Anyone had issues with "nightmare" settings on Doom?

Misanthrope

Games works fine with everything as high as ultra (1080p 60 FPS vsync on a 1070. Yes I know it's overkill) but when I enable the nightmare shadow settings the game freezes 10 to 30 seconds into the game (probably as soon as I significantly change the scene).

Also Vulkan mode just refuses to launch at all. Are there workarounds for these issues you might know of?

-------

Current Rig

-------

I'd bet cash that Vulkan being bitchy is something related to the 1070 and drivers not cooperating. Honestly, it wouldn't shock me if the shadow issues were also related to drivers.

I can't say too much for either one though, as both my PC and my brother's PC have AMD cards in 'em.

Edit: What's the CPU usage when it starts stuttering up?

Check out my guide on how to scan cover art here!

Local asshole and 6th generation console enthusiast.

8 minutes ago, Dan Castellaneta said:

I'd bet cash that Vulkan being bitchy is something related to the 1070 and drivers not cooperating. Honestly, it wouldn't shock me if the shadow issues were also related to drivers.

I can't say too much for either one though, as both my PC and my brother's PC have AMD cards in 'em.

Edit: What's the CPU usage when it starts stuttering up?

There is no stuttering at all: just an outright and unrecovereable freeze without any suttering before it just shits the bed. It freezes before it even registers on MSI afterburner btw.

Non-nightmare settings however (everything as high as it would go except from things that go up to nightmare) it runs flawlessly, no freezes no stuttering, running an i5 4440 (since I cap at 60 FPS i don't believe this should be an issue but I'm unsure).

-------

Current Rig

-------

Just now, Misanthrope said:

There is no stuttering at all: just an outright and unrecovereable freeze. It freezes before it even registers on MSI afterburner btw.

Non-nightmare settings however (everything as high as it would go except from things that go up to nightmare) it runs flawlessly, no freezes no stuttering, running an i5 4440 (since I cap at 60 FPS i don't believe this should be an issue but I'm unsure).

Yeah, it might just be drivers not wanting to cooperate with Doom.

1 minute ago, Dan Castellaneta said:

Yeah, it might just be drivers not wanting to cooperate with Doom.

I'm relunctant to upgrade due to the bugs new drivers had (though I believe those have been patched already) but I'll try that.

Also any idea why Vulkan just flatout refuses to launch?

-------

Current Rig

-------

5 minutes ago, Misanthrope said:

As far as I know, Vulkan hasn't been implemented for Nvidia yet.

[Out-of-date] Want to learn how to make your own custom Windows 10 image?

Desktop: AMD R9 3900X | ASUS ROG Strix X570-F | Radeon RX 5700 XT | EVGA GTX 1080 SC | 32GB Trident Z Neo 3600MHz | 1TB 970 EVO | 256GB 840 EVO | 960GB Corsair Force LE | EVGA G2 850W | Phanteks P400S

Laptop: Intel M-5Y10c | Intel HD Graphics | 8GB RAM | 250GB Micron SSD | Asus UX305FA

Server 01: Intel Xeon D 1541 | ASRock Rack D1541D4I-2L2T | 32GB Hynix ECC DDR4 | 4x8TB Western Digital HDDs | 32TB Raw 16TB Usable

Server 02: Intel i7 7700K | Gigabye Z170N Gaming5 | 16GB Trident Z 3200MHz

1 minute ago, Misanthrope said:

I'm relunctant to upgrade due to the bugs new drivers had (though I believe those have been patched already) but I'll try that.

Vulkan support has been kind of wonky on the Nvidia side, from what I've been able to gather.

3 minutes ago, DeadEyePsycho said:

Probably stupid to bring this up but I thought DigitalFoundry got it up. Maybe I'm wrong, but something to note.

5 minutes ago, DeadEyePsycho said:

....Why did it even gave the option to switch to it then? That's....ok I think I've gotten my full weekly dosis of stupid today with that one lol. But thanks for the tip nevertheless.

-------

Current Rig

-------

2 minutes ago, Dan Castellaneta said:

Probably stupid to bring this up but I thought DigitalFoundry got it up. Maybe I'm wrong, but something to note.

*insert "that's what she said" joke here*

-------

Current Rig

-------

1 hour ago, Misanthrope said:

1 hour ago, DeadEyePsycho said:

I've launched the Vulkan shortcut for doom with my 1060 and it starts up and runs just fine. I literally only played 30 seconds, so I'm not sure how stable it is. Didn't do any performance comparison or anything, but it was good enough to output 60 Hz. (vsync)

48 minutes ago, corrado33 said:

I've launched the Vulkan shortcut for doom with my 1060 and it starts up and runs just fine. I literally only played 30 seconds, so I'm not sure how stable it is. Didn't do any performance comparison or anything, but it was good enough to output 60 Hz. (vsync)

From what I remember, the game will launch but actually runs OpenGL regardless of whether or not Vulkan is selected and I couldn't find anything saying that it was ever enabled for Nvidia cards.

[Out-of-date] Want to learn how to make your own custom Windows 10 image?

Desktop: AMD R9 3900X | ASUS ROG Strix X570-F | Radeon RX 5700 XT | EVGA GTX 1080 SC | 32GB Trident Z Neo 3600MHz | 1TB 970 EVO | 256GB 840 EVO | 960GB Corsair Force LE | EVGA G2 850W | Phanteks P400S

Laptop: Intel M-5Y10c | Intel HD Graphics | 8GB RAM | 250GB Micron SSD | Asus UX305FA

Server 01: Intel Xeon D 1541 | ASRock Rack D1541D4I-2L2T | 32GB Hynix ECC DDR4 | 4x8TB Western Digital HDDs | 32TB Raw 16TB Usable

Server 02: Intel i7 7700K | Gigabye Z170N Gaming5 | 16GB Trident Z 3200MHz

Just now, DeadEyePsycho said:

From what I remember, the game will launch but actually runs OpenGL regardless of whether or not Vulkan is selected and I couldn't find anything saying that it was ever enabled for Nvidia cards.

Good to know. I've obviously done lots of research into it. ;) Is there any way to test it?

Nope. Nightmare in 1440p 100 FPS all the time. No stutters or lags at all.

CPU i7 6700k MB  MSI Z170A Pro Carbon GPU Zotac GTX980Ti amp!extreme RAM 16GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance 3k CASE Corsair 760T PSU Corsair RM750i MOUSE Logitech G9x KB Logitech G910 HS Sennheiser GSP 500 SC Asus Xonar 7.1 MONITOR Acer Predator xb270hu Storage 1x1TB + 2x500GB Samsung 7200U/m - 2x500GB SSD Samsung 850EVO