i5 or i7

Hello!

Should I get an i5 or an i7 for gaming, streaming, video recording, and some video editing/uploading? And should I get a GTX 1060 or 1070 with them? I want to future proof this PC because I don't plan to upgrade for several years, so I want to know which will be the better investment. Will the i5 6600(k)/6500 last me a few years? If not, will an i7 6700(k) be better? Will the i5 series bottleneck the 1070, and will the i5 make video editing and uploading and rendering be significantly worse than the i7? Lemme know if you need more details, and thanks for helping!

i7 6700k would benefit you more than an i5, pair it with a 1070 and you'll be good to game/stream/edit for a while.

PC - CPU Ryzen 5 1600 - GPU Power Color Radeon 5700XT- Motherboard Gigabyte GA-AB350 Gaming - RAM 16GB Corsair Vengeance RGB - Storage 525GB Crucial MX300 SSD + 120GB Kingston SSD   PSU Corsair CX750M - Cooling Stock - Case White NZXT S340

Peripherals - Mouse Logitech G502 Wireless - Keyboard Logitech G915 TKL  Headset Razer Kraken Pro V2's - Displays 2x Acer 24" GF246(1080p, 75hz, Freesync) Steering Wheel & Pedals Logitech G29 & Shifter

Just now, Whiteout said:

Hello!

Should I get an i5 or an i7 for gaming, streaming, video recording, and some video editing/uploading? And should I get a GTX 1060 or 1070 with them? I want to future proof this PC because I don't plan to upgrade for several years, so I want to know which will be the better investment. Will the i5 6600(k)/6500 last me a few years? If not, will an i7 6700(k) be better? Will the i5 series bottleneck the 1070, and will the i5 make video editing and uploading and rendering be significantly worse than the i7? Lemme know if you need more details, and thanks for helping!

the I7 will help for video editing but in gaming the gains of hyperthreading are

negligible. 

6600K - ASUS Z270i Gaming ITX - 8GB Corsair  Vengence LPX DDR4 2400MHZ - EVGA 1070SC - 120GB HyperX Savage SSD - CX430 PSU:|

PSU tier list- 

i7 if you're gonna be streaming while gaming. If you are just gonna be recording gameplay to edit later, you can get away with the i5.

The 1070 is obviously a much better choice that the 1060, especially if you're playing demanding games. That being said, if all you're playing/streaming is csgo/minecraft, you wont need a 1070 at all, and even a 1060 3GB will be more than enough.

When in doubt, re-format.

The benefits of the i7 6700K over the i5 6600K in gaming have been well documented... and since you're doing some video editing and streaming on top of that, it makes even more sense to get the former. Grab the i7 6700K and you won't have to worry about upgrading for 5+ years. The same cannot be said for the i5 6600K.

As for GPU, it's a no brainer that the GTX 1070 is significantly stronger. If you can afford it, why not?

'Fanboyism is stupid' - someone on this forum.

Be nice to each other boys and girls. And don't cheap out on a power supply.

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7 4790K - 4.5 GHz | Motherboard: ASUS MAXIMUS VII HERO | RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro DDR3 | SSD: Samsung 850 EVO - 500GB | GPU: MSI GTX 980 Ti Gaming 6GB | PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G2 | Case: NZXT Phantom 530 | Cooling: CRYORIG R1 Ultimate | Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q | Peripherals: Corsair Vengeance K70 and Razer DeathAdder

7 minutes ago, Whiteout said:

Hello!

for u i7 6700k would be good and a i7-6800k would be ideal paired with a 1070 :) 

Build

Spoiler

Ryzen 5 1600, Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo, Gigabyte X470 Gaming 7. TeamGroup Viper 4133mhz 16gb, XFX RX 480 8 GB (1000mhz cause dying), Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB M.2 SSD, An old 1tb 5400 rpm 2.5" HDD, TeamGroup 480gb & Kingston 480gb ssds (May RAID 0), 1TB Western Ditigal HDD, EVGA 750W G2 PSU, Phanteks P400s

----------X-----------X------------

8 minutes ago, Whiteout said:

I want to future proof this PC

You can't, there's no such thing as future proof in this field. An i7 would benefit you, but it won't "last" longer than an i5.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

11 minutes ago, Sauron said:

You can't, there's no such thing as future proof in this field. An i7 would benefit you, but it won't "last" longer than an i5.

Quite the pessimist aren't ya :D

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

6 minutes ago, WereCat said:

What resolution and Hz you are going to play on?

I am currently, CURRENTLY, on a 1080p 60z monitor. I eventually plan to upgrade to a 1080p 144hz, or a 1440p 144hz monitor sometime in the future, perhaps in a dual monitor setup or something (haven't really been too concerned with that stuff as of yet)

2 minutes ago, Whiteout said:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I am currently, CURRENTLY, on a 1080p 60z monitor. I eventually plan to upgrade to a 1080p 144hz, or a 1440p 144hz monitor sometime in the future, perhaps in a dual monitor setup or something (haven't really been too concerned with that stuff as of yet)

For 144Hz definitely i7.

As for graphics card the 1070 would be ideal.

I play with 1060 on 1440p 165Hz .... if I want to push FPS above 100 then I need to play at high and some games on medium/high mix.

With 1070 I am sure most games will run well above 100FPS on high.

9 minutes ago, Whiteout said:

Just the guy who doesn't want people to waste money on hardware they don't need hoping somehow it will allow them to dealy an upgrade.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

Perhaps Future-Proofing is tough to pull off but "repurpose-proofing" is another case.

When you DO replace this computer, what do you intend to do with the old one? An i7 will be considerably more useful as a secondary PC - a game server, a living room gaming PC that doesn't need to be top-spec, or for older games, a second PC for LANning on, an office PC, etc. An old high-end PC will probably still have some very useful things it can do. An old mid-range or low-end PC is a lot tougher to repurpose.

I'm not convinced the i7 is THAT much more expensive that it's worth getting the i5. The i7 gives you that much more versatility, especially since it sounds like you're considering using that versatility. Again, down the road an i7 is more likely to be possible to repurpose than an i5, meaning you'll only be buying 1 PC next time rather than 2. I'm all for the i7 route, personally.

CPU: i9 9900k @ 5GHz RAM: 128GB Corsair @ 2666MHz Motherboard: Asus Z390 Prime P Graphics Card: EVGA 2060 OS Drive: 1TB NVME Other drives:860 Evo 1TB, Crucial BX500 500GB x 2, Seagate 2TB 7200RPM