Speed of USB and HDD

Hi all! New to the forum here but a subscriber on YouTube for about a year now.

I have a pickle:

I'm planning to buy an USB 3.0 thumb drive. I've gathered from reviews that it has a writing speed of 80 MB/s.

I've also tested my HDD with the same software that I've seen in those print screens (CrystalDiskMark) and it told me that my reading speed of the hard drive is 70 MB/s.

So I've been wondering if pairing these two would create a bottleneck for the USB. I mean, would the copying speed (writing on the USB) be limited to 70 MB/s?

That is correct.

Still faster than the usb 2.0 max speed of 60MB/s.

Max speed of usb 3.0 is a whopping 640MB/s!

Also welcome to the LTT forum! :)

1 minute ago, Manodragon said:

Hi all! New to the forum here but a subscriber on YouTube for about a year now.

I have a pickle:

I'm planning to buy an USB 3.0 thumb drive. I've gathered from reviews that it has a writing speed of 80 MB/s.

I've also tested my HDD with the same software that I've seen in those print screens (CrystalDiskMark) and it told me that my reading speed of the hard drive is 70 MB/s.

So I've been wondering if pairing these two would create a bottleneck for the USB. I mean, would the copying speed (writing on the USB) be limited to 70 MB/s?

no because the reading speed for the hdd should be faster

6600K - ASUS Z270i Gaming ITX - 8GB Corsair  Vengence LPX DDR4 2400MHZ - EVGA 1070SC - 120GB HyperX Savage SSD - CX430 PSU:|

PSU tier list- 

@NinJake

Hi and thanks for the quick reply! Also, Tool is my favorite band. What were the chances of you (the first reply) having an Alex Grey profile picture? Not a lot of Tool fans out there from what I know. Thanks for clarifying this for me.

@Matt_98 

What do you mean by "should be faster"? That really is the speed. My laptop is 3 years old and I guess that my HDD technology is older still.

HDD.PNG

That is awesome, good to see you know how to call users already as well! @Manodragon

Without doing so (You can also quote), users don't get acknowledged of a response. But yeah, while Tool isn't my favorite band, they are definitely up on the list and this picture was chosen due to an admiration of the ideology behind the artwork. (At least what I personally get out of the picture)

Something to note, if your laptop is 3 years old, does it even have a USB 3.0 port on it?

@NinJake

Nice! I also have "Net of Being" as my cover page of my fb account (and for the same reason, lol - idealization of whatever "god" is)  

Yes, the laptop has USB 3.0 - only one. It's an Acer Aspire V5-573G-54208G50akk to be specific. 

And if we're talking about I/O, do you know how can I find out if it can support HDMI 2.0? I mean, it has an HDMI input place-connector(whatever that is called) but how can I know for sure that it can fully use the 2.0 HDMI throughput - 4K at 60 FPS? This was also a pickle for me several weeks ago. 

6 minutes ago, Manodragon said:

do you know how can I find out if it can support HDMI 2.0?

Yeah doing a quick search I wasn't able to find out what type of HDMI it is. Looking at an online user manual also doesn't state what version of HDMI it has, I guess I would contact Acer themselves and see.

Otherwise if you already have a 4k display you could just plug it in and see if it looks smooth enough to be considered 60fps at the 4k.

5 hours ago, Manodragon said:

@NinJake

Hi and thanks for the quick reply! Also, Tool is my favorite band. What were the chances of you (the first reply) having an Alex Grey profile picture? Not a lot of Tool fans out there from what I know. Thanks for clarifying this for me.

@Matt_98 

What do you mean by "should be faster"? That really is the speed. My laptop is 3 years old and I guess that my HDD technology is older still.

HDD.PNG

ah I didn't see the read speed was also 70

6600K - ASUS Z270i Gaming ITX - 8GB Corsair  Vengence LPX DDR4 2400MHZ - EVGA 1070SC - 120GB HyperX Savage SSD - CX430 PSU:|

PSU tier list- 

19 hours ago, NinJake said:

Otherwise if you already have a 4k display you could just plug it in and see if it looks smooth enough to be considered 60fps at the 4k.

I will. I'm planning to buy an HDMI 2.0 cable too. It's not a lot (~$12) but I haven't got around it.

I have a 1.4 version and when I connect my laptop to the TV(4K) it lags quite a bit. - this could be because my integrated Intel GPU or my 720M Nvidia GPU cannot keep up with 4K. My laptop is only at FullHD.

• 3 weeks later...

A little update:

Bought the usb stick and I got speeds of even 85 MB/s write on it. So I'm very satisfied with it. Not sure of the reason. Maybe the HDD speeds weren't real (needed some more samples to get an average).