Quick question.

Can someone please explain the true complexity of developing a script. I'm aware there's different coding languages etc, but say you were to copy all results found on a page, and output them somewhere .txt document, or anywhere on your PC -  then you move to the next page, and keep repeating the process. It's seems in my head relatively easy, but in reality due to my inexperience I have no idea.

How hard is something like this? Kinda-vague question, but hopefully atleast one of you gets the idea.

It depends on a lot of things, for the example you gave the biggest "problem" would be finding the correct libraries and learning how to implement them. Depending on the website, there may be more hurdles due to its layout. It wouldn't be "hard" as much as it would be a bit tedious.

Scripting is just a form of programming, it's all about knowing how to communicate to the computer what you want it to do.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

28 minutes ago, Sauron said:

It depends on a lot of things, for the example you gave the biggest "problem" would be finding the correct libraries and learning how to implement them. Depending on the website, there may be more hurdles due to its layout. It wouldn't be "hard" as much as it would be a bit tedious.

Scripting is just a form of programming, it's all about knowing how to communicate to the computer what you want it to do.

Thanks for the answer. I'm talking about a simple CTRL+A and CTRL+C

Highlight all text, copy all text, past all text to [X] destination on my PC or online (if possible).

I literally think I could do a GhostMouse recording of my myself performing the action once, and looping it. But that's kinda Low Quality, and I'm not sure if it's reliable. I understand potential hurdles to the layout, but it'd be something like this.

Here's an example webpage:

http://www.neopets.com/gamescores.phtml?game_id=987

note: It's not anything gaming related, however it's related to a "High Score". 

55 minutes ago, PCHelp2015 said:

Thanks for the answer. I'm talking about a simple CTRL+A and CTRL+C

Highlight all text, copy all text, past all text to [X] destination on my PC or online (if possible).

I literally think I could do a GhostMouse recording of my myself performing the action once, and looping it. But that's kinda Low Quality, and I'm not sure if it's reliable. I understand potential hurdles to the layout, but it'd be something like this.

Here's an example webpage:

http://www.neopets.com/gamescores.phtml?game_id=987

note: It's not anything gaming related, however it's related to a "High Score". 

Are you on windows or something else?

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

5 minutes ago, Sauron said:

Are you on windows or something else?

Windows.

4 minutes ago, PCHelp2015 said:

Windows.

You should probably use python for something like this, read this page: http://docs.python-guide.org/en/latest/scenarios/scrape/ to have an idea of what you should be looking at.

However be aware that the site you linked is quite complex - even though it may not seem like it. A wikipedia page would be a simpler target to start from.

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

11 minutes ago, Sauron said:

You should probably use python for something like this, read this page: http://docs.python-guide.org/en/latest/scenarios/scrape/ to have an idea of what you should be looking at.

However be aware that the site you linked is quite complex - even though it may not seem like it. A wikipedia page would be a simpler target to start from.

Based on a quick judgement, you think this would be easy to do? Are there any people on this forum who'd do this for $$$?

1 minute ago, PCHelp2015 said:

Based on a quick judgement, you think this would be easy to do? Are there any people on this forum who'd do this for $$$?

Well, it would probably take some experience in python (or another scripting language) and a few days, or a lot of research and a few weeks.

This forum is probably the wrong place to look for programmers for hire, those who do it for a living already have a job and don't generally take side projects like this - the others are either still learning or doing it as a hobby, which means they are not particularly reliable.

sudo chmod -R 000 /*