Will formatting erase lost encypted files?

Go to solution Solved by Teknis,

Yes, But NOT if you tic the fast formatt, and it will only erease it by some degree.

Hello guys,

Long story short, I've tried using an eraser program to erase some encrypted sensitive files I had in duplicates and well... lost them. They aren't showing up anymore and because they were encrypted, the program apparently didn't erase them. Will a format take care of this?

yes

2 minutes ago, Dunkan77 said:

Hello guys,

Long story short, I've tried using an eraser program to erase some encrypted sensitive files I had in duplicates and well... lost them. They aren't showing up anymore and because they were encrypted, the program apparently didn't erase them. Will a format take care of this?

yes

Yes, But NOT if you tic the fast formatt, and it will only erease it by some degree.

If you formatt the drive then store a bunch of junk on it then formatt it again and repeat 7 times you'll be 100% sure nothings left

1 minute ago, Teknis said:

If you formatt the drive then store a bunch of junk on it then formatt it again and repeat 7 times you'll be 100% sure nothings left

But that's like military grade and would not recommend it

Edit: If your file isn't SUPER sensitiv you'll probably be fine by formatting 1 time

Edited by Teknis

A full format, at least if you do it on Windows, is just fast format with thorough error checking at the end. Neither formatting option does any erasing of the data.

If you want to completely erase a disk, you should use a secure erase tool like the one included in CCleaner.

5 hours ago, M.Yurizaki said:

A full format, at least if you do it on Windows, is just fast format with thorough error checking at the end. Neither formatting option does any erasing of the data.

If you want to completely erase a disk, you should use a secure erase tool like the one included in CCleaner.

I'm so glad we have some sort of voice of reason on this forum. Where do people get these ideas for the responses above this one? I can only assume it's a bunch of young people who literally have no idea what they are talking about.

A format erases files... in a way. It deletes the "map" that lets the OS know where the files are. However, those files are still accessible if someone reads the drive bit by bit. 

You need to use a program like CCleaner mentioned above (in the only response worth reading in this thread) to virtually write OVER the files, which provides a measure of security.