7970 not overclocking....

farazahmed
Go to solution Solved by TheNuzziNuzz,

Silicon Lottery. All cards have their limits. That specific card just isn't as good of an overclocker. 75mhz isn't a whole lot off from 1200. Whats the factory clock? Have you increased the voltage/power limit?

Hello everyone.

A few days ago i got a killer deal on a 7970 for 100 dollers and the card is great. Its a XFX 7970 Ghost and with a bit of research i found that it has a good cooler for overclocking and the overclocks can land somewhere around 1200mhz on the core and 1600 on the memory but mine does not wanna go above 1125 core and 1480 memory. Im new to overclocking and im using MSI afterburner to perform my overclocks.

Can someone tell me what im doing wrong here.

Thanks

Silicon Lottery. All cards have their limits. That specific card just isn't as good of an overclocker. 75mhz isn't a whole lot off from 1200. Whats the factory clock? Have you increased the voltage/power limit?

Computers r fun

2 minutes ago, TheNuzziNuzz said:

Yes indeed i have. around 1.10 volts and the power limit in at +20 percent. Can a card be this bad of a overclocker?

3 minutes ago, farazahmed said:

Yes indeed i have. around 1.10 volts and the power limit in at +20 percent. Can a card be this bad of a overclocker?

What is the factory clock/overclock?

Computers r fun

3 minutes ago, TheNuzziNuzz said:

What is the factory clock/overclock?

for some reason mine came at stock. 925 core and 1375 memory

I can almost guarantee that card card was used for some form of bitcoin or cryptocurrency mining. GL with the over clocks.

|Casual Rig| CPU: i5-6600k |MoBo: ROG Gene  |GPU: Asus 670 Direct CU2 |RAM: RipJaws 2400MHz 2x8GB DDR4 |Heatsink: H100i |Boot Drive: Samsung Evo SSD 240GB|Chassis:BitFenix Prodigy |Peripherals| Keyboard:DasKeyboard, Cherry MX Blue Switches,|Mouse: Corsair M40

|Server Specs| CPU: i7-3770k [OC'd @ 4.1GHz] |MoBo: Sabertooth Z77 |RAM: Corsair Vengeance 1600MHz 2x8GB |Boot Drive: Samsung 840 SSD 128GB|Storage Drive: 4 WD 3TB Red Drives Raid 5 |Chassis:Corsair 600t 

5 minutes ago, farazahmed said:

for some reason mine came at stock. 925 core and 1375 memory

It seems that that clock is the stock clock, so you actually got a pretty good overclock.

Computers r fun