Corsair VOID Wireless Review

BiscuitMassacre

I recently purchased the Corsair VOID Wireless headset. I got the white variant. I purchased these headset for $70 on Black Friday, but I'd easily be willing to pay up to $120.

For those you don't know, these are "7.1" Full RGB Wireless gaming headset with a mic.

Let me just go on to the first points:

1. Build  & Comfort                   7/10

The build of the headset is really high quality. It is made mostly out of plastic, but it doesn't feel cheap. Most headphones have a problem where the ear pieces break off of the band. Corsair fixes this issue by connecting those earpieces to the band with metal. I feel like I COULD break these, but that is about it. I don't think ANYONE will break these on accident, even by dropping it. 

Both of the earpieces are covered with glossy plastic that overlays the RGB lights. The gloss is easy to layer in finger prints however. The left ear piece has two buttons and a "scroll wheel", but I'll explain what they do late, the buttons feel nice and tactile. The Mic can be angled up and down, but that is it. It can not be adjusted to bend left or right, but that didn't bother me at all. The headset feels great on my head thanks to the nice foam covering the top band. The Wireless functionality is also a huge factor.

I rated it 7/10 for these reasons:

• Because the earpieces don't rotate towards the back, only putting one earpiece on one ear and the other behind your other ear is really uncomfortable compared to other headphones I've used.
  • The Mic can only be adjusted in one angle.
  • This one is a huge problem, The headphones don't really 'fit' on my head. It is just fine if my head is upright, but if I lean forward it feels like it is going to fall off. Luckily it just bends your ears, so you won't break the headset, just your head.
  • The material on the cushions bother some people, but it didn't irritate me personally.
  • The dongle is so large that it can take the space of up to two or more USB slots on your computer.

2. Connection           9/10

It is wireless. That is the huge selling point for this headset. It is awesome, I don't think a lot people get how good wireless is. Being able to walk around your room without taking your headphones off is awesome, but the wireless range is more than just around your room. The range is pretty good, I was able to go through several rooms and walls with no problems... More than enough for headphones that are to be used at your desk. I have no complaints with the actual functionality of the connection. Latency is completely undetectable. 

I rated it 9/10 for these reasons.

• It is not Bluetooth. It has a dongle, and it will not work with most phones.
  • This is a wireless ONLY connection, meaning that you can charge the device while using it, but you will still have to have the wireless dongle.

3. Functionality        9/10

It is pretty smooth. Haven't had any serious hick-ups or anything of that sort. On Windows, all you have to do is plug the dongle in and turn on the headset and you are set. It works straight away. No complaints there. There are two buttons and a "scroll wheel" as I have mentioned. One button is larger than the other and is for the mic. Pressing it will mute your mic, but holding it down for 3 seconds will turn on voice feedback which is awesome. It lets you hear everything that is coming out of the microphone, pretty cool. The littler button, power, only has one function, but Corsair did it right because tapping it doesn't do anything, but holding it down for 3 seconds powers the headset off. That is cool because if you are tapping for the Mic you wont accidentally power off the headset. The "scroll wheel" changes the volume depending on which way you turn it, in case you were wandering, it changes Windows's volume directly. Pushing down on the scroll will change your EQ. The CUE software allows you set up multiple EQs. Depending on how you order them determines their number. So if you want the 3rd EQ from the top, you will simply press it until the voice feedback says "3". 

• Software is a bit buggy. Little things like when connecting the headphones it usually says the mic is off, but it is isn't.

4. RGB          7/10

This is by the far the most disappointing things about the headset. The choices are EXTREMELY limited, not by the hardware, but by the software. I don't even think Corsair tried. It allows you to change to any color with a setting like Breathe, Blink, Beat etc, but that it only allows ONE color. It lets you choose an accurate color from a Color wheel however. The ONLY setting you can choose that allow you to use more than only color is Rainbow. I also noticed a problem with the rainbow: It blinks blue twice! Hopefully Corsair will update their software soon.

5. Battery      8/10

It isn't bad... at all. It just isn't very good. You should last 6-8 hours easy on these headphones from a full charge (with LEDs on), but then you will have to plug them in. And the charger is MicroUSB, which is pretty good and one of the coolest MicroUSB cables I've seen, but it is pretty hard to plug it in while not looking. Good thing is that it does work while plugged in just fine. Bottom line is that if you are willing to charge these things overnight and don't play ALL day, it is great. 

I rated it 8/10 for these reasons.

• Relatively Short life.
  • Non-Reversible MicroUSB.

6. InfoMic      9/10

You're probably wandering what a InfoMic is, but it is really simple. On the Microphone there are two LEDs that give you information about the headset. The first one will pulse Red if the Mic is muted, but go away completely when the turned on. The second one indicates your battery. Flashing Green is somewhere below 50% battery, and flashing red is somewhere below 25%. Works pretty well. 

• You can't rotate the way the LEDs face, so it is almost impossible to see. The only way I could see them is if I put my hand on them and looked at the reflection off my hand. To be fair, I wouldn't want a blinking light in my face.

7. Quality.     ?

I'd assume this is the most important aspect for most people, but I am no where near an Audiophile. From my Kraken Pro '12s, it is NIGHT and DAY. The sound on these are clear, and vibrant. Only lacking in the bass department. It isn't  actually 7.1, but it has Dolby Surround Software. I have actually thought someone was behind before, but not very accurately and noticeably. IT usually just sounds like someone is in the room behind me, yelling. I'd have to get someone else's opinion on that, but as for a gamer who wants to convert to wireless and doesn't listen to a ton of music, I can recommend these. Oh, and the Mic is decent too. Not the best, but for it is just great for group chats.

This is my first review! Rate it a thumbs up if you learned something or enjoyed this review! Asks questions if you have them!

My System:

Intel Core i5-4690k  / Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo Asus Z97-AR MSI Nvidia GeForce GTX 970 100me Corsair Vengeance LP 1600Mhz 2x4GB DDR3 Samsung 850 EVO 250GB / Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM HDD / NZXT S340 EVGA SuperNOVA G1 650W / Windows 10 Home 64 / AOC G2460PQU 1080p 144hz / Corsair VOID Wireless RGB Razer Taipan Laser Razer Blackwidow Ultimate 2014 

My Laptop (Asus X55C-DS31):

Intel Core i3-2370M @ 2.4Ghz 6GB RAM / OCZ ARC100 240GB SSD /

My Phone:

OnePlus Three Graphite Black / 64GB

My Watch:

Moto 360 1st Generation