GTX 1080 FTW Thermal Pads?

Omie

I'm debating whether to purchase the GTX 1080 FTW vs MSI Gaming X.

However, I'm concerned with the thermal pad issue with the GTX 1080 FTW and the new BIOS.

If I order from newegg, does anyone know if the FTW will come with thermal pads installed and the new BIOS update?

Also, is there a way to check if my card will have thermal pads without opening it up once I receive the card? And how is the coil whine on the FTW?

4 minutes ago, Omie said:

I'm debating whether to purchase the GTX 1080 FTW vs MSI Gaming X.

However, I'm concerned with the thermal pad issue with the GTX 1080 FTW and the new BIOS.

If I order from newegg, does anyone know if the FTW will come with thermal pads installed and the new BIOS update?

Also, is there a way to check if my card will have thermal pads without opening it up once I receive the card? And how is the coil whine on the FTW?

All new EVGA ones are sold with the thermal pads, if not you can have them sent out for free, if you break the card replacing them supposedly they'll replace the card as they standby their product. 

Yours faithfully

@Omie By now the issue would've been resolved and all EVGA FTW cards have thermal pads in them (unless you purchase it from a local, unpopular store at the edge of the woods) so you needn't worry. Personally, I'd go for the EVGA FTW card since it has 2x 8-pin connectors compared to the Gaming X's 6+8 pin connectors. This means you'll get a greater overclocking headroom. EVGA also has a great customer service. :) 

My Daily Driver:

Acer Predator Helios 300
»« Intel Core i5-8300H »« 16GB DDR4 RAM »« NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 6 GB »« Silicon Power A60 512 GB M.2 SSD »« 
Toshiba PC L200 1 TB HDD »« Microsoft Windows 10 Home »«

why would you buy a card with problem that's the first question. get a gaming x seriously don't buy things that have problem. evga messed up with FTW card. 

Just now, nerdslayer1 said:

why would you buy a card with problem that's the first question. get a gaming x seriously don't buy things that have problem. evga messed up with FTW card. 

They have resolved the issue, it was just they seemed to have forgotten to assemble the cards with the thermal pads, which in a rush to get a new card on the market can happen. 

Yours faithfully

1 minute ago, nerdslayer1 said:

The issue has been resolved now. They rolled out a new batch of cards with thermal pads in them. :) 

My Daily Driver:

Acer Predator Helios 300
»« Intel Core i5-8300H »« 16GB DDR4 RAM »« NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 6 GB »« Silicon Power A60 512 GB M.2 SSD »« 

Just now, Freezanator said:

The issue has been resolved now. They rolled out a new batch of cards with thermal pads in them. :) 

rather not risk something expensive as 1080. 

2 minutes ago, Freezanator said:

@Omie By now the issue would've been resolved and all EVGA FTW cards have thermal pads in them (unless you purchase it from a local, unpopular store at the edge of the woods) so you needn't worry. Personally, I'd go for the EVGA FTW card since it has 2x 8-pin connectors compared to the Gaming X's 6+8 pin connectors. This means you'll get a greater overclocking headroom. EVGA also has a great customer service. :) 

If I go with the FTW, I'll be ordering it from newegg: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814487245&cm_re=gtx_1080_ftw-_-14-487-245-_-Product

You think they would have the newer versions w/ thermal pads>

1 minute ago, nerdslayer1 said:

Well, the Gaming X was initially my first choice. But it just seems that the FTW is so much more popular and it also has 2x 8-pin connectors which is mainly the only reason I want this card over the Gaming X. But I'm afraid of coil whine on the FTW because I read some reports about it.

Just now, nerdslayer1 said:

rather not risk something expensive as 1080. 

Even if the card breaks, EVGA will definitely honor a replacement. As I said earlier, EVGA has great customer support. :)

My Daily Driver:

Acer Predator Helios 300

Just now, Omie said:

If I go with the FTW, I'll be ordering it from newegg: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814487245&cm_re=gtx_1080_ftw-_-14-487-245-_-Product

I don't think. I know

My Daily Driver:

Acer Predator Helios 300

Just now, Omie said:

Well, the Gaming X was initially my first choice. But it just seems that the FTW is so much more popular and it also has 2x 8-pin connectors which is mainly the only reason I want this card over the Gaming X. But I'm afraid of coil whine on the FTW because I read some reports about it.

FTW is much better card no doubt but risking customer support and your computer is stupid. better safe then sorry

1 minute ago, Freezanator said:

I don't think. I know

Can you tell me how the noise situation is? Like does it have a lot of coil whine? 

1 minute ago, Freezanator said:

Even if the card breaks, EVGA will definitely honor a replacement. As I said earlier, EVGA has great customer support. :)

also each encounter with customer support depends on the person and situation so each case will be different.   

Get the ftw. Way better then msi in all aspects. Msi has stepped their game up but I will always put them at the same level as zotac and pny. 

Main RIg Corsair Air 540, I7 9900k, ASUS ROG Maximus XI Hero, G.Skill Ripjaws 3600 32GB, 3090FE, EVGA 1000G5, Acer Nitro XZ3 2560 x 1440@240hz 

Spare RIg Lian Li O11 AIR MINI, I7 4790K, Asus Maximus VI Extreme, G.Skill Ares 2400 32Gb, EVGA 1080ti, 1080sc 1070sc & 1060 SSC, EVGA 850GA, Acer KG251Q 1920x1080@240hz

8 hours ago, nerdslayer1 said:

FTW is much better card no doubt but risking customer support and your computer is stupid. better safe then sorry

EVGA arguably has the best customer service in the graphics industry, as said before, all of the new cards have the new thermal pads and the bios updates. 

OP, go for the FTW card as it is better in every aspect and if you have an issue, EVGA will handle it.

• CPU: Intel Core i7-6700k @4.3ghz, Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170X Gaming 7, RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB @2400mhz, GPU: Gigabyte GTX 1080 G1 , Case: Corsair 300R, Storage: Samsung 850 EVO 256GB SSD, WD 1TB Black HDD, WD 2TB HDD PSU: Evga SuperNova 750 G2, Display: ASUS VG248QE @144hz, Cooling: Cooler Master V8 GTS, Keyboard: Corsair K95 RGB Platinum, Mouse: Logitech G502 Lightspeed, Sound: Phillips SHP9500 + VModa Boom Pro, Operating System: Windows 10 Pro
  •  

10 hours ago, Festive said:

EVGA arguably has the best customer service in the graphics industry, as said before, all of the new cards have the new thermal pads and the bios updates. 

OP, go for the FTW card as it is better in every aspect and if you have an issue, EVGA will handle it.

risk it or get msi even the best customer support sucks.

11 minutes ago, nerdslayer1 said:

risk it or get msi even the best customer support sucks.

Stop commenting on this thread, I tried to restrain myself this morning but you keep going on spreading false information and your opinion seems full of bias. EVGA saw a problem and they fixed it, no card you buy from a reputable retailer like Amazon, newegg etc. will have the thermal problems anymore. 

• CPU: Intel Core i7-6700k @4.3ghz, Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170X Gaming 7, RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB @2400mhz, GPU: Gigabyte GTX 1080 G1 , Case: Corsair 300R, Storage: Samsung 850 EVO 256GB SSD, WD 1TB Black HDD, WD 2TB HDD PSU: Evga SuperNova 750 G2, Display: ASUS VG248QE @144hz, Cooling: Cooler Master V8 GTS, Keyboard: Corsair K95 RGB Platinum, Mouse: Logitech G502 Lightspeed, Sound: Phillips SHP9500 + VModa Boom Pro, Operating System: Windows 10 Pro
  •  

20 minutes ago, Festive said:

Stop commenting on this thread, I tried to restrain myself this morning but you keep going on spreading false information and your opinion seems full of bias. EVGA saw a problem and they fixed it, no card you buy from a reputable retailer like Amazon, newegg etc. will have the thermal problems anymore. 

Do you know if they ever fixed the issue with the "E" being much brighter than the rest of the letters on the RGB led?

1 hour ago, Festive said:

yup just gonna buy my self a note 7 next to go with my 1080 ftw card. the truth is they screwed up and its not fully confirmed that they fixed it. relying on customer service is stupid unlike you some of us research things and avoid problems. its a good idea to avoid things that have problems to began with and not have to risk being a victim. also i didn't spread false information they messed up by being cheap and they deserve everything they got. defending them won't get you anything if he buys a evga card and something bad happens its going to be his loss. please understand that i really don't care what you think if a company messes up they deserve the hate and you can't guarantee that he will get a new ftw 1080 and not from an old stock.