5960x vs 6900k HELP

Ok so I have been planing a pc build for some time now and I can not find a Motherboard that I like for 

Broadwell-E because asus seem to be the only company that has broadwell-e supported MBs atm and I dont have any cpus to update bios.

for other older x99 Mbs and all I have heard about asus is that there MBs suck so many reviews on many website saying do not buy said what you want about asus but I just don't have the money to take the chance.

But after looking at the 5960x I think I found a nice EVGA x99 MB that has nothing but good reviews on many websites. Keep in mind I don't need 128gbs of ram so there is really no need to go with the 6900k that I can see.

If you were me and had a to pick 6900k or 5960x witch would you pick? Also one more thing should I trust reviews on neweeg about asus mbs?  

1 minute ago, JohnFPS said:

Ok so I have been planing a pc build for some time now and I can not find a Motherboard that I like for 

Broadwell-E because asus seem to be the only company that has broadwell-e supported MBs atm and I dont have any cpus to update bios.

for other older x99 Mbs and all I have heard about asus is that there MBs suck so many reviews on many website saying do not buy said what you want about asus but I just don't have the money to take the chance.

But after looking at the 5960x I think I found a nice EVGA x99 MB that has nothing but good reviews on many websites. Keep in mind I don't need 128gbs of ram so there is really no need to go with the 6900k that I can see.

If you were me and had a to pick 6900k or 5960x witch would you pick? Also one more thing should I trust reviews on neweeg about asus mbs?  

I believe the 5960x is a better performer anyways.

Different PCPartPickers for different countries:

UK-----Italy----Canada-----Spain-----Germany-----Austrailia-----New Zealand-----'Murica-----France-----India

10 minutes ago, Stardar1 said:

Well, with an i7, GTX 1080, Full tower and flashy lights, it can obviously only be for one thing:

Solitaire. 

2 minutes ago, Stardar1 said:

What do you think about EVGA x99 MBs? 

4 minutes ago, JohnFPS said:

All of the motherboard manufacturers make boards that support Broadwell-E (BWE) and Haswell-E (HWE)

They sell more boards than any of the other manufacturers so you will see more issues popping up from time to time.  This is not to say that they have more or less issues than any other manufacturer.  In my case, they have been better than other manufacturers.

The 5960x and 6900k both support 128GB of memory.  Motherboard manufacturers had to realease a BIOS update after the 5960x launched, which enabled the 128 GB capacity.

If you were me and had a to pick 6900k or 5960x witch would you pick?

I would go with a 5960x.  I have tried and tested a lot of x99 chips (5820k, 5930k, 5960x, 6800k, and 6950x) and I stuck with the 5960x.  Overclocking on a decent 5960x is pretty fantastic.  Not only that, but if you get an Asus board, you can really crank up the CPU cache speeds on these chips.

Also one more thing should I trust reviews on neweeg about asus mbs?  

Newegg, like any other online retailer is filled with a great deal of trolls and hater reviews.  Your better served by going to forums like LTT and overclock.net and digging through the threads.  Don't solicit the information.  Go find it yourself.

13 minutes ago, JohnFPS said:

I don't need 128gbs of ram so there is really no need to go with the 6900k that I can see.

The 5960X supports 128GB of RAM. Every X99 i7, except the 5820K, officially supports 128GB. The 5820K is the only one that is officially limited, and to a still mostly overkill 64GB. That being said, one can still use 128GB of DDR4 with the 5820K with a mainboard that supports it (might require a BIOS update).

14 minutes ago, Stardar1 said:

The 5960X seems to be the better chip for overclocking, but the gains are somewhat marginal.

However, clock for clock, Broadwell-E and Haswell-E both perform within 1% of each other/

Then there are some notable power user features in Broadwell-E, the most notable of which is the pre-binned cores. One can leverage CPU affinity to prioritize the most powerful core on the chip.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

Oh wow uhm well....

Asus X99 motherboards are basicly fine.

However to firstly get the Broadwell-E support out of the way.

Its true that older X99 boards from the first batch dont support Broadwell-E cpu´s out of the box, and will need a bios update before it will work.

Some motherboard manufacturers like Asus and Gigabyte have a feuture to allows you to flash the bios without a supported cpu installed.

However as far as i know ONLY Asus and Gigabyte have this feuture on certain boards.

Wenn it comes to Gigabyte in particular this feuture is motherboard model depended, not every Gigabyte X99 board has it.

But i would personally recommend to grab a newly refreshed Broadwell-E supported board anyways.

Because there really is not reason to buy an older X99 board from said 2014 anymore.

Now we can start about EVGA X99 boards.

Well i can see that EVGA X99 boards are pretty decent.

However EVGA had some minor annoying design flaws with their first batch of boards like the X99 Classified for example.

Some of the design flaws i can name are pci-e slots to close to the ram slots, and ram slots with latches on both sides of the slot instead of only at one side.

That of course can be an issue wenn you want to install memory with a gpu allready installed.

And i could continue to name a few little design flaws.

For the rest, their boards are indeed pretty decent, and as far as the vrm implementation is concerned that is pretty decent aswell.

They use a fully digital IR implementations aswell just like Asus and Gigabyte.

Okay so which decent motherboards support Broadwell-E out of the box,

And are a nice fit for an 8 core part.

Asus:

- Rampage 5 ED10.

- Asus X99 Deluxe 2.

Gigabyte:

- Gigabyte X99 Designare EX.

- Gigabyte X99 Phoenix Sli.

- Gigabyte X99 Ultra Gaming.

EVGA:

- EVGA X99 FTW-K.

The Asus Rampage 5 ED10, Asus X99 Deluxe 2 or Gigabyte X99 Designare EX are probably the nicest choices.

But yeah it depends on what you could afford in the end.