Need help choosing headphones (some models that do not appear in the recommendations sticky)

YonathanZ

Hi,

So for gaming, I'm looking at open headphones. I have a Samson Go Mic on the way so I'm good in that regard.

Options for similar prices (I'm not from the US):

Used HE-350

Used HD-558

New SHP9500

Lightly used (just a few hours) AD-500X

I'm looking for great positional audio, mostly. I'll be using my AV receiver's headphone out.

Thanks.

Best soundstage would be the AD500x, but overall fun it would be HD558.

SHP9500 is good, similar with 558 but with slightly sharper treble, haven't tried the HE-350 tho.

My choice would be either AD500x or HD558.

Cpu R5 1600 @3.7ghz - MB Gigabyte AB350 Gaming 3 - RAM Corsair Vengeance LPX 8GBx2 @3000mhz - GPU Palit GTX 1070ti Dual - Storage Kingston FuryX 120GB SSD, WD 500GB Green HDD, Seagate 1TB HDD - PSU Seasonic X650 - Case Sharkoon S25-W - Display Zowie XL2411 - Peripherals Filco Ninja Browns, Zowie FK2 & Qck Hyperbeast Ed.

OK. Which is more comfortable? My on-ear headphones cause major pain, and I used to have ATH-M50 which were even worse - that's why I sold them.

If you are worried about comfort, definitely go with the AD500x. I own the Sennheiser game one, which are a similar fit to the HD558 and they are an unfortunate amount of clamping force for my head and can cause headaches after only 30 minutes of use. I assume you would have the same problem as me if you found the ATH-M50m to be uncomfortable. From what I understand, the AD500x have a very unique design that gives them pretty optimal comfort.

10 hours ago, YonathanZ said:

OK. Which is more comfortable? My on-ear headphones cause major pain, and I used to have ATH-M50 which were even worse - that's why I sold them.

26 minutes ago, Regii_BK said:

If you are worried about comfort, definitely go with the AD500x. I own the Sennheiser game one, which are a similar fit to the HD558 and they are an unfortunate amount of clamping force for my head and can cause headaches after only 30 minutes of use. I assume you would have the same problem as me if you found the ATH-M50m to be uncomfortable. From what I understand, the AD500x have a very unique design that gives them pretty optimal comfort.

Hard to say as everyones Head is a different size, I find the HD558 super comfy and haven't had any "pain" caused from to much clamping force. Can't comment on the AD500x's as I haven't used them.

Case - Fractal Design Arc Mini R2 : Mobo - Asus Maximus VI Gene : PSU - Corsair AX760 : CPU - Intel i7 4790k w/ EK-Supremacy EVO Copper/Acetal Water Block  : Memory - Corsair Vengence Pro 24gb 1600mhz : GPU - Evga GTX 780 Ti Classified w/ EK-FC780 GTX Classy - Acetal+Nickel Water Block : Storage - Samsung 840 Evo 250gb & 850 Evo 1tb SSDs, 2x 6TB External HDDs : Fans - 5x Noctua NF-F12 & 1x NF-S12A : Display - 24in Benq XL2420TE : Rads - Darkside LPX360 & LP240 : Pump/Res - EK-XRES 140 D5 Vario Pump

Here to say that I have no issues with comfort on Game Ones/HD 558s, after a bit of use they loosen up enough so they they're still going to stay on your head but can still be worn comfortably for days at a time. Each person's own experience will vary though, if there's an audio shop near you see if they have them and try them on.

Is there a particular sound you want out of these headphones, any music that you'd listen to using them? Each of those headphones will give a different sound so knowing what you like will help others push you in the right direction.

14 hours ago, YonathanZ said:

Ah you didn't quote me, no wonder i didn't have any notification lol.

ATH500x comfort is a hit or miss, some people like it some don't, i would say its super comfy cos its super light + the wing headband (this is the problem), HD558 is also comfy, if you have the chance, go to a nearby retailer and test them out first before getting one, audio & comfort levels are subjective.

m50 is well known for comfort issues, many users change their pads to make them more comfy.

Cpu R5 1600 @3.7ghz - MB Gigabyte AB350 Gaming 3 - RAM Corsair Vengeance LPX 8GBx2 @3000mhz - GPU Palit GTX 1070ti Dual - Storage Kingston FuryX 120GB SSD, WD 500GB Green HDD, Seagate 1TB HDD - PSU Seasonic X650 - Case Sharkoon S25-W - Display Zowie XL2411 - Peripherals Filco Ninja Browns, Zowie FK2 & Qck Hyperbeast Ed.

Well there's a guy who sells a used HD558. It's a bit of a drive to him but at least I can kinda test them for a few minutes.

My Noontec Zoro are closed on-ears but they sound excellent to me with good positional audio, I can hear when someone's below or above me on R6 Siege and Overwatch. However, after an hour or so my ears hurt a lot, and it's such a relief when I take them off, even for half a minute. They don't have much of clamp force, to be honest. Maybe it's the fact that they sit on my ears and not around them.

The AD-500X, I cannot really try. I'd have to order from abroad (Amazon US) and shipping is costly, so I don't really have the chance to test them.

I understand that the HD558 have laid-back sound with an emphasis on midrange instead of lows and highs, and I'm OK with that. I remember the M50s sounding rather aggressive and punchy, and it felt tiresome rather quickly.

AD500x by far. Best imaging and soundstage. 

HE-350 needs modification to be worth considering.

558 would be okay.

SHP9500 are pretty much slightly colder 558.

Don't tread on me. I squish, and white liquid comes out. It's icky, trust me.

1 hour ago, Moist_Sock said:

AD500x by far. Best imaging and soundstage. 

HE-350 needs modification to be worth considering.

558 would be okay.

SHP9500 are pretty much slightly colder 558.

I think the AD500x are out of the question with those ridiculous headband "wings".

How about HD558 vs SHP9500 as far as soundstage is concerned?

7 hours ago, YonathanZ said:

I think the AD500x are out of the question with those ridiculous headband "wings".

Have you actually tried them? I thought I would hate them due to prior experience with some Superlux, but when I put my friends on, they were actually really damn nice. The headphone is so light that it really doesn't make much of an impact.

How about HD558 vs SHP9500 as far as soundstage is concerned?

I'll just compare them entirely for you.

558 have slightly wider soundstage, and a slightly less rolled off low end. 558 will have more forward mids, and less bright highs.

9500 pads are hit or miss. I personally hated them, but other people love them. Build quality on the 9500's is a fair bit better.

Raw sound quality is about the same.

On 12/5/2016 at 3:20 AM, Moist_Sock said:

Have you actually tried them? I thought I would hate them due to prior experience with some Superlux, but when I put my friends on, they were actually really damn nice. The headphone is so light that it really doesn't make much of an impact.

I'll just compare them entirely for you.

558 have slightly wider soundstage, and a slightly less rolled off low end. 558 will have more forward mids, and less bright highs.

9500 pads are hit or miss. I personally hated them, but other people love them. Build quality on the 9500's is a fair bit better.

Raw sound quality is about the same.

Wow, that's a perfect comparison list, thank you!

I saw a video where a guy compared the two and said the HD558 have a "boxy" soundstage that is not as wide as the 9500, so it's not true? Another, on YouTube,  said that on the HD558 the soundstage kinda "skips", so it doesn't move as smoothly from left to right. 

5 hours ago, YonathanZ said:

I saw a video where a guy compared the two and said the HD558 have a "boxy" soundstage that is not as wide as the 9500, so it's not true? Another, on YouTube,  said that on the HD558 the soundstage kinda "skips", so it doesn't move as smoothly from left to right. 

They're not really using those terms correctly, but somewhat, yes.

The 558's have a slightly wider soundstage, but the 9500's have slightly better imaging [positional accuracy]

3 hours ago, Moist_Sock said:

They're not really using those terms correctly, but somewhat, yes.

The 558's have a slightly wider soundstage, but the 9500's have slightly better imaging [positional accuracy]

Do you think it's enough of a difference to matter while gaming?

1 minute ago, YonathanZ said:

Do you think it's enough of a difference to matter while gaming?

It depends on what game, but for competitive shooters like Counterstrike or Overwatch, yes. If you want to absolutely maximize your potential to play better, it definitely is a factor. Skill and actual game-knowledge trumps peripherals ten fold, but peripherals and equipment do count.

Oh, and if you find your Samson picks up too much of your keyboard/mouse, you can put a Vmoda Boom-Pro on 9500's, whereas you can't with 558's.

13 minutes ago, Moist_Sock said:

Oh, and if you find your Samson picks up too much of your keyboard/mouse, you can put a Vmoda Boom-Pro on 9500's, whereas you can't with 558's.

Well, a review I watched says the Go Mic doesn't pick up keyboard noise at all when set to moderate gain.

The thing is, a user on Reddit rated the HD558 higher for gaming. It's impossible to make a decision. :\

https://www.reddit.com/r/headphones/comments/4vwsml/comparing_the_shp9500_hd558_and_ad900x_from_a/

1 minute ago, YonathanZ said:

Well, a review I watched says the Go Mic doesn't pick up keyboard noise at all when set to moderate gain.

The thing is, a user on Reddit rated the HD558 higher for gaming. It's impossible to make a decision. :\

https://www.reddit.com/r/headphones/comments/4vwsml/comparing_the_shp9500_hd558_and_ad900x_from_a/

A single review on reddit doesn't mean much. Read as many reviews and get as many opinions as you can.

He probably rated the 558 high purely due to the larger soundstage, which makes things sound nicer, but the imaging on the 9500's would ultimately give you a better advantage.

Also, considering that reddit post you linked said "I found the mids to be even more recessed than the SHP9500'" about 558's, I'd take everything with a grain of salt. Sound is too subjective to get an outright definitive option. Try them both if you get the opportunity. 

I cannot test either. I've read many reviews, everything I could find really. Not much that compares both models, though. Both seem great. I just like the velour pads on the 558, they look perfect. 

I'm not sure where you live, but from what I've heard, you can return stuff to amazon for free, or just shipping cost. I can't confirm though since I can't use amazon due to location.

It might be an idea to order them, and see how the pads are on the 9500's, and return if you don't like.

I think my issue with the pads on the 9500's is due to my really curly coarse beard, which got kinda grabby with the pads. Other people, even those with a lot of facial hair, seemed to like the pads when I put them on them.

I won't buy the 9500 from Amazon, they're $20 cheaper on Newegg. Shipping is like 30 bucks so I can't just "test" them or I'll be out $30 + return shipping.

I think I'll order them nevertheless, though. Or the AD500x. Both are below $75 on Newegg. Anything at $75 or above and I'll have to add %37 in taxes. Maybe I'll be able to snatch a used AD700x below $75, we'll see.

AAAaaaahhhhh, help!

I just ordered the HD598 off amazon Italy, they had a great sale with. Now I find that the AKG K612 are even cheaper, at just 100 Euro. Which should I go with? The 598 haven't shipped yet.

Edit: Oh, wait a minute. The K612 are 120 ohms, I guess my receiver won't like them.