Laptop Ram

Go to solution Solved by Doramius,

From the specs of machine, it looks like you can add an 8GB stick and have 12GB.  However, the overall chipset and BUS seem to indicate being able to handle a 16GB stick.  There may be an internal limitation, but I cannot be certain.  I would recommend just the 8GB, but you can try the 16GB and see if it works.

Hello everyone!

I'm new here so if this topic isn't correct or annything I'm sorry!

So my problem:

I'm a student system ICT in Belgium.

I have a course with a lot of virtualization involved. I can run 2 windows machines on my laptop with no problem. But when I want to run an extra linux machine or a windows or whatever it al freezes because my ram is full.

Now the question:

I have an Asus k555 laptop, he has a total of 8GB of ram, i would like to add more but the problem is there is only one removable ram stick. It looks like the other 4GB is soldered directly on the motherboard.

Can i just replace the 4GB stick with a 8GB or 16GB stick or is this going to create problems with the ram already on the board?

From the specs of machine, it looks like you can add an 8GB stick and have 12GB.  However, the overall chipset and BUS seem to indicate being able to handle a 16GB stick.  There may be an internal limitation, but I cannot be certain.  I would recommend just the 8GB, but you can try the 16GB and see if it works.

beyond what @Doramius said, i'd like to mention that if you're on a budget this is a place worth checking out every so often, they usually have pretty good deals on ram sticks: (except for today... xD)

https://www.alternate.be/Outlet/Hardware/Geheugen

--

i'd also like to toss this idea in:

a few years ago i was in the same place as you, but with a 6GB ram laptop, and outrageous prices for laptop ram.

my solution was to do the virtualization on my desktop at home, which had plenty of ram and cpu horsepower (and a propper connection to download updates as opposed to school network BS...)

and whenever i needed access to my VMs i just teamviewered out to home.

30 minutes ago, Doramius said:

Thanks! I'm going to try the 8GB stick.

I will let you know how it went!

6 minutes ago, manikyath said:

beyond what @Doramius said, i'd like to mention that if you're on a budget this is a place worth checking out every so often, they usually have pretty good deals on ram sticks: (except for today... xD)

https://www.alternate.be/Outlet/Hardware/Geheugen

--

i'd also like to toss this idea in:

a few years ago i was in the same place as you, but with a 6GB ram laptop, and outrageous prices for laptop ram.

my solution was to do the virtualization on my desktop at home, which had plenty of ram and cpu horsepower (and a propper connection to download updates as opposed to school network BS...)

and whenever i needed access to my VMs i just teamviewered out to home.

Thanks for the tip!

And about the desktop idea, i don't have a desktop so that would not work for me.

But thanks anyway!?