Blu Ray Rip

Go to solution Solved by paddy-stone,

If you already gave the company your money before, I wouldn't imagine you'd feel too guilty about getting the software from somewhere else would you?

I still use anydvd for ripping my blu-rays. It gets the job done and don't have any problems with the resulting rips. As long as you can get rid of the copy protection on the discs you could use any program to make the video file/format you want. You could even leave them in their uncompressed  state and play them that way if you like, but obviously the file sizes are much bigger.

We can't point you to places where you could get the software, so please don't ask as it will break forum rules and could result in an infraction.

Putting this in General Discussion because I'm not sure where else to put it

I'm trying to rip Blu-Rays from my Blu-Ray collection to a NAS so I can stream it to my Chromecast, etc. However, I'm having trouble with the rips - some discs can be ripped through handbrake no problem at all, but others refuse to be ripped.

I used to have AnyDVD HD until SlySoft closed down (in Feb) and I don't trust them give them my cash a second time

I tried makeMKV, but it doesn't work on the specific disc either, and it's a 60 day free trial before I have to pay for it

Any ways to rip blu rays using freeware or open source software? Tried searching around but I couldn't find much...

Remember to be a good citizen and choose a 'best answer' when your problem has been resolved!

(that way people know when a problem's been resolved)

Nope, you tried the only two tools I know of. CloneBD also exists but it was by slysoft too I think

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

1 minute ago, Sauron said:

Nope, you tried the only two tools I know of. CloneBD also exists but it was by slysoft too I think

Yeah, kind of a bummer how they "closed down", relaunched all their products but refused to let existing customers update their software (I doubt it would have cost them much to carry the keys over, wouldn't it?)

Remember to be a good citizen and choose a 'best answer' when your problem has been resolved!

If you already gave the company your money before, I wouldn't imagine you'd feel too guilty about getting the software from somewhere else would you?

I still use anydvd for ripping my blu-rays. It gets the job done and don't have any problems with the resulting rips. As long as you can get rid of the copy protection on the discs you could use any program to make the video file/format you want. You could even leave them in their uncompressed  state and play them that way if you like, but obviously the file sizes are much bigger.

We can't point you to places where you could get the software, so please don't ask as it will break forum rules and could result in an infraction.

Please quote my post, or put @paddy-stone if you want me to respond to you.

Spoiler
  • PCs:- 
  • Main PC build  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/2K6Q7X
  • ASUS x53e  - i7 2670QM / Sony BD writer x8 / Win 10, Elemetary OS, Ubuntu/ Samsung 830 SSD
  • Lenovo G50 - 8Gb RAM - Samsung 860 Evo 250GB SSD - DVD writer
  •  
  • Displays:-
  • Philips 55 OLED 754 model
  • Panasonic 55" 4k TV
  • LG 29" Ultrawide
  • Philips 24" 1080p monitor as backup
  •  
  • Storage/NAS/Servers:-
  • ESXI/test build  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/4wyR9G
  • Main Server https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/3Qftyk
  • Backup server - HP Proliant Gen 8 4 bay NAS running FreeNAS ZFS striped 3x3TiB WD reds
  • HP ProLiant G6 Server SE316M1 Twin Hex Core Intel Xeon E5645 2.40GHz 48GB RAM
  •  
  • Gaming/Tablets etc:-
  • Xbox One S 500GB + 2TB HDD
  • PS4
  • Nvidia Shield TV
  • Xiaomi/Pocafone F2 pro 8GB/256GB
  • Xiaomi Redmi Note 4

• Unused Hardware currently :-
  • 4670K MSI mobo 16GB ram
  • i7 6700K  b250 mobo
  • Zotac GTX 1060 6GB Amp! edition
  • Zotac GTX 1050 mini

2 minutes ago, paddy-stone said:

That's true, too. 

I'll have a look for that, actually

Did you buy AnyDVD under slysoft? 

OMG, sorry have just realised my mistake... I actually use DVDfab and have had it for a number of years now, I get all the updates too for free. It shows how often I use this software when I couldn't even remember it's name, lol :)

Please quote my post, or put @paddy-stone if you want me to respond to you.

Spoiler
  • PCs:- 
  • Main PC build  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/2K6Q7X
  • ASUS x53e  - i7 2670QM / Sony BD writer x8 / Win 10, Elemetary OS, Ubuntu/ Samsung 830 SSD
  • Lenovo G50 - 8Gb RAM - Samsung 860 Evo 250GB SSD - DVD writer
  •  
  • Displays:-
  • Philips 55 OLED 754 model
  • Panasonic 55" 4k TV
  • LG 29" Ultrawide
  • Philips 24" 1080p monitor as backup
  •  
  • Storage/NAS/Servers:-
  • ESXI/test build  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/4wyR9G
  • Main Server https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/3Qftyk
  • Backup server - HP Proliant Gen 8 4 bay NAS running FreeNAS ZFS striped 3x3TiB WD reds
  • HP ProLiant G6 Server SE316M1 Twin Hex Core Intel Xeon E5645 2.40GHz 48GB RAM
  •  
  • Gaming/Tablets etc:-
  • Xbox One S 500GB + 2TB HDD
  • PS4
  • Nvidia Shield TV
  • Xiaomi/Pocafone F2 pro 8GB/256GB
  • Xiaomi Redmi Note 4

• Unused Hardware currently :-
  • 4670K MSI mobo 16GB ram
  • i7 6700K  b250 mobo
  • Zotac GTX 1060 6GB Amp! edition
  • Zotac GTX 1050 mini

9 hours ago, paddy-stone said:

OMG, sorry have just realised my mistake... I actually use DVDfab and have had it for a number of years now, I get all the updates too for free. It shows how often I use this software when I couldn't even remember it's name, lol :)

Oh man I wish I found that before AnyDVD :( They looked kinda scammy though haha