Auto encode video files and delete source?

Gershy13

I know LMG does a similar thing, but was wondering if anyone can help me with this.

I record video on my Canon 650d, and its uploaded using eos utility to my computer in subfolders with the date shot. so in my case M:/Pictures/20xx_xx_xx But canon records in mov mjpeg. so i was wondering if there was a program that encodes into my selected format (h264 mp4) with a bitrate that i can set. and auto deletes the source files after a certain amount of time (or after being processed). I want all the newly encoded files to stay in their source directory, and the original files to be deleted. Adobe media encoder has a similar feature, but it wont delete the files, and wont place the encoded files in the original directory.

Thanks

Gershy13

CPU: Ryzen 7 5800x + H150i Elite LCD     

RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB DDR4 3600MHz CL16

Motherboard: Gigabyte X570 Aorus Pro

GPU: MSI RTX 3070 Ventus 3X OC       

SSD 1: Corsair MP600 1tb (Windows)      

SSD 2: Samsung 840 EVO 120gb (Scratch Drive)   

SSD 3: Samsung 860 EVO 250gb

HDD 1: WD Blue 1TB

HDD 2: Seagate Barracuda 2TB

Case: NZXT H710

PSU: Corsair TX750M

Mouse: Lamzu Atlantis Pro Mini 4khz

Keyboard: Akko 5075B Plus

handbreak will do the encoding into source I don't know that it will delete after.

¸„»°'´¸„»°'´ Vorticalbox `'°«„¸`'°«„¸
`'°«„¸¸„»°'´¸„»°'´`'°«„¸Scientia Potentia est  ¸„»°'´`'°«„¸`'°«„¸¸„»°'´

1 minute ago, YoungProgrammer said:

Not sure about the program you are using (clarification). From memory, AME has a setting to delete source. Several programs do. Have a poke about in the settings.

i was talking about ame. i had a look and couldnt find anything in the settings. it apparently just moves the file to somewhere.

2 minutes ago, vorticalbox said:

handbreak will do the encoding into source I don't know that it will delete after.

handbrake doesnt do it automatically, you have to add to queue

Canon 650D uses h.264 not mjpeg

You could write a simple .cmd file or PowerShell script in combination with ffmpeg

8 minutes ago, vorticalbox said:

3 minutes ago, .spider. said:

Canon 650D uses h.264 not mjpeg

You could write a simple .cmd file or PowerShell script in combination with ffmpeg

ohh damn, i didnt realise. why is it so sucky to play?

im not really comfortable with writing scripts or anything

Just now, Naeaes said:

Handbreak takes command line parameters. You can write a script to do the settings and moving files around and deleting and what not.

im not really comfortable with writing scripts or anything. Also handbrake doesnt give me the control i want.

17 minutes ago, Gershy13 said:

I know LMG does a similar thing, but was wondering if anyone can help me with this.

I record video on my Canon 650d, and its uploaded using eos utility to my computer in subfolders with the date shot. so in my case M:/Pictures/20xx_xx_xx But canon records in mov mjpeg. so i was wondering if there was a program that encodes into my selected format (h264 mp4) with a bitrate that i can set. and auto deletes the source files after a certain amount of time (or after being processed). I want all the newly encoded files to stay in their source directory, and the original files to be deleted. Adobe media encoder has a similar feature, but it wont delete the files, and wont place the encoded files in the original directory.

Thanks

Gershy13

What you need is Adobe Prelude or some other ingestion software.  If you use Prelude you don't even need to copy files from the memory card to your storage drive first.

• Open Prelude, create a project for your files
  • Insert your memory card to the card reader
  • Click ingest in Prelude, select the memory card as the source
  • On the right hand side of the ingest window, set your destination folder and transcode settings
  • Done.

Prelude will ingest the files from the memory card and transcode them for you to whatever codec you want, e.g. H264.

That is not dead which can eternal lie.  And with strange aeons even death may die. - The Call of Cthulhu

A university is not a "safe space". If you need a safe space, leave, go home, hug your teddy & suck your thumb until ready for university.  - Richard Dawkins

6 minutes ago, Gershy13 said:

Thanks

Gershy13

You can place the encoded files where ever you want them to go. If you want a system-wide folder for the transcoded footage you can set that in Settings, under the General tab. Under 'Output' there is a checkbox to 'Specify output file destination.' Or for specific files, click the 'output file' link in the main screen and then you can choose where you want it to go. Or, you can select multiple files in the queue and change the destination the same way. I can't figure out how to get it to delete after it's done encoding though. If you have it transcode to the same source folder, once it's done just sort by file type or date modified and just mass delete the old stuff. Or have a separate imported folder and a separate transcoded folder. Then you can just delete the original folder.

1 minute ago, Gershy13 said:

ohh damn, i didnt realise. why is it so sucky to play?

What do you mean play? Playback in Premiere, VLC, WMP is sucky? If it's Premiere, double check your CUDA acceleration is enabled. If it's VLC, VLC kind of sucks with some raw camera video. It would stutter and break up all the time with my raw AVCHD video from my GH2 (1080p at 24fps and 720p at 60fps); but Windows Media Player plays it back fine. If play back is choppy/sucky all around, you may have an issue elsewhere. H.264 is relatively CPU intensive when it comes to decoding (playback) and it also requires a bit more data throughput; however you rig should be plenty powerful for the task. I see you have a hackintosh, that may be an issue as well; I don't know hackintosh stuff very well.

2 minutes ago, Omon_Ra said:

You can place the encoded files where ever you want them to go. If you want a system-wide folder for the transcoded footage you can set that in Settings, under the General tab. Under 'Output' there is a checkbox to 'Specify output file destination.' Or for specific files, click the 'output file' link in the main screen and then you can choose where you want it to go. Or, you can select multiple files in the queue and change the destination the same way. I can't figure out how to get it to delete after it's done encoding though. If you have it transcode to the same source folder, once it's done just sort by file type or date modified and just mass delete the old stuff. Or have a separate imported folder and a separate transcoded folder. Then you can just delete the original folder.

What do you mean play? Playback in Premiere, VLC, WMP is sucky? If it's Premiere, double check your CUDA acceleration is enabled. If it's VLC, VLC kind of sucks with some raw camera video. It would stutter and break up all the time with my raw AVCHD video from my GH2 (1080p at 24fps and 720p at 60fps); but Windows Media Player plays it back fine. If play back is choppy/sucky all around, you may have an issue elsewhere. H.264 is relatively CPU intensive when it comes to decoding (playback) and it also requires a bit more data throughput; however you rig should be plenty powerful for the task. I see you have a hackintosh, that may be an issue as well; I don't know hackintosh stuff very well.

thanks, i think ill go the prelude way, or the ame and delete manually way.

i mean it sucks if i stream it over the network (yet movies with much higher bitrates play fine). locally its fine, its not fcpx or dnxhd style smooth in premiere, but it does the job.

5 minutes ago, AkiraDaarkst said:

What you need is Adobe Prelude or some other ingestion software.  If you use Prelude you don't even need to copy files from the memory card to your storage drive first.

• Open Prelude, create a project for your files
  • Insert your memory card to the card reader
  • Click ingest in Prelude, select the memory card as the source
  • On the right hand side of the ingest window, set your destination folder and transcode settings
  • Done.

Prelude will ingest the files from the memory card and transcode them for you to whatever codec you want, e.g. H264.

thanks, thats the best idea so far. does prelude allow for a preset and automating when it sees the drive? so when i plug in my card it auto starts ingesting?

8 minutes ago, Gershy13 said:

thanks, thats the best idea so far. does prelude allow for a preset and automating when it sees the drive? so when i plug in my card it auto starts ingesting?

I don't think Prelude has a "Auto do something with watched folder or drive" feature.  But it remembers the settings you used for the project.

That is not dead which can eternal lie.  And with strange aeons even death may die. - The Call of Cthulhu

A university is not a "safe space". If you need a safe space, leave, go home, hug your teddy & suck your thumb until ready for university.  - Richard Dawkins

2 minutes ago, AkiraDaarkst said:

I don't think Prelude has a "Auto do something with watched folder or drive" feature.  But it remembers the settings you used for the project.

damn, that would be a killer feature.

16 minutes ago, Omon_Ra said:

Yep, VLC is OK with a lot of things but I can't use it to watch the master clips from my cinema camera while MPC-HC plays them smoothly.  VLC stutters a lot.

4 minutes ago, Gershy13 said:

damn, that would be a killer feature.

Man, it's just a couple of clicks.

EDIT: and frankly I rather have it done manually.  Sometimes I am filming the same scene several times because my talent makes mistakes with her lines and want to do over.  In Prelude, before I start the ingest process I'll manually select the clips I want from the memory card instead of selecting everything and having the stuff I want to discard take up storage space.

3 minutes ago, AkiraDaarkst said:

Yep, VLC is OK with a lot of things but I can't use it to watch the master clips from my cinema camera while MPC-HC plays them smoothly.  VLC stutters a lot.

huh. vlc seems to work fine for me, other than artifacting sometimes when it cant play a file. never stutters though.

3 minutes ago, AkiraDaarkst said:

Man, it's just a couple of clicks.

true, but it would be nice if it does it automatically...

10 minutes ago, Gershy13 said:

thanks, i think ill go the prelude way, or the ame and delete manually way.

i mean it sucks if i stream it over the network (yet movies with much higher bitrates play fine). locally its fine, its not fcpx or dnxhd style smooth in premiere, but it does the job.

I honestly completely forgot about Prelude..I haven't used it in a while, but that's exactly what you want. And it's not going to have a watch folder type of thing because that's not really what it's meant for. And you really wouldn't want to have Prelude, or even Media Encoder, open all the time just waiting for stuff anyways unless it's on a dedicated ingest rig/server.

For your weird playback in Premiere, try reducing the playback resolution and see if that helps. And double check you have CUDA acceleration enabled. Honestly, I think it may have something to do with your computer. There's no reason Premiere should be playing back raw 1080p files with any hiccups (minus the whole VLC thing) with a build like yours. If you're using Adobe's suite, why not just use Windows? From what I understand, it is better optimized for PC than Mac now anyways.

5 minutes ago, Gershy13 said:

huh. vlc seems to work fine for me, other than artifacting sometimes when it cant play a file. never stutters though.

Canon 650D doesn't record in a high bit rate codec.  My cinema camera does and up to 4K60p.  I'm talking about VLC on Windows.  VLC on my MacBook Pro can handle the same video files just fine, and my Windows workstation is at least 3 times more powerful than the MacBook.

4 minutes ago, Gershy13 said:

true, but it would be nice if it does it automatically...

I rather have it done manually.  Sometimes I am filming the same scene several times because my talent makes mistakes with her lines and want to do over.  In Prelude, before I start the ingest process I'll manually select the clips I want from the memory card instead of selecting everything and having the stuff I want to discard take up storage space.

6 minutes ago, AkiraDaarkst said:

Canon 650D doesn't record in a high bit rate codec.  My cinema camera does and up to 4K60p.  I'm talking about VLC on Windows.  VLC on my MacBook Pro can handle the same video files just fine, and my Windows workstation is at least 3 times more powerful than the MacBook.

I rather have it done manually.  Sometimes I am filming the same scene several times because my talent makes mistakes with her lines and want to do over.  In Prelude, before I start the ingest process I'll manually select the clips I want from the memory card instead of selecting everything and having the stuff I want to discard take up storage space.

magic lantern increases the bitrate. yes its nothing like 4k60, but it does the job.

well, i like to keep the bad shots, because i do comedy skits, so i like to have them for bloopers.

23 minutes ago, Omon_Ra said:

There's no reason Premiere should be playing back raw 1080p files

raw as in Cinema DNG RAW or other video RAW files?  Premiere has some issues with video RAW files and while it may play back smoothly right after loading the clip into the sequence's timeline, it will likely start stuttering after adding some basic color correction/grading, noise reduction, sharpening, or other effects.  I have a rig that's at least twice the power of the OP's rig (looking at his sig) and it struggles with RAW video in Premiere after adding effects.  Of course I'm talking about previewing at full res, if I drop the res to 1/4 or less it improves but still stutters sometimes.

1 hour ago, AkiraDaarkst said:

raw as in Cinema DNG RAW or other video RAW files?  Premiere has some issues with video RAW files and while it may play back smoothly right after loading the clip into the sequence's timeline, it will likely start stuttering after adding some basic color correction/grading, noise reduction, sharpening, or other effects.  I have a rig that's at least twice the power of the OP's rig (looking at his sig) and it struggles with RAW video in Premiere after adding effects.  Of course I'm talking about previewing at full res, if I drop the res to 1/4 or less it improves but still stutters sometimes.

Oh, I meant raw as in straight from the camera; I thought it was implied he wasn't shooting RAW files with his setup. And yeah, my rig will struggle with my hacked GH2 footage only when I start stacking a bunch of effects and don't bother rendering or reducing the resolution. But even when I was editing on my laptop (Samsung QX410) and the footage was on external USB2.0 HDD's, it could still playback footage straight from the camera 1080p/24fps or 720p/60fps footage just fine in Premiere; which is why I suspect there may be things at play more than just needing a transcode to get smooth playback.

50 minutes ago, Omon_Ra said:

Oh, I meant raw as in straight from the camera; I thought it was implied he wasn't shooting RAW files with his setup. And yeah, my rig will struggle with my hacked GH2 footage only when I start stacking a bunch of effects and don't bother rendering or reducing the resolution. But even when I was editing on my laptop (Samsung QX410) and the footage was on external USB2.0 HDD's, it could still playback footage straight from the camera 1080p/24fps or 720p/60fps footage just fine in Premiere; which is why I suspect there may be things at play more than just needing a transcode to get smooth playback.

These are my observations about Adobe Premiere/After Effects and somewhat Media Encoder in regards to computer configuration:

• Get minimum 16GB of system memory, 32GB would be better, and if you can afford it go as high as you can.
  • At least 4GB of VRAM, 8GB would seem a bit more ideal but again if you can afford it go as high as you can.
  • CPU: number of cores vs clock speed:
    • Minimum 4 cores is a must
    • After about 8 cores, the amount of return for investment sort of diminishes.
    • Try to get the fastest or highest clock speeds possible.
    • So in essence when selecting a CPU try to balance out number of cores vs clock speed.  Don't pick something like an 8 core 2GHz CPU over a 4 core 4GHz CPU.
  • Having fast HDDs or SSDs help.  Have one HDD/SSD dedicated just for OS and applications.  Put video files, project files and other resources related to the project on secondary and tertiary drives.

While a lot of us do not really see that much GPU usage during rendering, you will see GPU usage along with both VRAM and system RAM usage spike a lot during editing (previews and rendering of applied effects during previews).  CPU usage will mostly remain high in both editing and rendering.

I wish Adobe would update more of the integrated effects to utilize GPU acceleration.  That would probably speed things up a bit.  And overall improve utilization of GPU processing power.

A note about people who say that Final Cut performs better on a Mac due to utilizing QuickSync.  I've read somewhere (can't remember the source and will look for it) that the reason why Adobe doesn't use QS is because of quality issues.  The article/discussion I read said that Adobe feels that QS is sort of "quick and dirty" at getting something done and therefore has some (though I assume very minor) risks that it could do something wrong.  As I said, I don't remember where I read this so I'm stating this from memory and I could be misquoting the article/discussion.

15 hours ago, AkiraDaarkst said:

These are my observations about Adobe Premiere/After Effects and somewhat Media Encoder in regards to computer configuration:

• Get minimum 16GB of system memory, 32GB would be better, and if you can afford it go as high as you can.
  • At least 4GB of VRAM, 8GB would seem a bit more ideal but again if you can afford it go as high as you can.
  • CPU: number of cores vs clock speed:
    • Minimum 4 cores is a must
    • After about 8 cores, the amount of return for investment sort of diminishes.
    • Try to get the fastest or highest clock speeds possible.
    • So in essence when selecting a CPU try to balance out number of cores vs clock speed.  Don't pick something like an 8 core 2GHz CPU over a 4 core 4GHz CPU.
  • Having fast HDDs or SSDs help.  Have one HDD/SSD dedicated just for OS and applications.  Put video files, project files and other resources related to the project on secondary and tertiary drives.

While a lot of us do not really see that much GPU usage during rendering, you will see GPU usage along with both VRAM and system RAM usage spike a lot during editing (previews and rendering of applied effects during previews).  CPU usage will mostly remain high in both editing and rendering.

I wish Adobe would update more of the integrated effects to utilize GPU acceleration.  That would probably speed things up a bit.  And overall improve utilization of GPU processing power.

A note about people who say that Final Cut performs better on a Mac due to utilizing QuickSync.  I've read somewhere (can't remember the source and will look for it) that the reason why Adobe doesn't use QS is because of quality issues.  The article/discussion I read said that Adobe feels that QS is sort of "quick and dirty" at getting something done and therefore has some (though I assume very minor) risks that it could do something wrong.  As I said, I don't remember where I read this so I'm stating this from memory and I could be misquoting the article/discussion.

Thank you very much for this. i need it.

i currently have 8gb of ram (2x4gb), im thinking of upgrading to 16gb with another 1x8gb. And then maybe in the future ill go to 24gb if i need it.

My GPU is only 2gb, but most of the things i do dont utilize it very much.

i have a 4670k, running at stock. Should i try and overclock it? It stays at 70ish C° with my Hyper 212 EVO at load (thats a bit hot isnt it? what should i do?)

I currently have 2 drives in my system (for windows), 1 ssd (120gb) samsung 840 evo, and one WD Blue 1tb 7200rpm (storage drive, keeps all my media (including stuff for editing, media cache) and excess programs). That 1tb is filling up and i need to buy another drive or re-purpose an old one (i have a 320gb 7200rpm drive lying around from an old dead macbook, and a 160gb 5400rpm hitachi hard drive that i feel would be useless for anything.)

As my Pictures folder is the folder that seems to be taking all the space (500+gb), im thinking of dedicating a new slow hard drive (wd green maybe?) (1tb) to it.

As for editing, would i be ok with having all the media on the wd blue 1tb? Or is it worth investing in a small ssd/dedicated hdd to put everything on (how big would i need?)

Any other tips to optimise my workflow, please let me know.

Currently i think my best option would be to upgrade ram to 16gb, as if i try to use premiere i seem to be eating into virtual memory, which slows everything down a ton.

Thanks

Gershy13

3 hours ago, Gershy13 said:

Upgrading to 16GB memory will help.  It will also help if you added additional HDD/SSD for storage.  If you have music, movies, photos, put them in a separate drive.  Keep at least one drive dedicated only for your project's resources and files.

Overclocking is up to you.  If you can get a stable OC, it will help.

Here's my setup:

i7 CPU that's 4GHz

32GB memory

500GB SSD (Drive C) for OS and applications

2x 2TB HDDs in RAID 0 for project files.  1TB+ SSDs are expensive.

I chose to use RAID 0 for the read/write speed improvement.  For backup I use an external NAS and drives.