Extended partition?

Kevin_Walter

So I have a mysterious "Extended Partition" on one of my drives and I'm not quite sure where it came from or if it's safe to delete. 

Attached a screenshot. Disk 0 is the drive Windows is installed on, Disk 1 is my basic storage drive and where I install games and such, Disk 2 is my Linux drive. 

As you can see on the right, the Windows partition is 224 GBs with 13 free, which is reflected in the partition manager. So I'm not really sure what that Free Space partition is. Since it says that it's free space, and I seem to have no way of accessing it, shouldn't is be safe to delete it and then expand my Windows partition? Because all of the boot and system stuff is obviously on the Windows partition anyway.

The only thing I can think of to explain where this partition came from... is it may be empty space left over from when I had Ubuntu installed on the same drive as Windows. Though it's been a long time since I've done that...

Untitled-1.png

"A picture is starting to form here... I wonder if it's accurate? Some pieces don't quite seem to fit. Or maybe I just don't like the way it looks."

did you ever accidentally shrink the partition size

The geek himself.

13GB of free space shown in This PC is the free space on the C partition.

That green free space in Disk Management is unused space on the physical drive, unpartitioned. You can just extend your Windows partition with that free 73.24GB of available space.

Sounds very likely it is left over from a Linux installation.

HAL9000: AMD Ryzen 9 3900x | Noctua NH-D15 chromax.black | 32 GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 MHz | Asus X570 Prime Pro | ASUS TUF 3080 Ti | 1 TB Samsung 970 Evo Plus + 1 TB Crucial MX500 + 6 TB WD RED | Corsair HX1000 | be quiet Pure Base 500DX | LG 34UM95 34" 3440x1440

Hydrogen server: Intel i3-10100 | Cryorig M9i | 64 GB Crucial Ballistix 3200MHz DDR4 | Gigabyte B560M-DS3H | 33 TB of storage | Fractal Design Define R5 | unRAID 6.9.2

Carbon server: Fujitsu PRIMERGY RX100 S7p | Xeon E3-1230 v2 | 16 GB DDR3 ECC | 60 GB Corsair SSD & 250 GB Samsung 850 Pro | Intel i340-T4 | ESXi 6.5.1

Big Mac cluster: 2x Raspberry Pi 2 Model B | 1x Raspberry Pi 3 Model B | 2x Raspberry Pi 3 Model B+