32GB Dominatir Platinum DDR3 (3333Mhz)(OC issue)

Amer
Go to solution Solved by steffeeh,

The reason why may have been that it was unstable because the CPU wasn't overclocked. Generally you need a stable CPU overclock to get a stable RAM overclock, including XMP.

If you head over to BIOS you should see an XMP setting for the CPU as well (which you probably missed), that will overclock to the recommended CPU frequency set by the XMP profile to keep the RAM settings stable.

However as you were fine for a week or so you probably only need a very light overclock to ensure compability and stability, so the XMP suggestion shouldn't boost that much..

So perhaps +200 MHz on the CPU just to ensure stability should do if you don't feel comfortable with how much the XMP suggests for the CPU - though I would still recommend go with what the XMP suggests is needed, as long as it doesn't go way too high in clock because then you might need to increase the CPU voltage if it's not done automatically, and then it all becomes bit of a different story for warranty and such.

Alternatively you could just set the RAM to a lower frequency as suggested above, perhaps 3000 Mhz for a starter (if it stays stable for more than a week, you could try 3200 MHz and see if it still holds), though if you do this by disabling XMP, you would need to manually edit the RAM voltages and timings, so look up in BIOS what the DRAM voltage and the other previously mentioned voltages are set to, as well as the primary timings.

I can't say for sure, but I believe it should be possible to enable XMP but change the frequency and still keep the other settings... anyone? That would be easier for you.

As you can see RAM clocking and stability isn't that easy of a subject, so you would be better off for now with just disabling the XMP and keep it at 2133 MHz, or 2400 MHz (should work too, though not 100% guaranteed), and do some reading and learning in the meantime and then take a look at this again.

The bottomline however, is that you pretty much don't benefit from high speed RAM at all unless you've overclocked your CPU as the CPU overclock will have the greatest impact on performance.

Though there may be something else than the CPU clock (given that it only errors when rebooting), but it's less likely so try this for now :)

Long text I know, but I was bored.

The XMP profile loaded fine and it overclocked just fine and stayed like that for like a week. Then out of no where when I restarted  my pc I got an over locking error so I disabled the XMP profile and my pc loaded fine.

how come it use to work now it doesn't oc

Cheese

Overclocks of any part can become unstable over time. I'm not 100% sure how RAM overclocks work but if you can try turning it down to 3000mhz

CPU: I5 4590 Motherboard: ASROCK H97 Pro4 Ram: XPG 16gb v2.0 4x4 kit  GPU: Gigabyte GTX 970 PSU: EVGA 550w Supernova G2 Storage: 128 gb Sandisk SSD + 525gb Mx300 SSD Cooling: Be Quiet! Shadow Rock LP Case: Zalman T2 Sound: Logitech Z506 5.1 Mouse: Razer Deathadder Chroma Keyboard: DBPower LED

Is the XMP profile set to 3333 MHz, or did you overclock it to that?

What are the primary RAM timings set to, and what is the DRAM voltage set to?

Have you changed the VTTDDR, VCCIO, and the VCCSA voltages?

Have you done any overclock on the CPU as well, and how much if so?

Asus X99-A w/ BIOS 3402 | Intel i7 5820k OC @4.4GHz 1.28V w/ Noctua NH-U14S | 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 OC @2666MHz 12-14-14-28 | Asus Geforce GTX970 STRIX OC | EVGA 750 G2 750W | Samsung 850 Evo 1 TB | Windows 10 64-bit | Be-Quiet Silent Base 800 w/ Silent Wings | 2x Dell U2414H OC @72Hz w/ Display Port

Don't forget to invest in an Intel Tuning Plan if you're going to overvolt your K/X CPU

11 minutes ago, Moress said:

Overclocks of any part can become unstable over time. I'm not 100% sure how RAM overclocks work but if you can try turning it down to 3000mhz

Wanna hang out with me and people like @Theslsamg, @ Ssoele, @BENTHEREN, @Lanoi, @Whiskers, @_ASSASSIN_, @Looney, @WunderWuffle, and @nsyedhasan. Well.... Check out: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/48484-unofficial-linustechtips-teamschnitzel-server-teamspeak/

6 minutes ago, NuroKnight said:

REALLY?

Uh Yeah? Overclocks become unstable over time, especially the closer to a part's max overclock you get.

CPU: I5 4590 Motherboard: ASROCK H97 Pro4 Ram: XPG 16gb v2.0 4x4 kit  GPU: Gigabyte GTX 970 PSU: EVGA 550w Supernova G2 Storage: 128 gb Sandisk SSD + 525gb Mx300 SSD Cooling: Be Quiet! Shadow Rock LP Case: Zalman T2 Sound: Logitech Z506 5.1 Mouse: Razer Deathadder Chroma Keyboard: DBPower LED

4 minutes ago, Moress said:

Uh Yeah? Overclocks become unstable over time, especially the closer to a part's max overclock you get.

While it's practically true, it's a kinda vague answer :P An overclock doesn't become unstable, since it's then already unstable from the start, and it's only a matter of time until the system will crash. This is why you will se many people performing stress tests of several hours, to avoid having a crash a week later and having to adjust the settings because that one small portion of the architecture couldn't catch up in the end.

Bit off topic though.

Asus X99-A w/ BIOS 3402 | Intel i7 5820k OC @4.4GHz 1.28V w/ Noctua NH-U14S | 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 OC @2666MHz 12-14-14-28 | Asus Geforce GTX970 STRIX OC | EVGA 750 G2 750W | Samsung 850 Evo 1 TB | Windows 10 64-bit | Be-Quiet Silent Base 800 w/ Silent Wings | 2x Dell U2414H OC @72Hz w/ Display Port

Don't forget to invest in an Intel Tuning Plan if you're going to overvolt your K/X CPU

1 hour ago, steffeeh said:

Is the XMP profile set to 3333 MHz, or did you overclock it to that?

What are the primary RAM timings set to, and what is the DRAM voltage set to?

Have you changed the VTTDDR, VCCIO, and the VCCSA voltages?

Have you done any overclock on the CPU as well, and how much if so?

Yes, theXMP profile was set to 3333MHz.

idk what the second question means.

No.

No.

Cheese

The reason why may have been that it was unstable because the CPU wasn't overclocked. Generally you need a stable CPU overclock to get a stable RAM overclock, including XMP.

If you head over to BIOS you should see an XMP setting for the CPU as well (which you probably missed), that will overclock to the recommended CPU frequency set by the XMP profile to keep the RAM settings stable.

However as you were fine for a week or so you probably only need a very light overclock to ensure compability and stability, so the XMP suggestion shouldn't boost that much..

So perhaps +200 MHz on the CPU just to ensure stability should do if you don't feel comfortable with how much the XMP suggests for the CPU - though I would still recommend go with what the XMP suggests is needed, as long as it doesn't go way too high in clock because then you might need to increase the CPU voltage if it's not done automatically, and then it all becomes bit of a different story for warranty and such.

Alternatively you could just set the RAM to a lower frequency as suggested above, perhaps 3000 Mhz for a starter (if it stays stable for more than a week, you could try 3200 MHz and see if it still holds), though if you do this by disabling XMP, you would need to manually edit the RAM voltages and timings, so look up in BIOS what the DRAM voltage and the other previously mentioned voltages are set to, as well as the primary timings.

I can't say for sure, but I believe it should be possible to enable XMP but change the frequency and still keep the other settings... anyone? That would be easier for you.

As you can see RAM clocking and stability isn't that easy of a subject, so you would be better off for now with just disabling the XMP and keep it at 2133 MHz, or 2400 MHz (should work too, though not 100% guaranteed), and do some reading and learning in the meantime and then take a look at this again.

The bottomline however, is that you pretty much don't benefit from high speed RAM at all unless you've overclocked your CPU as the CPU overclock will have the greatest impact on performance.

Though there may be something else than the CPU clock (given that it only errors when rebooting), but it's less likely so try this for now :)

13 hours ago, steffeeh said:

I tried loading up the XMP profile again and it was stable but programs would randomly crash (I'm guessing it was because of the RAM because when I turned off XMP profile nothing crashed). I really don't know how to overclock. This is my first build. I heard Asus Rog Strix x99 came with a program that overclocks automatically for you.(or in the bios not sure). Either way, the RAM said it was 3333MHz I don't get why it's unstable -_-.... I'll try and give your suggestion a go and I'll see what happens. If this doesn't work I'll just keep it at 2133 or whatever it's set as rn :/

Cheese

Don't worry, you're not doomed to use 2133 forever ;) Just keep it for now if the other things doesn't work and you can start fiddling with it later on when you learn stuff on the go. If you want to test things with the RAM I'd recommend stresstesting them to check for stability, just download the trial version of Aida64 and run a stability test on the RAM for an hour or so.

Asus itself has the AI Suite 3 program which allows you to set BIOS settings while in Windows, but it's not recommended to use it for overclocking and such, as it's always best overclock straight from BIOS. On a sidenote though, AI Suite 3 is king for adjusting fan curves!

Since you have an Asus mobo (I too have one) you may have an overall performance setting in the EZ Mode-view in BIOS in the upper right corner. Set it to Asus Optimal, it contains an overclocking preset that is pretty much 100% safe and stable as it's a rather mild overclock, which might get the RAM more stable - unless you want to go with the XMP preset for the CPU of course.

1 minute ago, steffeeh said:

Don't worry, you're not doomed to use 2133 forever ;) Just keep it for now if the other things doesn't work and you can start fiddling with it later on when you learn stuff on the go. If you want to test things with the RAM I'd recommend stresstesting them to check for stability, just download the trial version of Aida64 and run a stability test on the RAM for an hour or so.

Asus itself has the AI Suite 3 program which allows you to set BIOS settings while in Windows, but it's not recommended to use it for overclocking and such, as it's always best overclock straight from BIOS. On a sidenote though, AI Suite 3 is king for adjusting fan curves!

Since you have an Asus mobo (I too have one) you may have an overall performance setting in the EZ Mode-view in BIOS in the upper right corner. Set it to Asus Optimal, it contains an overclocking preset that is pretty much 100% safe and stable as it's a rather mild overclock, which might get the RAM more stable - unless you want to go with the XMP preset for the CPU of course.

Honestly, I really thank you for helping me. I'm currently watching this video; 

and going to use their automated overclocking to overclock the cpu a tad bit more then try and load the xmp profile and give that a go. 

Cheese