My First Build Help

Go to solution Solved by Thinkfreely,
14 minutes ago, Joseph Hartness said:

Hey my name is Joseph I hope you guys are doing well today. Since this is my first build i will be listing specs below that i already have.

1. Cpu (6700k skylake i7) [have it]

2. Power Supply (600w evga) [have it]

3. Graphics Card nothing to fancy: Rx 460 (Hoping to upgrade to gtx 1080) [have it]

4. Case [will get one]

5. Storage [will get one]

6. Motherboard (?) [Need one, but i don't know which one to get]

7. Ram 16gb (2666mhz) [have it]

My budget for the motherboard is 130 dollars and i would like to know if there is any motherboard that is great for the price that supports all my listed specifications.

Sounds like what you will be building is very similiar to my rig when you upgrade as I have the GTX 1080 right now and the i7 6700k. For your budget you could get the motherboard I use, and same case. Its tempered glass and for the extra $20 over the regular nzxt elite it looks great. I added in the other parts as well in this list.

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/YywD7h

Here is a picture of the motherboard inside the case I am suggesting as well with my rig.

IMAG0136.jpg

Hey my name is Joseph I hope you guys are doing well today. Since this is my first build i will be listing specs below that i already have.

3. Graphics Card nothing to fancy: Rx 460 (Hoping to upgrade to gtx 1080) [have it]

4. Case [will get one]

7. Ram DDR4 16gb (2666mhz) [have it]

My budget for the motherboard is 130 dollars and i would like to know if there is any motherboard that is great for the price that supports all my listed specifications.

Edited by Joseph Hartness

CPU: i7-6700K | Motherboard: MSI Z170A Krait Gaming 3X | RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 8GB DDR4-2666 Memory

Solid State Drives: Two PNY 120GB 2.5" Solid State Drives | GPU: EVGA GeForce GTX 1070 SC GAMING ACX 3.0 Black Edition

PSU: Thermaltake Smart 650W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply | Case: Thermaltake Core V71 ATX Full Tower Case.

PCPartPicker

1 minute ago, Tiberiumpower said:

Is there a certain form factor you are looking for?

Form factor, i don't understand what that means, could you help me learn?

CPU: i7-6700K | Motherboard: MSI Z170A Krait Gaming 3X | RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 8GB DDR4-2666 Memory

Solid State Drives: Two PNY 120GB 2.5" Solid State Drives | GPU: EVGA GeForce GTX 1070 SC GAMING ACX 3.0 Black Edition

PSU: Thermaltake Smart 650W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply | Case: Thermaltake Core V71 ATX Full Tower Case.

PCPartPicker

Yes.

Ok so there are a few different sizes of motherboards. The common few are (smallest to largest) mini ATX, micro ATX, ATX, and EATX. The larger the motherboard is, the more components you can attach but the smaller it is the more modular it is. The one most people use is ATX and it is kind of the standard.

Just now, Tiberiumpower said:

Yes.

Ok so there are a few different sizes of motherboards. The common few are (smallest to largest) mini ATX, micro ATX, ATX, and EATX. The larger the motherboard is, the more components you can attach but the smaller it is the more modular it is. The one most people use is ATX and it is kind of the standard.

i just want the usual size that most people buy. So which ever is the norm then i would like to have that one.

PCPartPicker

2 minutes ago, Joseph Hartness said:

i just want the usual size that most people buy. So which ever is the norm then i would like to have that one.

look for ATX then. 

Personal build >  New-ish AMD main gaming setup           

PLEASE QUOTE OR @ ME FOR A RESPONSE xD 

Ok, are you going to overclock your CPU?

no stock speeds. I am not remotely interested in overclocking.

PCPartPicker

1 minute ago, Tiberiumpower said:

Ok, are you going to overclock your CPU?

if its his first build I don't think he knows. 

14 minutes ago, Joseph Hartness said:

4. Case [will get one]

7. Ram 16gb (2666mhz) [have it]

Sounds like what you will be building is very similiar to my rig when you upgrade as I have the GTX 1080 right now and the i7 6700k. For your budget you could get the motherboard I use, and same case. Its tempered glass and for the extra $20 over the regular nzxt elite it looks great. I added in the other parts as well in this list.

Here is a picture of the motherboard inside the case I am suggesting as well with my rig.

IMAG0136.jpg

I would rather agree on what we share, than fight on what we don't. - Myself

FULL PC SPECS ON PROFILE https://linustechtips.com/main/profile/454099-thinkfreely/

1 minute ago, Megah3rtz said:

Eh, some people do a lot of research before diving into it. Just checking.

Just now, Megah3rtz said:

I do know some advance subjects on building computers and basic knowledge. This is just my "first" build meaning that I already know the knowledge its just my first build.

PCPartPicker

2 minutes ago, Thinkfreely said:

IMAG0136.jpg

Is this a good sturdy build, meaning that it will last a long time?

PCPartPicker

1 minute ago, Joseph Hartness said:

I do know some advance subjects on building computers and basic knowledge. This is just my "first" build meaning that I already know the knowledge its just my first build.

Ok so last question I promise. Ddr3 or ddr4 ram?

Ok so last question I promise. Ddr3 or ddr4 ram?

DDR4

PCPartPicker

9 minutes ago, Joseph Hartness said:

DDR4

Ok I would recommend the

MSI Z170A KRAIT GAMING 3X

It is right at the end of your budget at 125 dollars but has plenty of features and expandability for the future.

Hope this helps!

20 minutes ago, Thinkfreely said:

IMAG0136.jpg

which CPU cooler is that 

2 minutes ago, Megah3rtz said:

which CPU cooler is that 

Deepcool Captain CPU cooler series, same with the fans.. Whats funny is I was running the H100 v2 with two 140mm fan for the radiator, and this thing keeps it cooler. I picked it because the them of the build is "Empire Strikes Back" so its black and white and still have some custom decals to add. My cpu never goes above 60C and its overclocked to 4.6

FULL PC SPECS ON PROFILE https://linustechtips.com/main/profile/454099-thinkfreely/

22 minutes ago, Joseph Hartness said:

Is this a good sturdy build, meaning that it will last a long time?

Yes I actually had Maximus Ranger ii7 which is a $200 mobo, that had more USB 3.0 drives and Sata drives and I downgraded because this is more then enough, and it will support Kaby lake if you upgrade, currently supports SLI and Crossfire, and has more then enough expansions slot as well an extra PCI slot.

I suggest you learn to overclock that chip. Especially if you plan on getting a z170 chipset for your motherboard and a gtx 1080

I say that cause you do not seem interested in overclocking and it would be a waste not to.

CPU: Ryzen 7 2700x cooled by Pure Rock Slim // RAM: Gskill Flare X 3200mhz CL14 2x16 32GB// GPU: Powercolor Red Devil RX 6650 XT 8GB// Motherboard: ASRock B450m Pro 4 // PSU: Seasonic G550 Gold 80+ // Storage: 4TB pcie nvme game drive, 512 GB m.2 sata3 OS Drive, 4 TB WD Red HDD // Monitor: Samsung S22D300 21.5" 1080p 60Hz, MSI 27" 1080p 144hz Freesync 1ms display // Peripherals:  Logitech fancy shmancy keyboard and moise with rgb and gaminess stuff, very fancy | Kingston HyperX Cloud Core headset