First rig ever.

sqnkov

Hello guys,

finally I have decided it's time for me to build a solid desktop machine. I have previously owned 2 desktops which were built by "the tech guy" at the pc store I got them from, then I switched to a business laptop and a bit later I hopped onto a ASUS G75VW, which is still the bomb for me. But, times change as You all know and I need some additional power.

NOTE: I am aiming for a non-clocker build.

So far I have come up with this, I have never ever built a PC before - https://pcpartpicker.com/user/sqnkov/saved/#view=3VsLkL

Budget fluctuates, which means that if I like something.. I will try to make the money for it. (That doesnt mean that I will get a dual 1080 founders build straight away)

BASE ISSUE HERE - THE CASE:

The case for this build that I chose is a Segotep Warship EVO, which is the best I could find for the money - http://www.gearbest.com/computer-cases/pp_281355.html

I already have the monitor, and it is nice. Nothing even close for this price range.

The GPU.. will be added some time later, I've put in a 1080 founders edition just for morale support (but who knows). Maybe some time in 2017.

It is safe to say that I have just a slight idea about what I am doing here. Please share your opinions and advice.

Thank You all in advance!

I'd recommend a WD Blue or Black over the reds.

PC - CPU Ryzen 5 1600 - GPU Power Color Radeon 5700XT- Motherboard Gigabyte GA-AB350 Gaming - RAM 16GB Corsair Vengeance RGB - Storage 525GB Crucial MX300 SSD + 120GB Kingston SSD   PSU Corsair CX750M - Cooling Stock - Case White NZXT S340

Peripherals - Mouse Logitech G502 Wireless - Keyboard Logitech G915 TKL  Headset Razer Kraken Pro V2's - Displays 2x Acer 24" GF246(1080p, 75hz, Freesync) Steering Wheel & Pedals Logitech G29 & Shifter

2 minutes ago, RKRiley said:

I'd recommend a WD Blue or Black over the reds.

Some subtle clarification about the Blue over the Reds?

1 minute ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

Also, id just use the stock cooler if you not getting a k sku. They don't make much heat and will be basically silent, even under max load.

A friend of mine said he has temperature issues with his i7's stock cooler and he recommended I buy an external component.

1 minute ago, sqnkov said:

Some subtle clarification about the Blue over the Reds?

WD Reds are mainly used for NAS's or backup drives etc, I'm not 100% sure on the reason(s), no doubt someone can quote me and tell you :P but blacks/blues are better for everyday use.

PC - CPU Ryzen 5 1600 - GPU Power Color Radeon 5700XT- Motherboard Gigabyte GA-AB350 Gaming - RAM 16GB Corsair Vengeance RGB - Storage 525GB Crucial MX300 SSD + 120GB Kingston SSD   PSU Corsair CX750M - Cooling Stock - Case White NZXT S340

Peripherals - Mouse Logitech G502 Wireless - Keyboard Logitech G915 TKL  Headset Razer Kraken Pro V2's - Displays 2x Acer 24" GF246(1080p, 75hz, Freesync) Steering Wheel & Pedals Logitech G29 & Shifter

WD Black will be your best option regarding HDD. They have faster write times, and you wont be disappointed. As for your CPU, you might as well get the 6700k if you're going 6700. If you ONLY want to game on it and wont be doing any video or 3D shit, you could just as well go with a i5 6600k, which will do the job nicely.

Your CPU cooler needs some fixing. Getting a 212 Evo or anything like that would benefit you a lot.

For your PSU, you DO NOT NEED that much wattage. I run a 6700k with a 1070 on 550W easily with no problems. Corsair CX550M should do you just fine.

If you have the budget, you could get a ASUS Z170 PRO GAMING (if you game, if not go with the normal ASUS Z170), which is such a nice mobo. I will say you did a good job on this build for a first.

And by your text, it seems as though you will run the integrated graphics from the cpu??? If not, please correct me, but that doesn't seem like a good idea to me haha :D

The dream:

Spoiler

Project Malachite (in progress):

CPU: i7 7700k. CPU Cooler: Cryorig A40 Ultimate. Mobo: ASUS Z270-A. RAM: 2x8GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000MHz DDR4. SSD: Samsung 850 Evo 250GB. HDD: Western Digital Blue 1TB. GPU: ASUS Strix 1070. PSU: Corsair CX550M. Case: Phanteks Eclipse p400S

The reality:

Spoiler

Peripherals: Razer Blackwidow Ultimate Stealth 2016, Logitech G502, Turtle Beach 500p. Monitor: LG 24GM77-B 144Hz 1MS TN. 

27 minutes ago, RKRiley said:

WD Reds are mainly used for NAS's or backup drives etc, I'm not 100% sure on the reason(s), no doubt someone can quote me and tell you :P but blacks/blues are better for everyday use.

How is your Crucial MX300 525GB SSD? I'm looking at getting it, so if you can recommend it, that'd be nice :)

The dream:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 7700k. CPU Cooler: Cryorig A40 Ultimate. Mobo: ASUS Z270-A. RAM: 2x8GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000MHz DDR4. SSD: Samsung 850 Evo 250GB. HDD: Western Digital Blue 1TB. GPU: ASUS Strix 1070. PSU: Corsair CX550M. Case: Phanteks Eclipse p400S

The reality:

Spoiler

Peripherals: Razer Blackwidow Ultimate Stealth 2016, Logitech G502, Turtle Beach 500p. Monitor: LG 24GM77-B 144Hz 1MS TN. 

2 minutes ago, MValuableP said:

And by your text, it seems as though you will run the integrated graphics from the cpu??? If not, please correct me, but that doesn't seem like a good idea to me haha :D

Yeah, for starters, until I find a good deal I will be using it without an external GPU because I will be mainly coding this time of the year, and will be getting a good GPU sometime around february or march.

About the cooler , You are referring to this I presume - http://www.coolermaster.com/cooling/cpu-air-cooler/hyper-212-evo/

To say the least, its a bit LESS expensive, how can this be better? Or You are trying to save me money just like the PSU advice?

5 minutes ago, sqnkov said:

Yeah, for starters, until I find a good deal I will be using it without an external GPU because I will be mainly coding this time of the year, and will be getting a good GPU sometime around february or march.

About the cooler , You are referring to this I presume - http://www.coolermaster.com/cooling/cpu-air-cooler/hyper-212-evo/

To say the least, its a bit LESS expensive, how can this be better? Or You are trying to save me money just like the PSU advice?

I see your point. You'll be fine until march then for sure :)

That it the cooler, yes. It is one of the most used coolers out there, and I've never heard of the one you picked (not that I know everything and that it's bad I don't know it), but to get a really good, safe (and cheaper too) option, the Evo is what you want :) Also there are plenty of statistics and tutorials on Overclocking the CPU (if you choose an overclockable one which you haven't right now) with the 212 Evo.

Edit: And hey, if it makes you get the GPU in february and not march the savings were worth am I right :)

The dream:

Spoiler

The reality:

Spoiler

21 minutes ago, MValuableP said:

How is your Crucial MX300 525GB SSD? I'm looking at getting it, so if you can recommend it, that'd be nice :)

At the price I got it for over cyber monday(£80) i can definitely recommend it :P 

on disk benchmarks it gets about 300-350 read/write, so not the fastest, but its still a good drive. 

There are a few issues with your build:

1.  You have a 1920x1080 monitor and want a GTX 1080 to drive it.  Bad choice... you are even talking about dual 1080s for some reason?

2.  You have slow RAM in an expensive build.  Yes it matters, even for gaming.

3.  Why such a cheap case?  Phanteks, NZXT and Fractal Design make the best value cases.

4.  You have a non K i7 6700 but you total build costs what an i7 6700K build would.

Comparative build:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i7-6700K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($329.99 @ SuperBiiz)
CPU Cooler: CRYORIG H7 49.0 CFM CPU Cooler  ($34.88 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: Asus Z170-E ATX LGA1151 Motherboard  ($112.98 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3200 Memory  ($102.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Crucial MX300 525GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($119.00 @ SuperBiiz)
Storage: Hitachi Deskstar 7K2000 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($58.82 @ Amazon)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 8GB Superclocked Gaming ACX 3.0 Video Card  ($629.98 @ B&H)
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA G2 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($89.30 @ OutletPC)
Total: $1477.94
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-12-13 05:44 EST-0500

2 minutes ago, MValuableP said:

Edit: And hey, if it makes you get the GPU in february and not march the savings were worth am I right :)

That might be it. I am not sure about the overclocking stuff tho, I just don't feel safe doing that and I think it is a waste of energy. I guess. And all of the Z/K cost more and I don't know if its worth it.

@stconquest , I wrote that I won't be getting this dual stuff. And I am not sure about all the Z/K stuff either. Is it really worth it. Because this looks like installing custom ROM's to android devices to me - it is possible but it is totally unnecessary for a daily driver (not a overclocking guru).

2 minutes ago, sqnkov said:

That might be it. I am not sure about the overclocking stuff tho, I just don't feel safe doing that and I think it is a waste of energy. I guess. And all of the Z/K cost more and I don't know if its worth it.

When you're in this price range it's definitly worth looking into it

The dream:

Spoiler

The reality:

Spoiler

@stconquest , I wrote that I won't be getting this dual stuff. And I am not sure about all the Z/K stuff either. Is it really worth it. Because this looks like installing custom ROM's to android devices to me - it is possible but it is totally unnecessary for a daily driver (not a overclocking guru).

For the money you are planning to spend, the K-Series CPU is the only smart choice... even if you never overclock.  In five years, when your CPU seems a bit slow all you have to do is watch a few videos and punch in a few numbers and you get a few more years out of the CPU.

There is no danger in running a 6700K, and very little danger when overclocking.

8 minutes ago, stconquest said:

For the money you are planning to spend, the K-Series CPU is the only smart choice... even if you never overclock.  In five years, when your CPU seems a bit slow all you have to do is watch a few videos and punch in a few numbers and you get a few more years out of the CPU.

There is no danger in running a 6700K, and very little danger when overclocking.

And one more thing - is it a problem that I am planning to use this monitor with an 1070 / 1080? Because I thought the main reason for buying a bigger GPU was to get more gwaphicz out of your game (and to comprehend bigger resolutions ofc.).

8 minutes ago, sqnkov said:

And one more thing - is it a problem that I am planning to use this monitor with an 1070 / 1080? Because I thought the main reason for buying a bigger GPU was to get more gwaphicz out of your game (and to comprehend bigger resolutions ofc.).

A GTX 1060 (6GB), or a RX 480 will max out most games at 1080p/60Hz and are under $300.  There is no reason to have a game running a 300FPS on a 60Hz monitor.

The display you have picked is an older TN panel.  IPS is the newer technology and it is pretty standard when you are not tightly constrained by budget.

A 60Hz/IPS/1920x1080 (24") display is around $120 USD:  http://pcpartpicker.com/product/Vbhj4D/aoc-monitor-i2379vhe

http://pcpartpicker.com/product/vW38TW/acer-monitor-r240hybidx

6 minutes ago, stconquest said:

The display you have picked is an older TN panel.  IPS is the newer technology and it is pretty standard when you are not tightly constrained by budget.

Actually it's an AMVA panel and I can confirm that TN is nowhere near this image. I can literally see only blues in a TN after looking at the AMVA for a bit.

Actually it's an AMVA panel and I can confirm that TN is nowhere near this image. I can literally see only blues in a TN after looking at the AMVA for a bit.

You are probably right.  I only looked at the PCPP description.  It says that it is not an IPS, I assumed it was a TN.

IPS is still the way to go.

About the case - I really like the look of that one, reminds me of Darth Vader, and if the outer built-quality is the only concern here, I don't see a reason to invest in a marketing heavy brand like NZXT etc. Does the Segotep that I have mentioned cover all of my componets? If so I really don't see a reason to go for a more expensive rig.

13 minutes ago, sqnkov said:

About the case - I really like the look of that one, reminds me of Darth Vader, and if the outer built-quality is the only concern here, I don't see a reason to invest in a marketing heavy brand like NZXT etc. Does the Segotep that I have mentioned cover all of my componets? If so I really don't see a reason to go for a more expensive rig.

At $99, that is a rip off. 

For $99, you can get much better cases:  http://pcpartpicker.com/product/mn3RsY/phanteks-case-phes614pbk

-Great build quality.

-Grommets.

-Fan hub controller.

Tempered Glass:  http://pcpartpicker.com/product/6v38TW/inwin-303-white-atx-mid-tower-case-303-white

http://pcpartpicker.com/product/K8QRsY/nzxt-ca-s340w-b4-atx-mid-tower-case-ca-s340w-b4

Funky style, with fan hub controller:  http://pcpartpicker.com/product/YwVBD3/nzxt-case-can450ww1

@stconquest are you sure we are talking about the same case?

I am referring to this one @ 48$ from where I live.

4 minutes ago, sqnkov said:

@stconquest are you sure we are talking about the same case?

I am referring to this one @ 48$ from where I live.

Oh, it shows $99 on the link.  It added shipping to my country ($50).

Still a cheap case for a high end build.

http://pcpartpicker.com/product/zV7CmG/phanteks-case-phes515ptg

http://pcpartpicker.com/product/VyKhP6/phanteks-case-phec416pag