DRIVERS question

What are drivers? Cant you just install a graphics card without drivers? What happens if you don't install the drivers? Can some drivers only specifically install in some operating systems, for example some might not support windows 7 ?

Drivers tell the OS how to properly use the GPU. You can install a graphics card without drivers but games/programs/Windows might act wierd and cause problems. Usually one set of drivers will support Windows in general but depending on the type of driver it might be OS specific

1 minute ago, SCGazelle said:

Drivers tell the OS how to properly use the GPU. You can install a graphics card without drivers but games/programs/Windows might act wierd and cause problems. Usually one set of drivers will support Windows in general but depending on the type of driver it might be OS specific

are drivers just for gpus? i've seen drivers for other things i think

5 minutes ago, echy said:

are drivers just for gpus? i've seen drivers for other things i think

There are drivers for almost any hardware that the OS has to deal with. Windows has generic drivers for most of the simple ones like storage and monitors but motherboards, graphics cards, wifi cards all have speciallized drivers usually.

drivers are a generic term for software specifically designed for microchips eg. gpu,wireless northbridge etc

windows comes with generic drivers for most chips and will work them but for full functionality get drivers from chip makers website for full functionallity

With simple analogy: Driver is piece of software which tells OS how to use hardware. Its like paper manual which tells you how to use TV.

All hardware pieces need their drivers. But OS might have generic version for basic stuff like USB2 ports. For all Windows before 10, most important drivers for gaming PC are GPU, chipset, LAN and audio. Win10 works more like Linux systems. It is more capable to search for proper driver itself, rather than needing you to show it which drivers are correct ones.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv