signature, but without the GTX 1050 and with an SSD.

i5 12600KF | Zotac RTX 4080 Gaming trinity | Team Vulcan 2x16GB DDR4 3600 | ASRock Z690M-ITX/ac | WD Black SN850x 2TB

Cooler Master NR200P v2 | ID Cooling Zoomflow 280 XT | SeaSonic Focus SGX-750 | Thermalright 2x140mm + 2x120mm aRGB

LG C2 OLED 48" 120hz | Epomaker TH80 (Gateron Yellow) | Logitech MX Master 3 | Koss Porta Pro Comm

2 hours ago, Himommies said:

2 hours ago, Aereldor said:
  • 2 separate PCs might be a better idea for simultaneous use. 
  • You can roll with Windows 8.1 instead; it's pretty good.
  • What's the total budget? If your mom doesn't want to do a lot with the PC, you can build one for very cheap- like, $175. It'll still be able to handle everything besides gaming; it's basically the $300 gaming build in my signature, but without the GTX 1050 and with an SSD.

Maybe I was not clear. Simultaneous use will not be happening. If my mother comes in while I am playing a game (Win 10) or working on school or putting together work bids (Win 7 for school, work, etc.) I/she will need to be able to pull up her emails or websites and work on it without having to reboot. Docs, spreedsheets, pictures, etc. aren't a problem as they are universal via an extra hdd for storage (that is the plan). How can I keep emails and web browsers synced through the two Operating Systems (ie. Junk and Trash are synced between Win 10 and 7 as well as read emails.)? 

She is using an old laptop but she has to print to the laser printer which does not have a LAN port nor wireless, and backups are a bitch. Having a central pc with everything being connected via USB and not losing the wireless inkjet because it changed it's ip address is great. Scanning is a bitch because there is so much emailing an trying to sync dropboxes and bull$h1t!

Basically Nothing will be used simultaneously, but I am trying to keep from rebooting everytime she needs something. Her iphone does the web browsing and reading emails but when work needs to be done... she must be at the computer. I am the same way. I hate writing emails, papers, etc. on my phone. 

500gb ssd for Win 7 (home/work/school OS, purchased)

240gb ssd for Win 10 (games only OS, 1tb purchased for games, ssd purchased)

2tb hdd for pictures, spreedsheets, docs, etc. (Not purchased)

2x 4tb hdd for backups. (Not purchased)

ORLY?

You have been visited by the propane god, I tell ya hwat. Repost this on 5 more profiles or Hank Hill will bring the propain.

8 minutes ago, dual290x said:

Maybe I was not clear. Simultaneous use will not be happening. If my mother comes in while I am playing a game (Win 10) or working on school or putting together work bids (Win 7 for school, work, etc.) I/she will need to be able to pull up her emails or websites and work on it without having to reboot. Docs, spreedsheets, pictures, etc. aren't a problem as they are universal via an extra hdd for storage (that is the plan). How can I keep emails and web browsers synced through the two Operating Systems (ie. Junk and Trash are synced between Win 10 and 7 as well as read emails.)? 

This is why I'm recommending separate computers. Your mom doesn't seem to need to do any heavy lifting like video editing, and I'm fairly sure a $200-$250 computer will suit her needs perfectly. She won't have to reboot or kick you off the computer so she can get to work; she can leave her own computer running. Here- this should be able to handle any general/office-related tasks. It'll also be snappy and capable of multitasking- e.g; having a couple of chrome tabs open, a few Word documents, Microsoft Outlook, a spreadsheet, and a presentation.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Celeron G3900 2.8GHz Dual-Core Processor  ($42.57 @ Jet) 
Motherboard: *ASRock H110M-HDS Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard  ($46.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
Memory: *Avexir Core Series 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory  ($41.88 @ OutletPC) 
Storage: PNY CS1311 240GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($59.99 @ Best Buy) 
Case: Antec SONATA III 500 ATX Mid Tower Case w/500W Power Supply  ($40.98 @ PCM) 
Total: $232.41
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
*Lowest price parts chosen from parametric criteria
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-12-17 00:24 EST-0500

And you can spend the rest of it on a separate PC for yourself, so there's no need to share a system. There won't be any overlap, and you won't have to worry about rebooting either.

i5 12600KF | Zotac RTX 4080 Gaming trinity | Team Vulcan 2x16GB DDR4 3600 | ASRock Z690M-ITX/ac | WD Black SN850x 2TB

Cooler Master NR200P v2 | ID Cooling Zoomflow 280 XT | SeaSonic Focus SGX-750 | Thermalright 2x140mm + 2x120mm aRGB

LG C2 OLED 48" 120hz | Epomaker TH80 (Gateron Yellow) | Logitech MX Master 3 | Koss Porta Pro Comm

8 hours ago, Aereldor said:

This is why I'm recommending separate computers. Your mom doesn't seem to need to do any heavy lifting like video editing, and I'm fairly sure a $200-$250 computer will suit her needs perfectly. She won't have to reboot or kick you off the computer so she can get to work; she can leave her own computer running. Here- this should be able to handle any general/office-related tasks. It'll also be snappy and capable of multitasking- e.g; having a couple of chrome tabs open, a few Word documents, Microsoft Outlook, a spreadsheet, and a presentation.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Celeron G3900 2.8GHz Dual-Core Processor  ($42.57 @ Jet) 
Motherboard: *ASRock H110M-HDS Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard  ($46.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
Memory: *Avexir Core Series 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory  ($41.88 @ OutletPC) 
Storage: PNY CS1311 240GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($59.99 @ Best Buy) 
Case: Antec SONATA III 500 ATX Mid Tower Case w/500W Power Supply  ($40.98 @ PCM) 
Total: $232.41
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
*Lowest price parts chosen from parametric criteria
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-12-17 00:24 EST-0500

And you can spend the rest of it on a separate PC for yourself, so there's no need to share a system. There won't be any overlap, and you won't have to worry about rebooting either.

Well I'd hate to spend money on a new system just to keep from being interrupted maybe once a month. 

I spend most of my time on the Win 7 system during the semesters of school and Win 10 during the summer and holiday breaks and when I'm not working or estimating for jobs.

My current gaming pc that I want to make as a home pc as well is a 4960k, MSI Z97S KRAIT SLI, 8gb of Kingston Fury ram, 1tb hdd, and a 1050 psu, all housed in a roomy Thermaltake Level 10 GT.

ORLY?

51 minutes ago, dual290x said:

Well I'd hate to spend money on a new system just to keep from being interrupted maybe once a month. 

I spend most of my time on the Win 7 system during the semesters of school and Win 10 during the summer and holiday breaks and when I'm not working or estimating for jobs.

My current gaming pc that I want to make as a home pc as well is a 4960k, MSI Z97S KRAIT SLI, 8gb of Kingston Fury ram, 1tb hdd, and a 1050 psu, all housed in a roomy Thermaltake Level 10 GT.

Then what's stopping you from continuing to use that as a Gaming PC and building your mom a new one for $232?

1 hour ago, Aereldor said:

Then what's stopping you from continuing to use that as a Gaming PC and building your mom a new one for $232?

Because she may use it once a month, or sometimes not even that frequently, it really depends on the time of year and what is going on or what we are trying to organize. I would save money in the long run, and my goal is to have one pc in the house as well as keeping tech. problems to a minimum (ie. printers) The biggest hold up is her emails. How can I be able to access her emails in the Win 10 system? If I am booted in the Win 7 system I can log out and she log into her profile. 

Is it possible to have the outlook files on the 2tb hdd that both systems will have access to? There for, which ever OS the pc is on, the Junk folder and Deleted folder etc. will be the same no matter which OS she is on.

I may not have mentioned but I am currently using a Thinkpad T510 and love it but I find it getting bogged down by some of my workloads, if you combine that with trying to get the house onto one pc is the whole reason for this thread.

I certainly do appreciate the pc parts that you put together, please don't think that I don't. :)

ORLY?

I think I found the answer I was looking for. 

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-ecoms/dual-boot-and-email-syncing/20bd52a4-45a2-4c0c-96cf-19ce52de8e11

I do not know a great deal about .PST file. I assume that any outlook [2007 or 2016]  can modify it (move emails to folders, etc.). So no matter which OS I am on, or outlook version, it will be "synced".

ORLY?