Thinking about to upgrade

lachyman

Hey guys,

As the title says, I am thinking about upgrading my GPU. I will have BF4 by my door tomorrow and since I'm a hardcore Battlefielder I will want to play the game at max settings @ 60FPS. I play at 1080p and will probably stay there, or move up to 1440p if that gets cheaper. I will probably be ready to pull the trigger in November. I am choosing between 3 GPU's:

http://geizhals.at/msi-n770-tf-4gd5-oc-twin-frozr-gaming-v282-059r-a975084.html

http://geizhals.at/msi-n780-tf-3gd5-oc-twin-frozr-gaming-v298-002r-a972614.html

http://geizhals.at/gigabyte-geforce-gtx-780-windforce-3x-oc-rev-2-0-gv-n780oc-3gd-a977501.html

If I went with the 770 I would get a second one for SLI soon as possible, if I bought the 780 I'd just leave it that way. Also aestethics are very important to me, where MSI Gaimng has the upperhand.

So here come the questions:

1. (pretty obvious) Which one would you get and why?

2. Should I buy it in November or wait for Christmas sales? (we don't have Black Friday)

3. Or should I stick with my 660 and focus on other parts of the rig?

My rig: CPU: Intel core i5 4670K MoBo: MSI Z87-G45 Gaming RAM: Kingston HyperX Beast 2x4GB 1600mhz CL9 GPU: EVGA GTX780 SC ACX SSD: ADATA Premier Pro SP900 256GBHDD: Western Digital RED 2TB PSU: FSP Aurum CM 750W Case: Cooler Master HAF XM OS: Windows 8 Pro

My Build log, the Snowbird (heavy WIP): http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/188011-snowbird-by-lachy/?hl=snowbird

1. If I were you, from those 3 I would get GTX 780 Gigabyte version, cause it has 3 coolers and is longer than MSI version (I love long cards). Also when if gets obsolete after some years, you can buy another 780 and you'll be fine.

2. I'd buy now, cause Nvidia already lowered prices.

3. No

| CPU: i7 3770k | MOTHERBOARD: MSI Z77A-G45 Gaming | GPU: GTX 770 | RAM: 16GB G.Skill Trident X | PSU: XFX PRO 1050w | STORAGE: SSD 120GB PQI +  6TB HDD | COOLER: Thermaltake: Water 2.0 | CASE: Cooler Master: HAF 912 Plus |

It might be worth getting an AMD card if you want to play battlefield 4. Since the game seems to be more optimized for AMD hardware with Mantle support coming in December.

It might be worth getting an AMD card if you want to play battlefield 4. Since the game seems to be more optimized for AMD hardware with Mantle support coming in December.

AMD doesn't have viable options for me. There is 290X, but it's expensive and has stock cooling. Then there is unreleased 290, that will be weaker than 780 and 280X is an old card with CFX issues for the same price as the 770. I will also OC so a good and silent cooler will be a must. On the lesser extent, I want features like Shadowplay and G-Sync.

My rig: CPU: Intel core i5 4670K MoBo: MSI Z87-G45 Gaming RAM: Kingston HyperX Beast 2x4GB 1600mhz CL9 GPU: EVGA GTX780 SC ACX SSD: ADATA Premier Pro SP900 256GBHDD: Western Digital RED 2TB PSU: FSP Aurum CM 750W Case: Cooler Master HAF XM OS: Windows 8 Pro

My Build log, the Snowbird (heavy WIP): http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/188011-snowbird-by-lachy/?hl=snowbird

[...] 280X is an old card[...]

Wait, did I miss something? If I can recall correctly, the 770 is a rebranded 680 with faster memory. But whatever.

I'd probably save a little more and go for two GTX770 in SLI. A single 770 is enough to play BF4 on Ultra at more than 60FPS and you can imagine how a SLI array will perform. Two 770 should be also enough horsepower for 1440p Ultra. 

phanteks enthoo pro | intel i5 4690k | noctua nh-d14 | msi z97 gaming 5 | 16gb crucial ballistix tactical | msi gtx970 4G OC  | adata sp900

AMD doesn't have viable options for me. There is 290X, but it's expensive and has stock cooling. Then there is unreleased 290, that will be weaker than 780 and 280X is an old card with CFX issues for the same price as the 770. I will also OC so a good and silent cooler will be a must. On the lesser extent, I want features like Shadowplay and G-Sync.

for 280x vs 770, the 280x has more Vram (3gb) unless you get the 4gb 770, but the 280x also has a wider bus so it can actually use the 3gb avaliable..

i personally would go with the 780

The Beast [Case -  Corsair 750D CPU - I5 4670k @ 4.3ghz 1.2V CPU cooler - Hyper 212 evo Mobo - MSI g45 z87 RAM - G.Skill Z series 4*4@1866mhz GPU - Gigabyte windforce 3x r9 290 Storage - SSD, samsung 840 evo 120gb HDD, Western Digital Blue 1tb PSU - SilverStone Strider silver 80+ 750WPeripherals [Monitor - ASUS VS239 IPS 23" Keyboard - Corsair K95 Mouse - Mad Catz RAT 7]

If you're a huge BF player, AMD would be better for your. 

Either wait for the nonreference cards or get a reference card if you'll be doing any water cooling.

If you're a huge BF player, AMD would be better for your. 

Either wait for the nonreference cards or get a reference card if you'll be doing any water cooling.

I don't think so. I prefer things like Shadowplay and G-Sync over Mantle, and all the GPU's can max the game out so I don't really care for more FPS when I can enhance the visuals and record easily. Also cooling with 290 series is a dead end for me - I don't want to wait that long and I won't be doing any watercooling, my case isn't very WC friendly and I don't have money for that.

Go with Nvidia, you will also have nice PhysX :)

| CPU: i7 3770k | MOTHERBOARD: MSI Z77A-G45 Gaming | GPU: GTX 770 | RAM: 16GB G.Skill Trident X | PSU: XFX PRO 1050w | STORAGE: SSD 120GB PQI +  6TB HDD | COOLER: Thermaltake: Water 2.0 | CASE: Cooler Master: HAF 912 Plus |

I don't think so. I prefer things like Shadowplay and G-Sync over Mantle, and all the GPU's can max the game out so I don't really care for more FPS when I can enhance the visuals and record easily. Also cooling with 290 series is a dead end for me - I don't want to wait that long and I won't be doing any watercooling, my case isn't very WC friendly and I don't have money for that.

So wait for the nonreference cards...Again, BF4 is optimized for AMD. That's it. No was around it.

Go with Nvidia, you will also have nice PhysX :)

BF4 doesn't use PhysX...

Sooooo, a 780 for f*cking €350: http://www.it.wecko.at/index.php/component/virtuemart/21988580-detail

:D :D

Anybody here on the forum who bought stuff from there? Is it a good shop?