shopping for new gfx card

pinkyandthebrain

so I'm shopping for a new gfx card and I come down to gtx 1060 but I have a few questions.

to compare different gtx 1060 with the same vram, do I just look at the base and boost clock and the cost?

or do I have to rely on benchmarks of the card?

looking at these atm

https://www.amazon.ca/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_2?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=gtx+1060

Really boost clock, reviews, and aesthetics are the only differences really when looking at GPUs with the same VRAM and stuff of that nature. All preference

CPU: R5 5800X3D Motherboard - MSI X570 Gaming Plus RAM - 32GB Corsair DDR4 GPU - XFX 7900 XTX 4GB Case - NZXT H5 Flow (White) Storage - 2X 4TB Samsung 990 Pro PSU - Corsair RM100E Cooling - Corsair H100i Elite Capellix Keyboard Corsair K70 (Brown Switches)  Mouse - Corsair Nightsword RGB

I would go with the 6GB one. It has, well 6GB of VRAM, plus 120 more CUDA Cores, and (depending on the company) higher boost clocks. You can get an accurate idea of the differences in real world performance from benchmarks definitely, and I would look at them either way. I think LTT even did a review encompassing both of them a bit ago. Might be called Which Graphics Card to Buy (late) 2016?

Completely misread the question. Ya, for the same VRAM ones, only aesthetics matter, boost clocks are so slight and offer so little real world performance difference, it's near obsolete.

On 12/11/2016 at 4:02 PM, thebrain said:

so I'm shopping for a new gfx card and I come down to gtx 1060 but I have a few questions.

to compare different gtx 1060 with the same vram, do I just look at the base and boost clock and the cost?

or do I have to rely on benchmarks of the card?

looking at these atm

https://www.amazon.ca/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_2?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=gtx+1060

On 12/11/2016 at 4:04 PM, RevoltTrain said:

Really boost clock, reviews, and aesthetics are the only differences really when looking at GPUs with the same VRAM and stuff of that nature. All preference

what he said, also if you know a certain company you like, make sure it not 3 gb tho

i trust asus and i like all of asus's products and aesthetics so i would get the 3 fan card strix vers.

MF UH BEANS

Just now, aries757 said:

what he said, also if you know a certain company you like, make sure it not 3 gb tho

i trust asus and i like all of asus's products and aesthetics so i would get the 3 fan card strix vers.

Asus treated me quite well when I ran a couple of their GPus and had issues, their customer support people are quite helpful

CPU: R5 5800X3D Motherboard - MSI X570 Gaming Plus RAM - 32GB Corsair DDR4 GPU - XFX 7900 XTX 4GB Case - NZXT H5 Flow (White) Storage - 2X 4TB Samsung 990 Pro PSU - Corsair RM100E Cooling - Corsair H100i Elite Capellix Keyboard Corsair K70 (Brown Switches)  Mouse - Corsair Nightsword RGB

On 12/11/2016 at 4:07 PM, RevoltTrain said:

Asus treated me quite well when I ran a couple of their GPus and had issues, their customer support people are quite helpful

ikr, they my favorite company, 

MF UH BEANS

If your getting a 1060 the only the only noticeable diffrence(asssuming where only talking about 6gb cards)is the aesthestics

My life

Just now, RevoltTrain said:

Same here. I am 110% ASUS on most of my parts. Every time I've needed customer support from them, they came through.

On 12/11/2016 at 4:08 PM, Himommies said:

You have never seen EVGAs customer support have you

ey that is opinion my dude, chill out :)

MF UH BEANS

On 12/11/2016 at 4:08 PM, Himommies said:

You have never seen EVGAs customer support have you

and i said company, not customer support, i said ikr as a positive thing to them in general.

MF UH BEANS

Just now, ImperialSteele said:

Same here. I am 110% ASUS on most of my parts. Every time I've needed customer support from them, they came through.

EVGA is also supposed to have phenomenal customer support, they're one of the few other brands I'd trust for buying a product brand new from

1 minute ago, wrathoftheturkey said:

Factory boost clock really doesn't matter since cards are so ridiculously easy to OC, focus on cooling solutions and warranty (why I prefer EVGA)

hello wrathoftheturkey. I'm a nab at computer so I won't be doing any card tinkering at the beginning as you may have known from my other thread about my first build.

my needs are 1080 p gaming gfx card. 60 fps and above slightly is enough because my monitor is 60 hz.

I only picked this because a friend suggested.

know any better bang for the buck ( cdn please ), great performance and $250 cdn max.

edit: also green team please.

You can't not get an RX 480 for $100 less and the same performance.

http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814131706

We have a NEW and GLORIOUSER-ER-ER PSU Tier List Now. (dammit @LukeSavenije stop coming up with new ones)

You can check out the old one that gave joy to so many across the land here

Computer having a hard time powering on? Troubleshoot it with this guide. (Currently looking for suggestions to update it into the context of <current year> and make it its own thread)

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

Mathresolvermajig: Intel Xeon E3 1240 (Sandy Bridge i7 equivalent)

Chillinmachine: Noctua NH-C14S
Framepainting-inator: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2 Hybrid

Attachcorethingy: Gigabyte H61M-S2V-B3

Infoholdstick: Corsair 2x4GB DDR3 1333

Computerarmor: Silverstone RL06 "Lookalike"

Rememberdoogle: 1TB HDD + 120GB TR150 + 240 SSD Plus + 1TB MX500

AdditionalPylons: Phanteks AMP! 550W (based on Seasonic GX-550)

Letterpad: Rosewill Apollo 9100 (Cherry MX Red)

Buttonrodent: Razer Viper Mini + Huion H430P drawing Tablet

Auralnterface: Sennheiser HD 6xx

Liquidrectangles: LG 27UK850-W 4K HDR

7 minutes ago, thebrain said:

edit: also green team please.

Nothing below $300 CAD is good bang for buck on the green team. Need shadowplay? Red Team has it. You even get drivers that don't spy on you.

We have a NEW and GLORIOUSER-ER-ER PSU Tier List Now. (dammit @LukeSavenije stop coming up with new ones)

Computer having a hard time powering on? Troubleshoot it with this guide. (Currently looking for suggestions to update it into the context of <current year> and make it its own thread)

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

3 minutes ago, Energycore said:

Nothing below $300 CAD is good bang for buck on the green team. Need shadowplay? Red Team has it. You even get drivers that don't spy on you.

awh. : c then I guess as close to $300 CAD as possible for the green team. any suggestions. Linus' video,

says 1060 is good. 349.99 cdn right now. banking on x mas week for discount. xD

shadowplay hm. idk. is it good? will it cost a premium? I can use other recorders that i can pirat- cough i mean buy that are equally good?

Just now, thebrain said:

awh. : c then I guess as close to $300 CAD as possible for the green team. any suggestions. Linus' video,

I'm gonna ask you this: Why no red team?

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

1 minute ago, Energycore said:

I'm gonna ask you this: Why no red team?

because I'm a fanboy. idk. I like green and amd isn't my thing. fanboy.

5 minutes ago, thebrain said:

because I'm a fanboy. idk. I like green and amd isn't my thing. fanboy.

You're fine with knowing that you're going to pay a price for said fanboyness? If you want multi-GPU, you'll pay more for a motherboard that can do it on Nvidia than on AMD. Adaptive refresh? $200 more for Nvidia than for AMD. A Graphics card that fits the 4GB Minimum for highest settings in games these days? $50 more than AMD.

The list goes on for a bit. If you're adamant, I would not buy a GTX 1060 3GB, or a 1060 6GB with a terrible cooler, so this is the cheapest that is fine imo.

http://www.ncix.com/detail/zotac-geforce-gtx-1060-amp-86-133558.htm

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

4 minutes ago, Energycore said:

You're fine with knowing that you're going to pay a price for said fanboyness? If you want multi-GPU, you'll pay more for a motherboard that can do it on Nvidia than on AMD. Adaptive refresh? $200 more for Nvidia than for AMD. A Graphics card that fits the 4GB Minimum for highest settings in games these days? $50 more than AMD.

The list goes on for a bit. If you're adamant, I would not buy a GTX 1060 3GB, or a 1060 6GB with a terrible cooler, so this is the cheapest that is fine imo.

http://www.ncix.com/detail/zotac-geforce-gtx-1060-amp-86-133558.htm?affiliateid=7474144&promoid=2152

I was looking at this too.

https://www.amazon.ca/Gigabyte-GeForce-1060-WINDFORCE-GV-N1060WF2OC-6GD/dp/B01JNUO6BG/ref=sr_1_2?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1481500963&sr=1-2&keywords=gtx+1060

does it look good to you?