M.2 setup process

smokeyvandenberg
Go to solution Solved by stealth80,

couple of things to check, my experience is Z97 so some things may differ:

1) PCIE mode needs to be set to m.2

2) Check boot devices and see if UEFI is the first one there

3) remove all other boot devices that "may show"

Okay so I got a Samsung evo 950 pro, it's a 250GB m.2 that I'm trying to run on my asus x99 strix gaming motherboard. It's my first time using m.2 and let's be honest my choice of MB is not the greatest.......

The issue is this,  I installed the m.2 into the slot on the motherboard after disconnecting all other drives and switched on my pc, enter the bios and changed the boot priority to the bootable USB I just created,  everything was going fine until I had to select the drive to install the OS on,  no 950 pro was in sight,  I started googling around and found some setting that needed to be changed... I headed back into the bios after restarting and opened /advanced/boot where I disabled "CSM" or something along that line..... I also went into secure boot and changed it from windows uefi to other o's and cleared the security key...... After doing this windows does not even want to install windows from my usb anymore and only detects the usb as a partition,

I tried a few more time before I preformed a Bios update hoping that this was just some sort of bug, but still the same thing happens. Any ideas why?  or how to fix it?

P's I also just read now that win 8.1 and 10 comes with Nvme drivers pre installed,  I was trying to install win 7 on the machine but wil try win 10 tomorrow

Ryzen Ram Guide

My Project Logs   Iced Blood    Temporal Snow    Temporal Snow Ryzen Refresh

CPU - Ryzen 1700 @ 4Ghz  Motherboard - Gigabyte AX370 Aorus Gaming 5   Ram - 16Gb GSkill Trident Z RGB 3200  GPU - Palit 1080GTX Gamerock Premium  Storage - Samsung XP941 256GB, Crucial MX300 525GB, Seagate Barracuda 1TB   PSU - Fractal Design Newton R3 1000W  Case - INWIN 303 White Display - Asus PG278Q Gsync 144hz 1440P

19 hours ago, stealth80 said:

Hay thanks this helped alot I got it working. I would seem that there is an issue with windows 7 for compatibility. I installed Windows 10 after following your steps and it's running perfectly ?

no problem, glad you got it working

Ryzen Ram Guide

My Project Logs   Iced Blood    Temporal Snow    Temporal Snow Ryzen Refresh

CPU - Ryzen 1700 @ 4Ghz  Motherboard - Gigabyte AX370 Aorus Gaming 5   Ram - 16Gb GSkill Trident Z RGB 3200  GPU - Palit 1080GTX Gamerock Premium  Storage - Samsung XP941 256GB, Crucial MX300 525GB, Seagate Barracuda 1TB   PSU - Fractal Design Newton R3 1000W  Case - INWIN 303 White Display - Asus PG278Q Gsync 144hz 1440P