5820k recommended cooler upgrade

Mornin' folks,

I've been sitting pretty with a 5820k since release day, kept frosty (enough) by a beaten up Corsair H100i. I've never bothered to overclock it, as the 6 cores rolling at 3.3 GHz has always been enough for my needs.

However, I'm migrating cases soon, picking up a Dark Base 900. As such, I'm also probably going to ditch out the old H100i and put in something new. My question to the forums is: Should I pick up a replacement:

Air cooler, currently considering the Dark Rock Pro 3

240/280mm AIO, most likely a Corsair H115i

Or something waaay more extreme, like the EK Predator 360.

And finally, just tidy up the H100i and slap it back in.

The goal of this update in coolers would be to achieve 4.7 GHz (or close) on the 5820k, while maintaining relative silence. The H100i I'm using right now has its fans locked down to 500 RPM as anything higher annoys me. This will be the case for the new CPU cooler.

Cheers o/

@Woddeh As far as air coolers go, I'd suggest you get the CRYORIG H5 Universal, or if you can spend more, get the CRYORIG H5 Ultimate. :) 

EDIT: Forgot the "H5" in CRYORIG H5 Ultimate :P 

My Daily Driver:

Acer Predator Helios 300
»« Intel Core i5-8300H »« 16GB DDR4 RAM »« NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 6 GB »« Silicon Power A60 512 GB M.2 SSD »« 
Toshiba PC L200 1 TB HDD »« Microsoft Windows 10 Home »«

3 minutes ago, Freezanator said:

@Woddeh As far as air coolers go, I'd suggest you get the CRYORIG H5 Universal, or if you can spend more, get the CRYORIG H5 Ultimate. :) 

EDIT: Forgot the "H5" in CRYORIG H5 Ultimate :P 

Zalman CNPS 9500 , nothing beats the ALL COPPER BEAST

money.jpg

RyzenAir : AMD R5 3600 | AsRock AB350M Pro4 | 32gb Aegis DDR4 3000 | GTX 1070 FE | Fractal Design Node 804
RyzenITX : Ryzen 7 1700 | GA-AB350N-Gaming WIFI | 16gb DDR4 2666 | GTX 1060 | Cougar QBX 

PSU Tier list

Cheers folks, but like I said, my goal here is to have something keep a 5820k OC(~4.7GHz) cool while being almost silent, dare I say that the two options here aren't as quiet as some of their competitors? :P

ek predator should do you well you can expand and worry less about other stuff. 

Live your life like a dream.

Where are you shopping/located? Budget?

You should try oc'ing your cpu now if you haven't already to see how good or bad of an oc'er it is.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

@WoodenMarker

Budget is pretty much irrelevant, I'm in a pretty good spot at the moment. I'm from the UK, with no real vendor bias.

I'm confident I can OC it on the current cooler I have, but like I said I run the fans as slow as they'll go and the Corsair 550D(case) I'm using is rather toasty, so it averages about 50c no matter what, in an effort to avoid turning up the fans too high, I'm just going to get a more powerful cooler with a higher cooling capacity so I can remain a silence freak!

20 hours ago, Woddeh said:

@WoodenMarker

Budget is pretty much irrelevant, I'm in a pretty good spot at the moment. I'm from the UK, with no real vendor bias.

I'm confident I can OC it on the current cooler I have, but like I said I run the fans as slow as they'll go and the Corsair 550D(case) I'm using is rather toasty, so it averages about 50c no matter what, in an effort to avoid turning up the fans too high, I'm just going to get a more powerful cooler with a higher cooling capacity so I can remain a silence freak!

You should see how much it takes to get to 4.7ghz before seeing if that's viable in the first place.

Depending on the result, you may need a large AIO for low noise or just a large heatsink an even quieter experience.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.